Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Trip Report! 07-29 to 07-30 (Detailed with photos!)

Last weekend I took my daughter to WDW for her birthday. I was all excited to go because I got a room in All Star Movies which I have always wanted to stay there but haven't.

I took 170 photos on this trip. I have only included the highlights here, but you can view them all HERE.

Day 1

Woke up early Saturday morning, loaded up the car and headed down I-4, the construction in Lakeland is gone (thank goodness) and it was a smooth ride all the way there. Arrived at ASM and checked in, because it was so early they gave us a card with a phone number to call after 3pm and it was off to Epcot!

We arrived there and went to Guest Relations to pick up my Disney Dining Experience card (20% discount for FL for one year and its only 75 bucks, sooo worth it) and we headed in!

We had about an hour to kill before our character Lunch at Akershus with the Princesses (Anna's request) so we headed over to Test Track. Since the wait time was 70 minutes and our lunch reservation was before then, we grabbed a fast pass and started walking towards World Showcase.

Snapped some photos along the way, I really like the one I got of the monorail over water.

Anna insisted on me taking photos of the ducks that were sleeping on the rocks and I took some zoomed photos of the countries across the lake.

Since our reservation was for 11:25am and it was around 11:00 I figured we should go on Maelstrom and should be out in time for lunch!

I like the Norway ride, its kind of dark in places but the trolls are neat and the oil rig scene is nicely done. I don't like the movie after the ride, its really creepy and terribly outdated and I think a new one would compliment the ride very well.

After the movie we visited the resident troll in the store and then walked over for our lunch reservation. We waited a total of 2 minutes and when we walked in they had a line for the first character of the day, Ariel. Now Ariel is my daughters 2nd favorite princess (I know, don't ask. LOL) The funny part about this meeting was while Anna was talking to Ariel my cell phone went off and for those of you that don't know, I have Under the Sea as my ringer. So at that point, Ariel smiled and started dancing with my daughter and I ignored the phone call. It was a great moment for her as well as me.

After we sat down we were told that we could start out at the appetizer buffet. It was really nice and different from the last time we were there. So Anna and I got some salad and I grabbed some bread (LOVE BREAD) and sat and waited. She ordered some form of spaghetti and I got grilled chicken with corn and potatoes. It was okay but my food was kind of bland on seasoning.

It was about that time I went to take out the camera and I realized that it was dead. Ugh, no time to walk to the car to get the stash I have in there so I had to buy the lithium in the gift shop for 15 bucks!! Oh well, at least it will last awhile.

So after I got back to the table guess who comes out the door....Cinderella? I thought she was only available at Cindy's Royal Table? Well, that was a nice surprise. Next, Jasmine came out and I always feel bad for the CM that has to wear that outfit, you really have to be comfortable with your body. LOL She was a very good Jasmine though and I could tell she probably was either trained or watched the movie many times to make her voice sound almost like Jasmine, very impressed.

Next was Aurora, who was very friendly and interactive, you never know with face characters, some of them are wonderful and some of them look like they can't wait to get through their day.

So while Anna was visiting with Aurora I noticed the handler standing there (I'm not sure if that's what they are called, the people in the character shirts with ear pieces) So I called him over and asked him, "Do you think Belle will be making an appearance." To which he replied, "We hope so, I hope so!" I said, "Okay, I will keep my fingers crossed then." He goes, "Yeah me to." LOL So I don't know if she was late or what but he looked a little worried. However, we didn't have to wait long as a moment later a very rushed looking Belle popped out of the door and Anna started her girly squeal of happiness. Other parents with girls know this noise. Now Belle is Anna's FAVORITE princess, so when she walked up thank goodness she was a great Belle and it was a very memorable moment.

So about that time we were brought our dessert which included a flavored cheesecake, some rolled chocolate mousse and this rice pudding of sorts with a strawberry topping. Now that rice pudding was OMG, I ate all of that. LOL The chocolate mousse was ok, but I don't like chocolate anyway, not to mention I am mildly allergic to it so I didn't eat much of that. The cheesecake was really good and Anna and I shared it.

After that we headed back over to Test Track to use our fast passes from earlier, only to discover that it was closed due to technical difficulties. Oh well, another FP souvenir! As I wanted to get a photo with Figment, we headed over to Journey Into Imaginations and rode that. Made me miss the original but we enjoyed it none the less. After exiting the ride and grabbing a quick photo of the stairwell to the old Kodak area upstairs, we played with the jumping water fountains outside. Then we headed over to see Figment, I tried to get his signature because it was one I was missing but alas, he only gives stickers. *grumbles* No problem, we got some pics. What was great was there was no line for Figment and his meet and greet area is sort of a fun house of mirrors. So Figment and Anna played in the mirrors until someone else showed up. He said Happy Birthday in his own "counting fingers" way and we left to head towards the front of the park. Made a quick stop and rode SSE, I don't know why I like this ride so much, it is just a must ride for me every time we go. It did break down in the middle though so I took some photos while we just sat there. Anna said she liked it, especially the burning wood smell in the Greece scene.

Stopped at the car to put some things away and grab my purse that I was exchanging. (Bought a leather Tinkerbell purse and the strap ripped right off within 3 days) After that we headed to the monorail for the trip up to Magic Kingdom! Anna asked if we could sit up front and we did, it was a nice ride that way. Had a nice conversation with the driver about crazy local people and AP holders. LOL

To be continued...
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 08-04-2006 at 11:26 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Trip Report! 07-29 to 07-30 (Detailed with photos!)

I too was at the Princess meal in Norway, but I was there for the breakfast. I was there alone, but I enjoyed the way that the princesses interact with the guests. Especially the way that they show such care in dealing with the little girls all decked out in their princess attire.

I also rode the Norway ride for the first time. However, I rode it after my meal. I was there on Sunday.

So happy that the weather was better than originally forecast. I didn't get caught in any rain, where I had to pull out my poncho.

Looking forward to reading your report, and seeing your pictures.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

nice report, sounds like that character lunch went off wonderfully!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    So while Anna was visiting with Aurora I noticed the handler standing there (I'm not sure if that's why are called, the people in the character shirts with ear pieces)
    Oh come now, you don't think they treat the characters like cattle, do ya? That would be a Character Greeter, or just Greeter for short. Every character has a greeter to watch out for his or her well-being and answer questions or take photos. Though rules out in California are a little different, as they're not unionized out there like we are here, so the actual characters can take photos of another, and one character can look out for another. The Characters out there get a little more freedom so sometimes they can wander farther away from their Greeters. Not as much here.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84
    Oh come now, you don't think they treat the characters like cattle, do ya? That would be a Character Greeter, or just Greeter for short. Every character has a greeter to watch out for his or her well-being and answer questions or take photos. Though rules out in California are a little different, as they're not unionized out there like we are here, so the actual characters can take photos of another, and one character can look out for another. The Characters out there get a little more freedom so sometimes they can wander farther away from their Greeters. Not as much here.
    Thanks for the clarification! I believe this gentleman was in charge of all the princesses, maybe because it was a closed location?

• Banned User

Not every character has to have an individual greeter... one greeter can be responsible for a whole handful of characters. And in a closed environment such as a character dining experience, they can usually just have one or two Greeters for the entire Restaurant. In fact, it's getting pretty rare now to have more than one Greeter in a Restaurant.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84
    Not every character has to have an individual greeter... one greeter can be responsible for a whole handful of characters. And in a closed environment such as a character dining experience, they can usually just have one or two Greeters for the entire Restaurant. In fact, it's getting pretty rare now to have more than one Greeter in a Restaurant.
    Well thanks for the inside info!

Thanks for the report, an I'm looking forward to the pictures!

• most magical vaca ever

Wooo Hoooo

Can't wait to see the pics Summer
    ~~~~~~

• Wish I was in WDW..

I have never done the princess dining in Noway, but now next time I may do it!! Sounds like you had a good time. (well what you have wrote so far)

-Nikki

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for sharing great report

• most magical vaca ever

Wooo hoooo

You mean Anna went

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sounds like a great time

More!!! More!!! More!!!!

~~~~~~

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Great trip report!!! Love the pictutres, your daughter is adorable!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Continued Day 1

So when we arrived at the TTC Anna decided she wanted to take the ferryboat to MK.

Once we got inside the park and headed down Main Street we stopped off at VMK Central to drop off our inpark quests and pick up some news ones.

Then it was off to Adventureland! I had wanted to see the new Pirates attraction and I was not disappointed! I think that the Jack Sparrow character is a very subtle addition and compliments the ride well. I really liked seeing the bird hat from VMK on the skeleton in the ride. I would have taken a picture but I respect other people and I don't use flash if I do take photos and it would have never came out. LOL

The line was backed up all the way outside with both sides open, the CM was friendly and kept us entertained though.

After going on Pirates we headed over to Frontierland to get fast passes for Splash Mountain and we decided to grab a bite to eat. While we were sitting there I happen to look over and see this...

That's right people, one of the workers hiding behind a wall, chatting it up on her cell phone. I didn't tell anyone about it but I imagine its against the rules of working there. You wouldn't see something like this happening even 10 years ago, all I could do was inwardly groan.

Well after catching a bite to eat I went to throw away our food and sitting on top of the garbage can is this stack and I mean STACK of fast passes.

I stop, look around like I am getting away with something, verify that there is no one standing near the garbage can that might have just set them down and I pick the stack up.

From the looks of it, a family of four couldn't figure out how to use the FP system because mixed in with the FPs were those dreaded, "This is not a valid Fast Pass" print outs. So again, I look around to see if anyone is near that the lost FPs may belong to and I come up with nada, so I take them.
    (I know, I'm going to hell.)

There was 4 Space Mountain, 2 Winnie the Pooh and 2 Splash Mountain all with expired times. As my inner child smiles with glee I show Anna, who then starts into her fit of girly squeals and we go get in line for Big Thunder Mountain.

The wait time was only 20 minutes and the line moved constantly so I would say it was more 15 but either way about halfway through the line we hear over the intercom. "Ladies and gentleman, due to inclement weather BTM might close at any given moment should there be lightning in the sky." In my head, "Ok, SHOULD close, this is Florida, welcome to the afternoon storms." Some people inwardly groan, since I live here I understand that this to shall pass and we will probably get to enjoy a less crowded park should the storm show up. So I kept my fingers crossed.

Since it was Anna's weekend she was in charge of picking the seats on any given ride, all the CM's were very accomdating when we asked nicely to sit in either the front of the back of a ride vehicle.

Our Florida storm never made an appearance so I suggested we take the train around to Main Street, turn in our VMK quests we completed and grab the Tomorrowland one (because I forgot it) and head over there for our free FP fun.

We get to Main Street and I collect up our VMK goodies and I ask if Anna wants to get some ice cream, I can't pass up that waffle cone smell at the Ice Cream shop. So we grab our ice cream, settle into a chair and Anna takes the first lick and her ice cream falls on the ground. However, being we are in the most wonderful place on earth, they replace it and add a cherry on top just to be nice.

So we then headed over to Tomorrowland and got FP's for Buzz Lightyear which about an hour out and Anna asked if we could go on the Blue Line. Took me a minute when I realized she was talking about the people mover and of course I said yes! That is one of my must sees everytime we go, its such a relaxing ride and it used to be a neat tour of Tomorrowland, now its all just jumbled.

After getting off of that we headed over to Carousel of Progress which, and maybe it was just me, is now starting to smell like my Grandmothers old nursing home. Ick, LOVE the ride, the smell I could have left without. Either way, we had fun and sang the theme song.

Headed out to realize that our FP return time was about 20 minutes out for Buzz so we headed to Space Mountain to use our first set of fast passes. I love this ride for all the same reasons I hate it, it hasn't changed since I was a kid. It's crazy, it fun and it just makes you laugh. The only difference is this time I raised my hands up to see if I could touch the ceiling in the red tunnel, I could and it sorta freaked me out. LOL

So after Space we headed over to Buzz, which broke down twice while we were on it but hey, at least we got high scores and after that we headed to Fantasyland.

Used our fast passes for Winnie the Pooh, I think this ride is cute and the raindrops scene is adorable. My daughter liked it but she was ready for something a little older.

So we headed over to the Haunted Mansion and the wait time was 5 minutes (it was the first parade of the evening) and after we got out, I noticed that it was about an hour until the fireworks started. So I asked Anna if she wanted to head over to Main Street so we could get a spot.

After the parade there wasn't much room left but there was a spot at the bench with Roy, so Anna took a seat on Roy's lap and we watched the fireworks. I snapped some photos, I suck at taking nighttime pictures but some of them turned out ok.

A few things about our hotel. We got back to the room around 11:40pm and as we were walking to the room, which was supposed to be preferred they had this HUGE 3 story tarp surrounding Woody with construction walls directing people around it. So we had to go the long way every time we wanted to go to the food court.

We get in the room and get under the covers to go to sleep and we both start sweating, its extremely hot! The AC wasn't working, at least by our standards so I go over the the thermostat and its set at 72! Now, I get cold at anything under 74ish and I KNEW the room wasn't at 72. So I crank that puppy down to 69 and I gave it 30 minutes. No change, so I call the front desk and they said they will send maintenance over to inspect it. Around 12:40am she shows up and I tell her that at home we usually keep it around 76ish to which her reply was, "No, that's way to cold." Here I am tired, sore, cranky from walking around the parks and your arguing with me at 12am? Okay, I have no more paitence. I tell her in my sweetest voice possible, "Well, even so I have the thermostat set at 69 and we should be freezing in here and its still to hot to sleep." She goes, "Well, it doesn't matter what you set the thermostat at because there is only one AC for all 3 floors and its shared between all the rooms."

So she then sticks the temp gauge in the vent and goes, "Oh yes, I see a reading now that its coming out at 65 degrees."

*blinks* Can she not feel this room?

So I said, "Fine, I guess I will deal with it for one night."

To be perfectly honest I got no sleep, I couldn't sleep with a blanket and we left halfway through our day Sunday because we got NO rest! I am debating on whether I should write a letter or something but I really don't know what that will do. What do you think?

Tomorrow! MGM Studios and My WWTBAM Tribute
    Last edited by SummerInFL; 08-04-2006 at 11:34 AM.

• Diamond In The Rough

Thanks for the pics.
    Great report - keep 'em coming!

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast