Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

WDW Splash/America Sings

I had one of those :confused: "DUH..." moments this afternoon as I was reading the boards. I was reading the thread about the differences between Disneyland and WDW's Magic Kingdom, and some of the posters were talking about WDW's Splash Mountain. Then all of a sudden, I was, like, wait a minute...

So here's my question: Since WDW never had an America Sings attraction, what characters populate Splash Mountain in Florida? Did they remanufacture the 15 (or so) year old original animatronics from America Sings? Did they come up with completely new characters? What's the deal?
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Yes, they've recreated the characters for the other Splashes.

I don't know if the robotics inside are the exact same, although I doubt it. The original America Sings AAs designed by Marc Davis were quite ahead of their time by what I've heard (one even appeared to be walking upstairs,) the new AAs are probably designed just to do whatever it is they do in the mountain.

• Banned User

Not sure about this but I think WDW's and TDL's Slash Mountains contain similar AAs plus many more not found in the DL version.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Not sure about this but I think WDW's and TDL's Slash Mountains contain similar AAs plus many more not found in the DL version.
    I haven't seen more that arn't found in the Disneyland version but there might be (I'd have to review my ride videos)

I've got a pretty good idea that Tokyo's and WDW's were manufactured specialy for what they do and arn't reused, their form seems a bit heavier then Disneylands versions and the movements are a bit different

while Tokyo's and WDW's are a bit longer then Disneylands I've noticed that with the exception of a few scenes being longer overall no version is really missing anything in praticular (WDW/Tokyo have a scene at the rabbits house with them watching a projection of the Brer's up in the hills while at Disneyland they have an extra song that sings "don't you go to the laughing place" with the mom rabbit and a mom possum warning their children that I haven't seen in the other versions)

• Banned User

Ok, todays stupid question. (brought to you in part by "lack-o-sleep". Keeping you awake when you really should be in bed)

What is "America Sings"?

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

America Sings was an attraction much like Country Bear Jamboree or Carousel of Progress. It was housed in the carousel theater after Carousel of Progress was taken out. It was basically the same as country bear jamboree, they were singing animal audio animatronics.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    There were a few AA figures that were created for Tokyo and WDW (Br'er Road Runner and the hopping Br'er Rabbit come to mind) but most AA figures were created from the the original America Sings/DL Splash sculpts.

• Minion

Most of the America Sings characters made it into Disneyland's Splash Mountain... minus the Old Grey Mare, Sam the Eagle, and Mr. Owl.

From what I have heard, our weasles (in the final laughing place scene) are actually the originals from Disneyland. Are there jumping weasels in Disneyland's Splash Mountain?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I haven't seen more that arn't found in the Disneyland version but there might be (I'd have to review my ride videos)
    Cant someone confirm this, instead of posting what they THINK the facts may be. By the way, Jspider is one of my favorite posters, he makes me laugh. I think he thinks Disney should run all their plans past him first and get his ok. LOL.

• Be-Bop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    America Sings was an attraction much like Country Bear Jamboree or Carousel of Progress. It was housed in the carousel theater after Carousel of Progress was taken out. It was basically the same as country bear jamboree, they were singing animal audio animatronics.
    Not to be picky or rude, but to say that America Sings was basically the same as Country Bear Jamboree is a little off. Yes, they were both AA shows, but the shows were completely different.

America Sings was a show that replaced Carousel Of Progress in Disneyland's Tomorrowland around 1974 (or so). It was sort of a tie-in with America's Bicentennial Celebration in 1976, although I don't think this was ever really "official". Still, it had patriotic splashed all over it (pun intended!). America Sings was a journey through American music history with scenes featuring the South, the wild West, the turn of the 20th century, and "Modern Times" which basically covered the 40's, 50's and a little of the 60's. The host of the show was Sam the Eagle (voiced by Burl Ives), a nod to our national bird.

America Sings is one of the best loved and most missed attractions in Disneyland history. The attraction designs were made by Marc Davis whose work is prominent all over Disneyland. I love the Country bear shows without doubt, but America Sings was an attraction that was unique to Disneyland --- something rare in today's cloned Disney world. Maybe someday we'll be blessed with a new attraction, "America Sings Again!"
    Avenue Q

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    I dont' know how I grew up in the 80s and 90s without seeing this turkey; maybe since my dad hates parades and musicals he cleverly avoided it when we went as a family?

Sounds cute though, a lot more interesting than INNOVENTIONS i suppose.

• Be-Bop Bear

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    I dont' know how I grew up in the 80s and 90s without seeing this turkey; maybe since my dad hates parades and musicals he cleverly avoided it when we went as a family?

Sounds cute though, a lot more interesting than INNOVENTIONS i suppose.
    America Sings closed in (I think) 1986. I'm not sure why you would label it a "turkey" if you never saw it. Of course, there was a singing turkey in the show... maybe that's what you're talking about .

But you're right in saying that it was a lot more interesting than Innoventions.
    Avenue Q

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    America Sings closed in (I think) 1986. I'm not sure why you would label it a "turkey" if you never saw it. Of course, there was a singing turkey in the show... maybe that's what you're talking about .

But you're right in saying that it was a lot more interesting than Innoventions.
    I was trying to be funny not derogatory, I know it had the geese from Splash Mtn. And I was 10 when it closed so that's why I cant remember it.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

It closed in 1988 one year before splash mountain opened.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Banned User

wasn't one of the animatronics even more complex than the AA in American Adventure that can walk up stairs.... I think it was a bird....

Anyway i would ahve figured that the characters are the same in idea.. mabey machanics changed for more reliabliity.... (but even after so many performances it cuts out.. like the jumping bre Rabit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast