Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Does if feel like not much is going on...

Is it just me, but I feel like there is not much going on at WDW this year. Last year, for the 50th anniversary, each park got something. This year although there is a new ride going into Epcot, I just feel like there is not much going on.

I feel that there should be more, a new parade for MK or another new ride for DMGMS. It just seems like all the building is going into DVC resorts. I have nothing against them, but shouldn't there be more attractions being planned or built? It just feels so quiet that one can hear the crickets...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

Re: Does if feel like not much is going on...

ORDDU: No, duckling, you're not the only one who feels that way. My sisters and I have been thinking along the same lines as you. Perhaps this is why attendance is dropping off this year.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Is it just me, but I feel like there is not much going on at WDW this year. Last year, for the 50th anniversary, each park got something. This year although there is a new ride going into Epcot, I just feel like there is not much going on.

I feel that there should be more, a new parade for MK or another new ride for DMGMS. It just seems like all the building is going into DVC resorts. I have nothing against them, but shouldn't there be more attractions being planned or built? It just feels so quiet that one can hear the crickets...
    It's funny, because for many years a lot of Disneyland folk were kind of jealous of Florida for the same reason (more attention seeming paid to WDW...it seems to go in cycles sometimes)...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Blog Entries

well we can't get major E-tickets every year. I don't care if much doesn't go in right now, I just hope there's plans for a lot to go in during Epcots 25th.

We do have the living seas rehab taking place at Epcot, the Nemo show going in at DAK, and the toy story ride that's going into the studios, as well as work on the laughing floor at Magic Kingdom.

That's something taking place in every park right now, so I can't complain loudly although I really hope that the next major work is to either get Epcot completely back up to snuff or refurb HM and SM in the Kingdom.

• Self Congratulative

I just thought that the hype from Everest would just last a little longer... say umm... to the end of the year at least?

• Oh DDDD-DEAR, Poor Piglet

(this was written at 2AMish EST last night.... but the server went down and I could not post it till now)
    ------------------------------

Well there is the two new Nemo attractions (living seas and Theater in the wild). Everst opened in Jan of this year. Laugh floor going into time keeper. Millionare moving out this wed (hopfuly I can catch one of the last shows as I arrive that day). Castle turing into a hotel room. New Celebration starting soon.

umm.. I guess you could count the Milder/green side of Mission space.

Also the new Pirates and Princess party starting in January.

There is plently going on... its just not as hyped or as major as the changes for the 50th.
    Thank You for dropping by my post. I do hope you enjoyed your stay....

Blog Entries

Every year can't be a major celebration year either or the celebrations would just become routine.

• The one, the only...

I guess I am not talking about another hyped event. WDW is a big place. New firework shows, parades, restaurants, and attractions are just some of the new things that could be going on.

I was not looking for a named promotion like "A Year of a Million Dreams." That sounds so general it is hard to understand what it is about.

Yes, Epcot is getting a new ride. I am glad for that, but at the same time a pavilion has closed for good, Wonders of Life. Epcot is a big park and could easily stand a new firework show or festival or parade or something more. AK got Everest, and it is a hit. But at the same time Tarzan was closed. I know that Nemo is coming, but as I said, it is nothing like last year.

WDW is a big resort. There is a lot of room for new things. I just feel like WDW has been getting the short end of the stick, as with POTC. WDW with four major parks and several water parks, should have more attractions or rides opening each year. Disney somehow finds the money to open hundreds of hotel rooms each year.

Summer is the big season. We all know that. Most of the planned attractions are going to open in fall at the earliest. Wouldn't it have made more sense to start on these projects earlier so that they could open for summer? Or were these last minute ideas? It certainly feels like Everest was to be a one trick pony for this summer.

All being said, I am disappointed that more is not going on.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

I agree. There are things going on. But when you have four parks, you can't hype Everest as some justification for the stagnation of the MK.

And three Johnny Depp AA's in PoC, which has been in terrible need of a major rehab for a decade, doesn't equal a major or even minor new attraction.

There are some things I'm looking forward to ... like bothe Nemo-themed attractions.

But, overall, it's far too little.

It's going to be another year of marketing hype over substance with this Million Dreams BS they threw together after reading 'inconsequential' little sites such as this.

Then come the October press event, they'll announce things that have already been decided upon like the new Illuminations show for Epcot, the DVC at the Contemporary and maybe the Midway Madness for MGM as if they're surprises.

Blog Entries

From simply a business perspective, the Magic Kingdom doesn't need anything new. That park is blowing any park in America away already. So from a financial perspective, it's better to put money into the other parks that need work over putting something there.

That said, I'm not worried about the fiscal side of things, I want to see the Magic Kingdom remain magical and right now it's looking pretty sad at spots. If nothing else, refurb HM and Space so that they can once again be the gleaming starts they once were.

I don't care about how many people allegedly walk thru the turnstyles at the MK. My concern is the quality of the product and it has gotten very stale.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    From simply a business perspective, the Magic Kingdom doesn't need anything new. That park is blowing any park in America away already. So from a financial perspective, it's better to put money into the other parks that need work over putting something there.
    If you want to talk business sense, then I think that logic is flawed. Only thinking in the "right now" is going to kill you. Any successful business can tell you that.

Sure the MK is doing great right now, but seeing as attractions take about a year or two to develop, waiting until something is "needed or else" is going to prove too late for development to help. If the MK want's to stay where it's at, it needs to develop to stay ahead and not play a game of figurative leap frog.

So sure, the Magic Kingdom doesn't "NEED" anything new right now, but they will soon. The fact that development is on the minor side, well, that kind of scares me. The Laugh Floor isn't going to keep public interest that long.

• If We Can Dream It...

When I went this past june it was sort of boring with nothing new. I had already seen all the 50th stuff at Thanksgiving and last june too! Then I decide to not go back to WDW untill next summer and they announce this stuff. I'm really anxious but it does seem to be a little on the wimpy side, especially for MK. I don't think it's a little over the top to say things seem to be calming down around the world.
    - Horizonsfan

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    Very sad comment coming from a "fan". This is the same reason why WDW's management is hardly doing anything to improve the many offerings found within the MK gates. However, put yourself in my shoes and go around the World to visit the other DL parks around, so you can really *see* why the MK is the most neglected park and the most in need of major refurbishing and technical updates. It's insulting that WDW's management bank on guests' ignorance to get lazy and offer the least magical offerings of any DL park on Earth at WDW's MK, concidering the charge the most money to visit and claim to get the highest attendance of any park. I guess 17 million guests a year who haven't got a clue how good Disney could deliver are not worth the trouble of making the MK an even better, if not the best theme park on Earth. Very sad!!

Every year can't be a major celebration year either or the celebrations would just become routine.
    Of course not, but blame Marketing for coming up with the most stupid ideas and turning them into silly and abstract "celebrations" each and every year. "Magical Gatherings", "100 yrs of magic" "Millenium celebration" and now the ridiculous "Million Dreams" where only a handful of guests' dream will be granted... It's BULL at it's best. I ask why the MK's 35th is not being celebrated this coming Oct 2006 with a full blast celebration just like TDS' 5th is now being celebrated or DL's 50th, 45th, 40th, 35th etc etc etc, was celebrated in the past? You guys think EPCOT will get a real 25th anniversary celebration?? Think Again... and avoid being wishful.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricketfan
    I was not looking for a named promotion like "A Year of a Million Dreams." That sounds so general it is hard to understand what it is about.
    Thank you! You hit the bullseye with this comment. Then try to explain to your small kids visiting WDW why their wish wasn't granted when every banner on the park touts 1,000,000 dreams granted.. concidering there is room for only 17 million guests per year in the MK. Whatever happened to the balance of those other dreams that never came true??? My point is...the whole promotion is stupid and simply a disservice to the majority of guests. I don't know about you but I rather not have a "real" pirate destroy my enjoyment of POTC while he sits next to me during the ride, acting like a bad Johnny Depp impersonator from Vegas.

All being said, I am disappointed that more is not going on.
    Hey, escape to TDR this year for a real celebration at TDS and many special events at TDL. Or else, hope that DLP will come thru with a decent 15th anniversary celebration this coming April 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by horizonsfan92
    I don't think it's a little over the top to say things seem to be calming down around the world.
    Actually it is over the top. TDS' 5th celebration just got kicked off and it's massive (see my pics in the Tokyo section), beginning a year of 4 seasons of different entertainment for this park alone. Then DLP's 15th anniversary will start next year..
    However, it is safer to say that WDW's stealing DL's 50th celebration and coming up with yet another (supposedly) World Wide "Million Dreams" promotion.. has been quite over the top in itself.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 07-18-2006 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Very sad comment coming from a "fan". This is the same reason why WDW's management is hardly doing anything to improve the many offerings found within the MK gates. However, put yourself in my shoes and go around the World to visit the other DL parks around, so you can really *see* why the MK is the most neglected park and the most in need of major refurbishing and technical updates. It's insulting that WDW's management bank on guests' ignorance to get lazy and offer the least magical offerings of any DL park on Earth at WDW's MK, concidering the charge the most money to visit and claim to get the highest attendance of any park. I guess 17 million guests a year who haven't got a clue how good Disney could deliver are not worth the trouble of making the MK an even better, if not the best theme park on Earth. Very sad!!
    I think you misunderstood my comment. As a fan I am as saddened as you. I was simply stating why Disney isn't doing it. I don't think it's right, but when they're looking at parks that need an influx of work they're looking at the turnstyles and seeing the MK blowing everyone away and seeing the other parks only being half day parks. That's where they're going to drop the money.

I don't think that's right. At the very least the Magic Kingdom needs some refurbishments to three of their classic rides. I don't agree with their decisions to let MK stagnate, I was as disapointed as you on my last visit to find things dirty, rude CM's, and clunky rides. The magic just wasn't what it should be.

I also despise these global celebrations. Let each park stand on their own, give celebrations where they're due such as Epcot's 25th and MK's 35th. Unfortunately, there's some numbskulls who think it's best to market the parks as a global phenomenon and that just doesn't work. Didn't Tokyo and Hong Kong completely abandon the HCOE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast