Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Universal has no theming at all (in either park)-Michael
    Apparently you've never actually been in IOA and haven't been to Universal Studios since the mid-90s. IOA is probably the 2nd best themed park in the world (behind TDS). Take one stroll through the Dueling Dragons queue and then come back here and tell us about theming.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Oh, Universal also doesn't have a tacky big *** hat/pin shop ruining its park.
    Actually, Universal Studios Hollywood, Japan, and Florida do run Pin trading operations and have pin carts and shop areas dedicated to pin trading, and selling such items as pin straps, collector bags and the like, just like Disney. However, their pin trading attempt has been less than popular with guests and you don't see anyone out there getting into it. Thank God.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ucfknight
    Apparently you've never actually been in IOA and haven't been to Universal Studios since the mid-90s. IOA is probably the 2nd best themed park in the world (behind TDS). Take one stroll through the Dueling Dragons queue and then come back here and tell us about theming.
    I have to say that IOA was a nice park when they first opened but the state of neglet I found at that park the last time I visited was alarming. The place needs major refurbishing. I would not concider it so high on my list of "Best parks in the World" but certainly it would be in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Actually, Universal Studios Hollywood, Japan, and Florida do run Pin trading operations and have pin carts and shop areas dedicated to pin trading, and selling such items as pin straps, collector bags and the like, just like Disney. However, their pin trading attempt has been less than popular with guests and you don't see anyone out there getting into it. Thank God.
    Yep, I've seen 'em. But I guess Uni attracts a higher caliber guest that isn't willing to throw $12.50 away for a piece of metal that cost 15 cents to make.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I have to say that IOA was a nice park when they first opened but the state of neglet I found at that park the last time I visited was alarming. The place needs major refurbishing. I would not concider it so high on my list of "Best parks in the World" but certainly it would be in the top 10.
    That seems to happen when the entire universal name and items get sold over.. and include the debt from expansions....

Thougn NBC should be referbishing that park somewhat... (while adding in more NBC things to Universal Studios.. perhaps when Nick leaves their soundstages it could become NBC?? or USA??? or Something they own...)

You should not compair the 2 parks.. they are each unique and different... (and one planned for years ahead.. and the other planned in short time)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    That seems to happen when the entire universal name and items get sold over.. and include the debt from expansions....

Thougn NBC should be referbishing that park somewhat... (while adding in more NBC things to Universal Studios.. perhaps when Nick leaves their soundstages it could become NBC?? or USA??? or Something they own...)

You should not compair the 2 parks.. they are each unique and different... (and one planned for years ahead.. and the other planned in short time)
    Your last sentence lost me. I am not comparing IOA to another park; not even it's sister studios park.

Whichis better Dis/MGM or Universal Orlando

Here is how I answer friends, family, etc. from out of town.

Disney= This is a camera and this is film, we put them together and you get a movie.

Universal= You have seen the movie(s), know how we did it, here is the ride based on the movie.

Now, make your decision. If it helps, Universal treats you like an adult where as Dis/MGM thinks you have no clue.

Enjoy your stay,
    Mark
    lepowphoto.com

• Yay, Blunt Force Trauma!!

Yep, I've seen 'em. But I guess Uni attracts a higher caliber guest that isn't willing to throw $12.50 away for a piece of metal that cost 15 cents to make.
    Hahahahahahaha!!!! "Higher" caliber..... hahahahaha. Most of my family and friends refer to IOA as "WTP": White Trash Park.

Now if we are just comparing the Studios... my vote goes to MGM, I feel more immersed in the 30's/40's vibe they have going, versus the large gray, concrete studio building motif.

As far as the themeing goes at IOA, while I find it somewhat impressive I feel that it lacks overall substance. It's cardboard cut-outs and rock formations.... whopeeee..... and I don't see why so many people are impressed with the Dueling Dragons que. You have almost the same que for Pirates of the Carribean... just toss in some skeleton bones, etc, etc.... and you have the DD que. IOA really does have some of the worst que themes.... don't even get me started on Spiderman and Hulk.

I think Disney does very well on the 'white trash' demo, itself.

And if you think Universal is all 'large, gray concrete studio motif', you've obviously missed most of the park. I would Disney-MGM Studios has about the same amount of generic, soundstage like buildings as Uni. ... the whole area from Little Mermaid back to Millionaire back to where the new stunt show is, has that look. As does the area near the ABC Commisary. So again, I don't see Uni cornering the market on this look.

The Dueling Dragons queue is very impressive, it was designed by WDI folks that were fired in one of their purges of talent. I would definitely put in par with Pirates, although I didn't know we were comparing queues.

[QUOTE=WDW1974]I think Disney does very well on the 'white trash' demo, itself.
    QUOTE] I respectfully disagree.... I don't see people in wife beaters chomping on cigars and smoking cigarettes around Disney or wearing shirts that say "If you can read this shirt you are sitting on my face". Yeah.... really classy....

[QUOTE=WDW1974]I would Disney-MGM Studios has about the same amount of generic, soundstage like buildings as Uni. ... the whole area from Little Mermaid back to Millionaire back to where the new stunt show is, has that look.QUOTE]

Again.... this is a small stretch of buildings versus almost every building in Univeral looking like this. Besides the MIB, Earthquake, and Mummy fronts.... I can't think of another "themed" building at the Studios.

The Dueling Dragons queue is very impressive, it was designed by WDI folks that were fired in one of their purges of talent. I would definitely put in par with Pirates, although I didn't know we were comparing queues.
    Rumors. And how is it more impressive then say ToT, Pirates, or Splash Mountain. I don't see anything that excitinga about it.

<<I respectfully disagree.... I don't see people in wife beaters chomping on cigars and smoking cigarettes around Disney or wearing shirts that say "If you can read this shirt you are sitting on my face". Yeah.... really classy....>>

You may not see them, but I've seen plenty of those type folks at both Disney and Uni parks.

<<Again.... this is a small stretch of buildings versus almost every building in Univeral looking like this. Besides the MIB, Earthquake, and Mummy fronts.... I can't think of another "themed" building at the Studios. >>

OK, so I guess all the buildings when you enter the park from the Lucy exhibit on down to the bungalows don't count? Or the entire San Fran themed area around Earthquake? Or the backlot area? Or even the Amity area near Jaws?

<<Rumors. And how is it more impressive then say ToT, Pirates, or Splash Mountain. I don't see anything that excitinga about it.>>

No. It is a fact. WDI designers worked on DD. I never said it was more impressive than the queues you list. And whether you see anything exciting is simply a matter of taste or opinion. Everyone's different. I happen to like it and think it is quite detailed and sets the mood/tone for the ride.

You may not see them, but I've seen plenty of those type folks at both Disney and Uni parks.
    You must be right.... I must have the darker sunglasses on when I go.

<<No. It is a fact.>> Proven how?

<<Or even the Amity area near Jaws?>> The last time I went to Martha's Vineyard it didn't consist of popcorn carts and carnival games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12