Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Tomorrowland Skyway...

Since figment1986 was kind enough to post that rather sad photo of the now abandoned Tomorrowland Skyway Station (I think I see Jesus in that doorway, BTW )...I thought I'd post a link to a snippet from a Super 8 Sound home movie (this was before home video camcorders) that I made of that same station at the happier beginning of it's life, while most of Tomorrowland was still under construction (that's Space Mountain being built behind that orange construction wall).

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uplo...rrowskyway.wmv

It's a Windows Media Player file, and if you don't already have that program on your computer, you can download it for free from Microsoft's web site for PCs and Macs.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    I thought I'd post a link to a snippet from a Super 8 Sound home movie (this was before home video camcorders) that I made of that same station at the happier beginning of it's life, while most of Tomorrowland was still under construction (that's Space Mountain being built behind that orange construction wall).
    That's awesome! Thanks for posting! Damn you all are really making me want to go raid my parent's house for all our old film and slides!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Since figment1986 was kind enough to post that rather sad photo of the now abandoned Tomorrowland Skyway Station (I think I see Jesus in that doorway, BTW )...I thought I'd post a link to a snippet from a Super 8 Sound home movie (this was before home video camcorders) that I made of that same station at the happier beginning of it's life, while most of Tomorrowland was still under construction (that's Space Mountain being built behind that orange construction wall).

It's a Windows Media Player file, and if you don't already have that program on your computer, you can download it for free from Microsoft's web site for PCs and Macs.

Awww What a great video! I loved the overhead shot of 20K Leagues, miss that one to. *sniffs*

I know it wasn't themed right and it didn't really fit in but I love to people watch, it was just a great break and you felt like you were in the clouds above MK.

• Banned User

This is not enough.. you wet our apatites... look... COP under construction... and you can see contemporary from in tomorrowland.. and the old skyway shope... and the attraction I ridden to get that view for the photo is under construction...

They're probably waiting for them to rot some more so they can ebay them or ship them to Mouse Surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    This is going to be one of those cases where I agree technically with most of your arguments, but I still don't care. I really enjoyed the skyway, both in WDW and in DL, and I miss them very much, both for the fun of the ride as well as for the kinetic excitement that they added both to Tomorrowland and to Fantasyland. I always thought they were very nicely themed, at least in Tomorrowland - very futuristic. I always wished that they would've done more theming with the rooftops. But then I also enjoyed getting to see something with a backstage aspect to it, so that was cool, too.
    Good point, oldtimer.

The one thing that has been almost completely obliterated from the MK is its kinetics. Not just the Skyway passing over a lagoon of subs and a mini-raceway. But also a Main Street with vehicles from the era traversing the distance from Town Square to the Hub. Or the Swan Boats gliding across the waters around the castle. Or Indian canoes, keelboats and steamers traveling on the Rivers of America. If they ripped out the peoplemover, which likely has been talked about at times, there'd be no movement at all except for the triple-wide guests pushing double wide strollers below!

Just part of the WalMarting of the product ... sigh ...

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Awww What a great video! I loved the overhead shot of 20K Leagues, miss that one to. *sniffs*

I know it wasn't themed right and it didn't really fit in but I love to people watch, it was just a great break and you felt like you were in the clouds above MK.
    Okay...just for you...here's a two minute Super 8 Sound film continuation of that 1974 Skyway ride. The shot at the very end shows in the distance that whatcha-ma-call-it-do-hickeythingy that turned the Skyway line at a right-angle.

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uplo...skyway1974.wmv

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986
    This is not enough.. you wet our apatites... look... COP under construction... and you can see contemporary from in tomorrowland.. and the old skyway shope... and the attraction I ridden to get that view for the photo is under construction...
    Okay...okay! Give me a little time to scour some reels and see what I can come up with re: Tomorrowland under construction...for you. I got a real job and life, don't 'ya know?

figment1986...we were headed off-topic here in this Skyway thread, so I started a new thread with some new film clips for you.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31980

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Okay...just for you...here's a two minute Super 8 Sound film continuation of that 1974 Skyway ride.
    Now, how can anybody look at a film clip like that and not see how cool the skyway was???

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Everybody whines about the off the shelf attractions and carnival atmosphere at Paradise Pier or Dino-Rama while at the same time are head over heals for the Skyway. My biggest problem with the Skyway has always been that it enables guests to see the rooves and backstage areas. All of those specifically planned views are completely compromised.
    Well the Skyway was at Disneyland - a place full of top-notch attractions.

DCA HAS NOTHING of that sort when I think about it - that's why people hate the carnival rides - they are cheap ways to make up for lack of E-Tickets.

But guests aren't stupid.

Anyhow, going back to the Skyway, like mentioned, I WOULD LOVE to see this ride return in some way or form. I think the ride could have a lot of potential, both at WDW and DL - but aw well.

• Monorail Racer

I always loved riding the Skyway. Yeah, you saw a lot of rooftops, but you also overlooked 20k, the Grand Prix, could get an overview of TL and FL as you rode by (what do the lines look like, Mom?), etc. I guess when I rode them all those years, I wasn't really spending a lot of time analyzing scale. I was just having fun.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Well the Skyway was at Disneyland - a place full of top-notch attractions.
    No, you are just solidly re-enforcing the idea that there is a double-standard. If it was in the MK.. its automatically good regardless. Come on... Dumbu? Carnival Ride.. The carosaul? The orbitor rockets? The tea party? the skyway? All simple carinval rides with simple disney coverings.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    No, you are just solidly re-enforcing the idea that there is a double-standard. If it was in the MK.. its automatically good regardless. Come on... Dumbu? Carnival Ride.. The carosaul? The orbitor rockets? The tea party? the skyway? All simple carinval rides with simple disney coverings.
    So, those should all go too, huh?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

But it's the Disney coverings that make them special! You can't tell me that there's anything special about the Maliboomer or Mulholland Madness.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    So, those should all go too, huh?
    You completly missed the point. I don't even know why I bother replying to your posts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast