Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Tomorrowland Skyway...

If a spaceman like Buzz doesn't fit the theme of TommorowLand what does?
    I miss having the skybuckets around but most amusement parks have gotten rid of their skybucket rides because of the issues with safety and weather. I don't think losing the skybuckets was a great tradgedy, I just hate how they've left the stations sit there.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Doesn't matter!
    They added movement, fun, and color to the sky.
    Alright, I'll take your perspective and compare based upon my own views.

Yes, I agree they added some kinetic animation to the park. They were a good source of transportation and could somewhat be described as "fun."

However:

1. They made everything out of scale, ruining the effect of the forced perspective. When you have the top of the casle at 1:7 scale and big buckets flying by, it just seems like it ruins that effect. As a modeler myself, that was one thing that always bugged me. Like a fine trainset, I want everything to be in scale and fit together. To me, they were an eyesore and while "cool" took away the majesty of the castle.

2. They didn't comply with the new safety standards set by Disney as far as ease of evacuation.

3. They had no specific "theme," and surely, you can't compare a space themed Buzz ride to ..... buckets on a string.....

4. They're expensive and require a lot of maintanence.

5. Two words... SPIT TARGETS

To me it just seems like it was a no brainer to get rid of them.

• Meega, nala kwishta!!

I'm sure somebody here knows... What safety measures were on the skyway? I never went on them for fear I'd fall out/it'd fall off the track.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart
    Alright, I'll take your perspective and compare based upon my own views.

Yes, I agree they added some kinetic animation to the park. They were a good source of transportation and could somewhat be described as "fun."

However:

1. They made everything out of scale, ruining the effect of the forced perspective. When you have the top of the casle at 1:7 scale and big buckets flying by, it just seems like it ruins that effect. As a modeler myself, that was one thing that always bugged me. Like a fine trainset, I want everything to be in scale and fit together. To me, they were an eyesore and while "cool" took away the majesty of the castle.

Maybe at WDW. But at Disneyland, they went through the Matterhorn - and that gave the whole snow-village theme look in Fantasyland and a cool vechicle in-the-air look for the Tomorrowland side. Plus, at DL, I really think some people, as noted before on this site, take the Matterhorn's location to be both in FL and TL.

2. They didn't comply with the new safety standards set by Disney as far as ease of evacuation.

That's hardly an excuse. Reinforce the new structures so that they comply to eathquate safety standards (that's a big one here in CA).

Also, train the CMs in case there was a real emergency. No offense, but if a major earthquake, god-willing, did hit the DL Resort and there was total devestation, you would be just as screwed and helpless on the Jungle Cruise as you would be in a Sky Way Bucket.

3. They had no specific "theme," and surely, you can't compare a space themed Buzz ride to ..... buckets on a string.....

Buzz is a toy - how does that fit with the TOMORROWLAND theme at all?

Sure, its a bit spacey, but still...

Anywho, like I mentioned in my 1st response, DL has the Matterhorn and WDW does not.

So does Pirates. Oh and don't tell me Disney doesn't have the money...

And plus, this could be the next step for Disney. They can improve on the tech for the Sky Way system and make it more cost efficient, prettier looking, and easy to maintain.

Oh, and sure they are expensive, but look how much money Disney is doing just for the Subs.

5. Two words... SPIT TARGETS

Guards at the end on the ride. Or create a new vechicle of some sort that would disable this rude feature on the average stupid guest.

To me it just seems like it was a no brainer to get rid of them.
    look up.

• Banned User

And ont op of that, like I mentioned, they were great transportation systems to get around the parks. And at DL, that can be a hard task.

I don't know, I think Disney would be smart if they added it back in - with the new Nemo Sub ride coming.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Hopefully trying to burn those wretched things. I can't believe people rant about Stich Great Escape being so lame and then drooling over the skyway which never had any theme, asthetic value or design, or excitement. Sorry, but that's just my opinion.
    I don't particularly care about either. If any extinct attraction I'm going to drool over, it's Timekeeper for MK, Horizons, and World of Motion for EPCOT.

I this Figement was just reporting that the buckets were there, not a good or bad thing, just a fact.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I was just at the MK on Friday (7-21) and noticed the doors open as well. It looked like there were several buckets inside. I also noticed this last fall, when the door on the back of the Tomorrowland Station was open. So based on those 2 sightings, I'd say its full of all the buckets. Didn't get a picture though.

Brad

• Pilot EdForceOne

Here's a hint.. if you are going to do a point by point rebutle to someone... try sticking to their points. You replied with sometimes incorehent thoughts on other random things.

Maybe at WDW. But at Disneyland, they went through the Matterhorn - and that gave the whole snow-village theme look in Fantasyland

Still doesn't address the scale problems at all. Plus, you might notice this thread in the WDW forum.

That's hardly an excuse. Reinforce the new structures so that they comply to eathquate safety standards (that's a big one here in CA).

Also, train the CMs in case there was a real emergency. No offense, but if a major earthquake, god-willing, did hit the DL Resort and there was total devestation, you would be just as screwed and helpless on the Jungle Cruise as you would be in a Sky Way Bucket.

Uhh.. last I checked.. you don't fall 30ft if the jungle boat rocks. Plus.. again.. doesn't mention anything about evacuations! If a jungle boat were to go kaput.. they'd simply ferry people off in another boat if things got bad. Imagine how disruptive it would be to bring in 'cherry pickers' to get everyone off the buckets if you couldn't get the line operational?
    Buzz is a toy - how does that fit with the TOMORROWLAND theme at all?

Sure, its a bit spacey, but still...

That has to be the biggest understatement on this site in along time. Buzz's character is a space character from the future! Look past ToyStory.. the character is still active in his own cartoon series which isn't set in the 1990s.

So does Pirates. Oh and don't tell me Disney doesn't have the money...

Yes but pirates is a E-ticket DRAW! The buckets were a hold over from the past that are a dated amusement ride.

And plus, this could be the next step for Disney. They can improve on the tech for the Sky Way system and make it more cost efficient, prettier looking, and easy to maintain.
    For a style of attraction that no one gives a poo about. If anything it would be a nostaglia ride from the git-go!

Oh, and sure they are expensive, but look how much money Disney is doing just for the Subs.
    Again.. for an entirely different class of attraction!

A.D.D please check which forum you are in this is about WALT DISNEY WORLD's Skyway at the Magic Kingdom not Disneyland. So until you actually visit it your comparisons mean nothing to most people on the board. The disproportion Taggart was referring to was in relation to Cinderella Castle not the Matterhorn or SBC. Cinderlla castle is about 20-30 feet taller than Matterhorn

If DL is too big or difficult for you to walk from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland then you shouldn't be in a themepark.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 07-23-2006 at 07:03 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic
    A.D.D please check which forum you are in this is about WALT DISNEY WORLD's Skyway at the Magic Kingdom not Disneyland. So until you actually visit it your comparisons mean nothing to most people on the board. The disproportion Taggart was referring to was in relation to Cinderella Castle not the Matterhorn or SBC. Cinderlla castle is about 20-30 feet taller than Matterhorn

If DL is too big or difficult for you to walk from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland then you shouldn't be in a themepark.
    I know what forum I am in Andrew.

I'm not stupid. Oh, and I quite agree, the Skyway buckets looked bare at WDW. But not at DL, so I was just referring to that.

And no, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is not a far walk, but when its insanely packed - like the park is most of the time now - the Skyway would make the transition a lot quicker if Disney devised a newer Skyway system.

I also find that little comment a bit offensive as well. I can walk around Disneyland no problem for 18 hours straight. My friends have to drag me out of the park basically - so yeah, I'm good at theme parks.

And I am assuming since WDW is just naturally big, the walkways are probably wider and therefore WDW doesn't really need the ride.

But a lot of people here in Anaheim want to see the return of the Skyway as well as the PeopleMover. Both may very well be coming back, especially the latter of those two.

I guess Skyway doesn't mean that much to WDW folks. They should use that Skyway queue for something though...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    And no, Fantasyland and Tomorrowland is not a far walk, but when its insanely packed - like the park is most of the time now - the Skyway would make the transition a lot quicker if Disney devised a newer Skyway system.
    In my experience a skyway is not an effective means of transportation at a theme/amusement park when it is crowded. The exact opposite tends to be true. The limited capacity of a skyway and the perception of easy transportation makes lines much longer than just making the trek.

Everybody whines about the off the shelf attractions and carnival atmosphere at Paradise Pier or Dino-Rama while at the same time are head over heals for the Skyway. My biggest problem with the Skyway has always been that it enables guests to see the rooves and backstage areas. All of those specifically planned views are completely compromised.

But a lot of people here in Anaheim want to see the return of the Skyway as well as the PeopleMover. Both may very well be coming back, especially the latter of those two.
    I find it hard to believe that the Skyway ever even seriously comes up in discussion about the future of any Disney park.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    In my experience a skyway is not an effective means of transportation at a theme/amusement park when it is crowded. The exact opposite tends to be true. The limited capacity of a skyway and the perception of easy transportation makes lines much longer than just making the trek.

Everybody whines about the off the shelf attractions and carnival atmosphere at Paradise Pier or Dino-Rama while at the same time are head over heals for the Skyway. My biggest problem with the Skyway has always been that it enables guests to see the rooves and backstage areas. All of those specifically planned views are completely compromised.

I find it hard to believe that the Skyway ever even seriously comes up in discussion about the future of any Disney park.
    No, it wasn't effective - but I was hoping Disney could totally create a new technology to make any Skyway ride safer, quicker to load, cost efficient, and pretty looking.

As for seeing the buildings, I agree. Maybe Disney could decorate or repaint the roofs of the FL showbuildings.

And as to Disney adding back the Skyway, I was refering to fans wanting it back.

And it doesn't matter, there are other attractions, such as the Matterhorn, that let you see showbuildings as well.

• Self Congratulative

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Everybody whines about the off the shelf attractions and carnival atmosphere at Paradise Pier or Dino-Rama while at the same time are head over heals for the Skyway.
    A point I completely forgot about.

I can ride an unthemed skyway anywhere. I wouldn't want Disney to throw a Zipper or Himalaya in there anywhere so why would we want this common State Fair/Carnival ride. Sure, it was cool in the 70's, but technology surpassed it.

A Disney Dreamer,
    I do agree it was a great form of transportation. One thing that comes to mind from your posts is you seem to keep mentioning the solution of "Disney can come up with the technology to make it work."

If you're thinking like that, why can't you just take it a step further. If Disney has the ability to create and innovate, wouldn't you say it would be smarter to develop an entirely new way to transport people? One that isn't a common staple of amusement parks. Something that fits the theme, merits interest throughout the age demographics, blends into the atmosphere, is safe, cost effective, and reliable? If you think that's impossible, you're probably staring at the interior walls of that box.

To me, going back to the skyway would be un-imaginative at best.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    If any extinct attraction I'm going to drool over, it's Timekeeper for MK
    No doubt! I guess we people who like that attraction are a dying breed... The people who would rather watch the History channel than MTV.... or maybe that's just me. Anyways. I absolutely loved Timekeeper and think its demise was a complete mistake.

• Banned User

A point I completely forgot about.

I can ride an unthemed skyway anywhere. I wouldn't want Disney to throw a Zipper or Himalaya in there anywhere so why would we want this common State Fair/Carnival ride. Sure, it was cool in the 70's, but technology surpassed it.

A Disney Dreamer,
    I do agree it was a great form of transportation. One thing that comes to mind from your posts is you seem to keep mentioning the solution of "Disney can come up with the technology to make it work."

If you're thinking like that, why can't you just take it a step further. If Disney has the ability to create and innovate, wouldn't you say it would be smarter to develop an entirely new way to transport people? One that isn't a common staple of amusement parks. Something that fits the theme, merits interest throughout the age demographics, blends into the atmosphere, is safe, cost effective, and reliable? If you think that's impossible, you're probably staring at the interior walls of that box.

To me, going back to the skyway would be un-imaginative at best.

No doubt! I guess we people who like that attraction are a dying breed... The people who would rather watch the History channel than MTV.... or maybe that's just me. Anyways. I absolutely loved Timekeeper and think its demise was a complete mistake.
    Agree. Well maybe something similar to Skyway.

Just a vechicle going through the Matterhorn looked so cool. You know Matterhorn probably wouldn't be in the location it is today if it weren't for the Skyway. The Skyway's Main Tower was the direct point Walt wanted the Matterhorn to be so he could cover the visually inappropriate tower in his park.

Lol, there I go again - all about DL!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

...the skyway which never had any theme, asthetic value or design, or excitement.
    This is going to be one of those cases where I agree technically with most of your arguments, but I still don't care. I really enjoyed the skyway, both in WDW and in DL, and I miss them very much, both for the fun of the ride as well as for the kinetic excitement that they added both to Tomorrowland and to Fantasyland. I always thought they were very nicely themed, at least in Tomorrowland - very futuristic. I always wished that they would've done more theming with the rooftops. But then I also enjoyed getting to see something with a backstage aspect to it, so that was cool, too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast