Pin Trading Nights to End.

Before I paste the article from today's Orlando Sentinel, I just want to state my case here. I have nothing against people paying waaayyyy too much for a piece of metal with a sharp dagger on the back which usually is so poorly soldered (sp?) on that after a few days it will break off, but what I totally am against are the obnoxious pinhead freaks that think because I have a couple of "antique, retired, etc" pins on my hat or camera bag, that I am a willing trader. I can not tell you how many times people have asked me if I knew how valuable the pins I had were. I didn't buy them as an investment towards my kids' college fund. I bought them because they are of Pluto, and well, ya just don't find many items of Pluto without some mouse attached to it. There is only one other type of person in the parks that I despise more, parents that buy their kids, or allow their kids to use there friggin stupid heely skates while in the parks or other public areas. Guess they could not see the signs stating "NO SKATING..." but then again, "they ain't skating all the time"? I will admit right here and now, when I see heely kids, I play a little roller derby with them and get a little closer to them hoping they will crash in to me. If they do run in to me, I make sure their parents see what happened and then make sure the kid falls on the ground. BUT ONLY WHEN THE KID RUNS IN TO ME. I DO NOT SEEK OUT HEELY KIDS, BTW, WHY THE HECK ARE THEY NOT WEARING HELMETS, oh yeah, because they are not skating al the time.

Hope you have a bonederful day or night,
    Mark

Now, here is the article as it appears right now at orlandosentinel.com

Pin-trading events to end at Disney resort hotels

No reason was given, but Disney said the parks would still have pin events.

Scott Powers
    Sentinel Staff Writer

July 25, 2006

Disney pin-trading nights are coming to an end at Walt Disney World hotels, and some collectors wonder if it's because of declining interest.

The Walt Disney Co. announced on its official pin-collecting Web site this month that weekly pin-trading sessions, staple activities in several Walt Disney World resort hotels for years, will end in the next couple of weeks.

The Web site, officialdisneypintrading.com, did not say why the sessions are ending. Nor did a Walt Disney World spokeswoman, except to say that the company is making room for future pin-trading opportunities, associated with the company's upcoming "Year of a Million Dreams" campaign that opens in October.

"It's part of the ongoing efforts to continually refresh the experiences," spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

Disney lapel pins depict thousands of iconic Disney moments ranging from Snow White kissing Grumpy to Cars characters. Most retail for $6.95 to $12.95. In 2000, pin-trading popularity took off. And not long after that, pin-trading sessions began at the hotels.

But attendance at the hotel sessions has fallen recently, collectors said. Some wondered if Disney might have saturated the collectible pin market and deflated the craze, while others suggested that professional pin traders, known as "pin sharks," began to dominate small meetings and took the fun out of them.

"It definitely has slowed down," said Arlen Miller, president of the World Chapter of the National Fantasy Fan Club of Disneyana enthusiasts.

No one's expecting Disney pin trading to stop.

Disney still plans other pin-trading events, including the big, annual Pin Celebration 2006 at Epcot, Sept. 8-10, which requires a $90-per-person cover charge. Disney also still encourages trading throughout the parks, and at occasional Downtown Disney sessions. And Prunty insisted interest still is "strong and continues to grow."

Collections dealer Tom Tumbusch of Dayton, Ohio, publishes the Disneyana Guide to Pin Trading, which lists and prices more than 17,000 pins. Tumbusch, who also handles collectibles ranging from Broadway posters to Hot Wheels cars, said he's seen thinning crowds at recent hotel sessions and suggested it could be because there now are so many Disney pins that people may be losing interest.

"Disney has over-produced watches, and the collectors went away. . . . The saturation level, of just too many, is reached in every collectible area," Tumbusch said. "It becomes overwhelming. And people say, 'To heck with this,' when they try to sell stuff and they can't get their money back."

The Web site announced that the last official Walt Disney World hotel pin sessions will be at the All-Star Sports Resort from 7 to 10 p.m. Thursday; the Contemporary Resort from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday; and the Pop Century Resort from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 5.

Scott Powers can be reached at [email protected] or 407-420-5441.

Re: Pin Trading Nights to End.

Praise the lord!

I guess 6-7 years of oversaturating the market and gouging the consumer has finally struck reality with Disney merchandising honchos.

Now, we just need to end the tacky display that is pintrading!

• Banned User

Re: Pin Trading Nights to End.

I love the pins but have to admit I have seen fewer traders and more sellers as time goes on. actually there are two levels of pin trading going on. the casual lanyard traider and the heavy duty collector. I have gone to a couple of the sessions and all anyone wanted to trade for were the LE pins and that takes the fun out of it. also i think most people at this point simply buy the pins they want because of the " pros" so disney makes money.