Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Cinderella Castle Refurbishment

come on.. its just a marketing campaign.. a theme

What does the 'I'm lovin in' campaign add to McDonald's? Nothing.. its a slogan.. as part of a campaign to tie together their marketing efforts.

Disney will go through and have their marketing efforts for the next 12-18 months and this will be a central tie in.

Marketing isn't always about hard substance.. more the illusion of it

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    It's pretty hard to argue it like that, 74, when the 50th marketing sure brought a lot of rubes to DL.
    They are very different.

The DL 50th featured new attractions, reworked attractions, a new parade, and an incredible new fireworks show. (and that's leaving out the fact they made the park look pristine again as well)

There was a good amount of substance to the Happiest Homecoming on Earth. There isn't with the Year of a Million Free Fastpasses.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus
    What you are seeing is Disney marketing feeling like to have to have 'something' every year (which is not new.. they've been doing this for awhile) so they have these campaigns..
    Well this is me saying I don't want a new event each year. This "needing an event to market" is BS. I can remember 97-98-99 they had great commercials about excited kids and parents and such just about WDW. No event or special needed. Why can't they do that again? Because they feel they can't do something if they can't market it, and if they can't market it as "limited time" they cant market it.

What does the 'I'm lovin in' campaign add to McDonald's? Nothing.. its a slogan.. as part of a campaign to tie together their marketing efforts.
    Well they Disney needs a new slogan for general commercials. This is a Year Celebration, not a slogan like "I'm going to WDW!" after a sports game.

• Banned User

The Year of a Million Dreams to me sounds like just an extension to the 50th celebrations, and, for me, that's not a good thing.

End the campaigns and just let the Disneyland parks be...parks.

But that won't happen when there is money to make!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Well this is me saying I don't want a new event each year. This "needing an event to market" is BS. I can remember 97-98-99 they had great commercials about excited kids and parents and such just about WDW. No event or special needed. Why can't they do that again? Because they feel they can't do something if they can't market it, and if they can't market it as "limited time" they cant market it.
    Part of the problem is.. its a run-away train.. once you start increasing the # of 'events'.. it becomes harder to not have them. Then they got to having them basically every year. Then people EXPECT to have something to talk about.. you have to avoid the 'crash' after the sugar high. Unfortunatly it becomes something so large its very hard to stop without crashing hard. Trust me.. this entire conversation could be flipped and if they ended the 50th.. and said 'ok, we're done' and did NOTHING else.. there'd be hordes of people saying 'well at least do SOMETHING'. Because people expect to have something talk about. The point is to create a buzz.. or something to talk about. Why do they phase in rides and attractions rather then massive buildups? To maintain a stream of things to make noise about.

Well they Disney needs a new slogan for general commercials. This is a Year Celebration, not a slogan like "I'm going to WDW!" after a sports game.
    The idea is to have a central theme.. or tie-in. Sometimes there is a 'slogan' sometimes there isn't.. depends more on your media you focus on. Think of the chic-f-la cow campaign.. 'eat mor chikn'. An example of theme with tagline. Intel inside.. one without a slogan, but with a musical signature and icon.

One interesting thing about Disney.. is you realize how LITTLE they actually advertise (especially on TV). They have the established pull.. kinda like you never see car commercials for the 911, vette (except when they introduce a new generation), ferraris, etc.

The thing is.. disney created this beast.. it all started with the birthday celebrations of the parks.. then they added characters.. and then they started cross-promoting across the parks.. then you build up so many.. you build in the expectation there will be something. To not now.. and people would cry the other way. Its a vicious cycle that will be ugly to break now.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The DL 50th featured new attractions, reworked attractions, a new parade, and an incredible new fireworks show. (and that's leaving out the fact they made the park look pristine again as well)
    They talked very little about new attractions in the advertising, at least for DL. In fact, I think they just said "new attractions."

"making the park look pristine again" is something they never advertised either, and only spread through word of mouth. And you can't tell me that the park did blockbuster business because Disnerds on their message boards were wow'ing over the new paint job.

That leaves a parade and fireworks, and I'm not sure how big a draw those were, but they've changed up those entertainment offerings for other promotions and it didn't do the same. No, I think it's just the sentimental value of a good marketing campaign.

Regardless, the good news is that maybe this is the shock to the system needed to choke the FastPass system once and for all (particularly at DL)? Nah, they'll just keep looking the other way.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Part of the problem is.. its a run-away train.. once you start increasing the # of 'events'.. it becomes harder to not have them.
    Yeah, it is, you are right on the money with that one.

you have to avoid the 'crash' after the sugar high. Unfortunatly it becomes something so large its very hard to stop without crashing hard.
    Yes, just ask TDL. Again, you are right.

• Banned User

I'll say it again...Jay Rasulo is a dumb idiot who needs to be thrown out the Park and Resort doors. If this campaign fails to do anything, I hope Iger gets rid of the guy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123