Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Extra Magic Hour

Okay, I wanted to get everyone's take on this because I seem to only have bad experiences with the EMH.

I have tried on 4 different occasions to utilize the evening EMH for MK and every single one of those times the park was just as crowded as if no one left the park when it closed.

The wait times for the rides were 30-50 minutes. Maybe it was just when I went but so far and I am open for this to change, I haven't seen the benefit of the EMH.

Anyone else have this problem?

Re: Extra Magic Hour

I've only tried the EMH once, and that was at Disney-MGM Studios. Like you, I found it to be as crowded, or more so, than normal. We rode Rock N Roller Coaster with a fastpass, Sounds Dangerous and left. I prefer the hour early, but was wondering myself if that was an isolated experience.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yes. It is nothing like the old E-Ride nights.

I went to AK's EMH recently...the park got more crowded after it "closed" than it was when it was open. Everest's wait time doubled.

I think some of it right now is due to the summer crowds, the EMH's are not always this bad...but recently they sure have not been "magic". At MK, 1:30 am...half hour to EMH ending, nothing was under a 30 minute wait. I usually equate the staying up till 1:30 am in a theme park to no lines.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm kind of glad to hear this....the extra magic hours were the one huge thing I was looking forward to on our upcoming vacation....but, when we changed our plans and decided not to stay at the Disney hotels....my heart broke cause we'd miss it.

I have found...last year, we went to the Christmas party and walked right onto every ride. It was great. We rode Splash Mt and Big Thunder Mt. one right after the other. SO much fun!!!

The only time I've tried to do Evening EMH was at Epcot in May, and it wasn't too bad later on in the evening. I've never (yet) tried evening at the MK - I much prefer to do the morning ones!

• Know More Than You Should

Well the concept behind Extra Magic Hours is two-fold: That A) Only Hotel Guests can ride the attractions, and B) Only certain attractions are open.

The problem, and the main thing that differentiates this from the E-Ticket nights of old, is that there is not neccesarily a limit on the number of people who can take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. And since the vast majority of people who visit the parks (increasingly so, and especially during the summer) are hotel guests, the only thing that limits the attendance is how many people know about it.

Furthermore, since less attractions are open (and, of course, the more popular ones at that) and people are there mostly to ride the rides, it often doesn't help and in fact makes the crowding worse.

Last year, we did the Epcot Extra Magic Hours. We started at Test Track. It was about a 30 minute wait I'd say, but I believe they were having some sort of techincal issue with the ride.

Then we went to The Land. Living with the Land was about a 30 minute wait. By that time it was 11:30, and Soarin' (brand new at the time) had a 60 minute wait.

So we went to World Showcase. Maelstrom was a walk on in the purest sense of the word: the attraction attendants were just standing there sending out empty boats.

Then to Mexico, which was similarly empty. There was a grand total of one other couple riding with us. Then we went back to the hotel.

I'm going to be at Disney World for four days starting Sunday, and we plan to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours at MK, Epcot, and Disney MGM. I'll let you know how it goes with my trip report when I get back.

EMH's in the evenings is BY FAR the best thing Disney has added as a perk for its resort guests in years.

Still, not as good as the old days when the parks were open late EVERY night for EVERY guest. But still worlds better than the E-Ride Night rip-offs and 9 and 10 p.m. summer closings at the MK.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Actually, I thought I was alone in my angst over this activity. I mean, it's still crowded and the queues maintained their wait time.

Worse, it's 2 am and there are families with infants sound asleep and 3 year olds wiped out of energy and their parents keep ticking away. No, I'm not kidbashing or trying o flame anyone--but it seems the whole concept behind EMH was lost on most people. Fun wasn't abounding.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Self Congratulative

I don't know what you guys are talking about. At EMH for me there is almost nobody there.

That's when I marathon Splash Mountain.

• 1000th Happy Haunt

Worse, it's 2 am and there are families with infants sound asleep and 3 year olds wiped out of energy and their parents keep ticking away.
    Here I thought that the evening EMH would mean that less children would be in the park. Kind of a bummer. I was looking forward to a MK EMH without the wife and kid, just so I could ride things multiple times without wearing them out. Just as crowded, huh? Too bad.

I'd never keep my kid out that late. It's downright unhealthy for them.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by geekzapoppin
    I'd never keep my kid out that late. It's downright unhealthy for them.
    I agree, I think its sad that people put fun in front of the welfare of their kids. Some people just don't think.

• I was deleted.

Sometimes during EHM there is no one there and sometimes there can be longer waits for attractions. This is what I experienced from working and visiting parks myself. It really depends on the time of year (since more things are running during busier times), which park and AM v. PM.

Studios is great in the AM, but by mid-day that day will be one of the most busy all week for the park. PM usually is the same because guests hop over for F! on through, especially if there is a second F! show or one just for EMH.

MK is usually busy all the time, so it's hard to say. DAK is probably more busy now because of E:E so anything I have to say it kinda pointless now (except when they were late on opening the parking lot one day in '03). Epcot I have had the best experiences with EMH.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I've only participated once in this, but it was such an awesome morning for us. We got there at about 8:10, a little into the EMH that morning. We went straight to Fantasyland (had the 3 girls with us) and rode everything over there. I mean, everything! The longest wait was for Dumbo that morning and that was only about 15 minutes. We literally walked on almost everything in Fantasyland, except Small World because it was closed. We then hit Tomorrowland and rode Space Mountain twice, the CoP and Buzz. Then went over to Toontown, met Mickey and Pluto. Rode Goofy's Barnstormer and played at Donald's ship. At this time, we started getting hungry so we caught the train back to the main gate and went back to the hotel for lunch, a swim and naps. We got back on the shuttle to the hotel before noon. So, we'd whipped through a great portion of MK in just a few hours. After naps, we had dinner at the hotel and went back to the park, hit the train and got off near Splash. Rode that and Big Thunder twice, then off to Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. We did everything at MK that first day of our trip, thanks to using that extra hour, and also got in a good 5 hour break. Of course, this was two days after that last hurricane had hit that one year when 3 went through Florida one right after the other - so the parks weren't all that crowded, anyway. The most crowded it got the entire trip was Sunday night at MNSSHP. But... I'm off the EMH subject now. LOL!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

There's a reason that the morning EMH works better than the evening - people on vacation don't like to get up early! If you can drag yourself out of bed you'll enjoy at least 45 minutes or so of non-stop riding with very few queues. But in the evening you have people from all over the property converging on that day's park, and by the start of EMH you have a mob. I've been told that if you can last into the late hours, the final 90 minutes or so can be pretty cool. But usually that's way past my old-guy bedtime . . .

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo
    I have found...last year, we went to the Christmas party and walked right onto every ride. It was great. We rode Splash Mt and Big Thunder Mt. one right after the other. SO much fun!!!
    You just can't compare EMH to MVMCP. No contest on crowds...let alone parade fireworks and Jack Wagner announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    EMH's in the evenings is BY FAR the best thing Disney has added as a perk for its resort guests in years.

Still, not as good as the old days when the parks were open late EVERY night for EVERY guest. But still worlds better than the E-Ride Night rip-offs and 9 and 10 p.m. summer closings at the MK.
    Well see as someone who expirience E-Ride Nights when we walked sections of the park alone and didn't even have to exit Splash Mountain and who has yet to see that same thing on EMH I disagree. E-Rides were great for the $12.

But I do agree seeing MK back to 11pm and 12pm closings each night is great. I just wish MGM would go back to being open past 10pm ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    so it's hard to say. DAK is probably more busy now because of E:E so anything .
    I've found with Everest open people hit AK after 7pm thinking they can ride Everest with no lines...and of course the lines get longer. EMH at AK before Everest was great though!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast