Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Stupid Hotel Questions from A Silly Little Man

Hi all

I'm planning a WDW trip for the far, far future, but things being as they are necessitates budgeting starts NOW!!! (It's also fun to plan).

My major concern is going to be the cost of the hotel when we get there.

I'm liking the look of the Contemporary Hotel, as it is attached to the Monorail system and I believe the cheapest option on the Monorail line.

However, the Port Orleans appeals to me as well (mainly due to price/asthetic appeal)

Given that:
    a) neither my partner nor I drive, nor will be driving in the US;
    b) we'll be staying at WDW for about 6-7 nights;
    c) we'll be wanting to go to the 4 main parks;
    d) we'll be staying in several other cities and quite possibly broke on our return...

1) Is the Contemporary worth the extra cost?
    2) Is the non-Monorail system worth relying on?
    3) is numbering my questions starting to get annoying?
    4) Any other suggestions?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Feel free to beat about with a pointed stick if I'm treading on pre-trodden ground. I bow to the wisdom of The Board.

Bless the lot of you.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Re: Stupid Hotel Questions from A Silly Little Man

The non-monorail system is actually pretty good. I usually drive when I go, but when I haven't, it's been pretty reliable. On my last trip in August last year, we stayed at Pop Century and we left the Magic Kingdom right after the fireworks and there was a huge line for the buses, and we waited about 20 minutes to get on a bus. The driver got lost on the way back to the hotel, so it took a little longer to get back, but really, it wasn't too bad. What time of year are you going? If it's off-season, then it's even better.

Regarding the value of the Contemporary, there's a few questions you should think about. Have you been to Disney World before? Are you likely to return at all or for a while? If it's your first time and you aren't going to be back, at least for a while, it might be worth the money. The big advantages to the Contemporary IMHO are that not only are you on the monorail line, but you can walk to the Magic Kingdom as well. The rooms are larger than Port Orleans. If you are going to EPCOT, then you can take the monorail to the TTC and then transfer to the other monorail line. But you would take buses to the other two theme parks and the water parks, Downtown Disney, etc.

The other thing to take into account is which park will you be most interested in spending time at? If it's the Magic Kingdom, then the Contemporary will be a good bet. If it's EPCOT, then I'd take a look at the Yacht & Beach Club and Boardwalk. I personally love Port Orleans, my favorite is the French Quarter because it's half the size of the other moderate resorts, has a great pool, and is the first stop on the bus line. I've stayed at Riverside also and that is very nice. The food I had at both food courts was very good.

You should also consider the Wilderness Lodge. It's usually the least expensive (along with Animal Kingdom Lodge) of the Deluxe hotels and is beautiful.

Hope this helps.

• Minion FOREVER!

Hi, Loomis!

Nice to "meet" you here. I'm not an WDW expert by any means, but we've
    been there four times. (Last time, last year).

Depends on what's your primary target park. The biggest plus is that in
    addition to the monorail, you can walk to MK. Personally, I like the Wilderness
    Lodge better; I like the morning boat ride from there to MK.

We've stayed at bunch of places and overall the answer is yes. But some
    places are a bit harder to reach from some (i.e. longer wait). I like the centrally
    located ones for that. But on the other hand, my kids are still MK-centric so
    it makes sense for us to stay near to it.

Nope.

Take it really easy. FL is often hot & humid and WDW is HUGE!
    We also really enjoy the places to eat in World Showcase, but you
    need to set up PS quickly.

Also make sure to get to DisneyQuest as rumors abound that its closing.

Hope that you have a great time!

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

The only place we stayed at was the Pop Century, so I can't offer help on your actual questions. But, I can highly recommend staying there. It's cheaper than most other resorts and they don't share a bus system. We never waited very long for a bus, even at MK after the fireworks when everyone was trying to get back to the resort. That was the longest wait and I wouldn't say it was longer than 20 minutes.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Disney Memory Maker

1) As with any hotel, think about what you are going to be doing at WDW. If you plan on spending most of your time at the theme parks & very little time in the hotel, go to a cheaper hotel. If you plan on spending more time in your hotel, go for one you really like, even if its a bit more expensive.
    2) The bus and boat systems work very well. The only thing that stinks is if you just miss it, you must wait 15-20 minutes for the next one.
    3) Yes....but I do the same thing.
    4) Have you considered the boardwalk? The resort itself is very nice, and along with the Yacht & Beach, it is the most convenient imo. You are a quick boatride/5 min walk to Epcot and a boatride/17 min walk to DMGM. And the nice part is that at the MK, if you just missed the Boardwalk/Swan & Dolphin bus, just hop on the Yacht & Beach Club bus and walk to the Boardwalk.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

In the planning stages at the moment, but as I said, weighing up budget options and so forth. It's nice to have a target to save for. :P

To answer some of YOUR questions, yes it will be my first time in the WDW Resort, but I will have been to Disneyland thirce by that stage and HKDL once, so maybe the MK is where I will be spending the least amount of time anyway. However, as some of you have suggested, it is unlikely that I will return to Florida for quite some time after that, so I'm trying to determine what will provide the easiest non-driving access to all these places.

I hadn't actually considered the Wilderness Lodge, simply because I thought it would be more expensive. I do love the look of it though. Maybe I will splash out on it, as opposed to a Moderare or Value lodging. Quick question: with the Wilderness Lodge, how accessible is that to the Monorail system/ease of access to the other 3 parks?

Cheers in advance.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Wilderness Lodge isn't on the monorail. You take a boat over to the MK (not sure if bus is an option), and you take buses everywhere else. I love the hotel and even though I've never stayed there, I make it a point to visit every time (not to mention the Whispering Canyon is one of the least expensive all you can eat breakfast options at WDW).

I'd price out Wilderness Lodge, the Beach Club and Boardwalk Inn. I think you'll find Wilderness Lodge to be less expensive than the Contemporary.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    I say yes...depending on the cost. WDW Hotels go so high that none are worth it.
    Though most of the time it would be okay...plus with the new refurb the rooms are supposed to be A+++++.

Yes.

No.

I'm sure I'll think of some.]

The WL is my personal fave resort at WDW and right now is about 95% finished a thorough refurbishment, which has included new beds, large flat screen TVs and updated decor ... they did a very nice job with it. It also has an out of the way feel because it's located on Bay Lake with natural wetlands all around. The rooms are a bit smallish, though. But plenty big enough for two. Transport is quick and easy ... they recently added bus transport to the MK in addition to boat transport, which I always take just because I like the cruise over.

The Contemporary and Poly would be my second/third choices as the rooms have all been rehabed (except the North wing of the Contemp, which will sadly be turned into DVC units in the near future) from top-to-bottom and are very high end (at least at the Contemp).

I love the AKL as well and have never had a transport problem but it is out of the way a bit, and the rooms are five years old now and haven't had any rehab.

I'd also stay away from any of the Epcot resorts due to constant upkeep/Mousekeeping issues at those resorts.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I'm going to mention the AKL to you, which is not my first choice in hotels personally but I see in your title that you're a veggie, and Boma is supposed to be a particularly excellent restaurant for vegetarians. The AKL is about equal to Wilderness Lodge on Disney's list of hotels, although there seems to be some sort of intangible about the WL that makes people enjoy it. Some (all?) rooms at WL have had a refurb, but I think the AK Lodge should not be dismissed out-of-hand.

Would you like to eat at your hotel now and again? If not, then either the Contemporary (which isn't really up your alley except for the hoity-toity California Grill) or the Port Orleans (French Quarter doesn't even have a sit-down restaurant!) will do ya. However you could probably find more than just the Obligatory Vegetarian's Meal at this hotel making it worth a few visits.

You certainly have nothing to worry about in regards to the bus service, by the by. AKLodge is kind of out there on it's own but the Monorail hotels and the WL all share one mega bus line which is probably the second most inconvenient on property, next to the All-Stars. The only time I ever felt close to stuck and lost at WDW was one night after hours waiting at the Grand Floridian for a Downtown Disney bus. It did eventually come, though.

Location-wise, AKL is near the more unique Disney World parks and attractions. The WL and Contemporary are up near the Magic Kingdom, which is nice to look at a few times, but since you've DL California and Hong Kong already, I don't know how much you'd care to be there except to make the obligatory visit confirming that it's there. I don't know the lay of the land well enough to tell, but there seems to be a lot of seperation between the MK park and the rest of the WDW sights. You'd probably be better served closer to a park like DAK or Epcot.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I'd also stay away from any of the Epcot resorts due to constant upkeep/Mousekeeping issues at those resorts.
    Awww, I hate to hear it. I always thought the Boardwalk had an interesting look both outside and in it's room decor.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 07-26-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Wl is a favorite of mine, and I think, considering your question about transportation, that the boats (and linking to buses or monorails) are fairly easy to use in order to get to and from the parks. But if you are not going to be at the hotel that much...maybe you should get a cheaper room (Port Orleans is great.) AKL is awesome...but it takes a bit more time to travel to MK and some other locations.

• Minion FOREVER!

Yes. WL does have bus service, but no monorail. But it's pretty quick to MK by
    boat. But the bus service from WL is excellent (less crowded) BTW overall
    the bus service is good.

Also remember that from MK you can take the monorail to Epcot which is
    a fun ride and usually faster than the bus (at least the times that I've
    taken it). There's also a boat from MGM to Epcot, too but it's slow and
    makes a bunch of stops at hotels on the way, BUT it takes you directly
    to World Showcase!

I love the monorail ride from the TTC to EPCOT, especially when it winds around through Future World. One of my all time favorite things to do at Disney World.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The AKL is about equal to Wilderness Lodge on Disney's list of hotels, although there seems to be some sort of intangible about the WL that makes people enjoy it. .
    It feels out of the way...but it really is not (which I find the AKL to be). I think the Northwest feel gets across to people more than the African feel. It is forigne...but not too much so.
    Plus you can actually walk outside of WL...at AKL everything outside is for the animals (practically).

And not being an animal fan myself I find paying money for a view of animals to be a bit rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    It feels out of the way...but it really is not (which I find the AKL to be). I think the Northwest feel gets across to people more than the African feel. It is forigne...but not too much so.
    Plus you can actually walk outside of WL...at AKL everything outside is for the animals (practically).

And not being an animal fan myself I find paying money for a view of animals to be a bit rediculous.
    I like the lobby of it and the nice area in front of the fireplace. I always like going down to see the geyser. And the stream that starts in the lobby then winds down the hillside, emptying out into the pool. It's a great design.

I like AKL too, haven't stayed there either yet, but if I want to see animals, I'd just go to Animal Kingdom. I haven't done Boma for dinner yet, but I love their breakfast there, especially the frunch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast