Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Chef Mickey's

  1. #31

    •   
    • Chicago Gal
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    54,902
    Blog Entries
    120

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Well since I do Early Mornings, I don't have a problem knowing where I will be on my vacations. I like getting up early, and going to the park that is opening up early on the different days of my vacation. I then look over the restaurants that I have wanted to try. I fit those to where I am, and I have been quite successful in trying new places on each trip. There are always days that I don't go to a park, or don't go early, and it is then that I can fit in other special meals or actvities.

    But then I am a compulsive planner.

  2. #32

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Part of the fun for me is the spontaneity of it all. I love deciding to eat somewhere new once we get there. So, the Dining Plan severely hinders that now.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  3. #33

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    8

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Hi. Im new in the chat, Im planning to go to Chefs Mickey for second time, breakfast early 7:45am, Im planning after breakfast be at the gate when the park opens, but one question, last time I drove until Contemporary Hotel and then went back to parking and get the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom, Is it possible to park around 7:20 on the normal parking and take the monorail to Contemporary and then after breakfast to Magic Kingdom, Im not staying on property. thks.

  4. #34

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    8

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Reading previous posts here, I do not use to make reservations, just step at the door and ask for a place, I could lunch at Princess Castle, Coral Reef (with a Scuba Mickey which seems to be dificult to spot), Brown Derby, and Crystal Palace, Just be sure to arrive early, they will ask you to come back in a couple of hours, pls note that we used to travel during low seasons to USA. In July or August this seems to be imposible.

  5. #35

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,665

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by mgarciah View Post
    Hi. Im new in the chat, Im planning to go to Chefs Mickey for second time, breakfast early 7:45am, Im planning after breakfast be at the gate when the park opens, but one question, last time I drove until Contemporary Hotel and then went back to parking and get the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom, Is it possible to park around 7:20 on the normal parking and take the monorail to Contemporary and then after breakfast to Magic Kingdom, Im not staying on property. thks.
    You aren't supposed to. They give you a 3hr (?) pass when you goto a resort for food. Tho I don't think they check it at all when you leave. Basically you get a temp pass to visit the resort, you are not supposed to leave your car there and goto the parks.

  6. #36

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by mgarciah View Post
    Reading previous posts here, I do not use to make reservations, just step at the door and ask for a place...
    This is getting increasingly hard to do, with the success of the Disney Dining Plan prompting more and more fast food folks to dine in the nicer locations. Even during quiet times of the year you'll find some of your favorites totally booked up for lunch and dinner. It's strongly suggested that you make dining reservations as soon as possible, up to 180 days out. I don't like it much, but that's the reality of Disney dining these days.

  7. #37

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Hang on a sec here, Disney has had some sort of dining plan for ages, in fact the old one was far better since basically you could eat anywhere on property and not track how many of each type of restarant or wishes etc. The restarants used to have longer hours and where more flexible now they all seem to have a late afternoon blackout between lunch and dinner (at least in Epcot this is true).

    The big issue is Disney has bundled free meal plans into the resort bundles so more people are probably doing table service than normal to "get thier moneys worth" out of the "free" meal plans. You can still do a walk up, you can still get last minute seating reservations at the resort if peoplpe are kind enough to cancel thier PS reservations (most do not) ad most restarants will honor your PS reservation earlier or later than scheduled.

    So plan a few months ahead (its fun for me anyways) if not be flexible and you will find someplace to eat, this is usually the queit season for the parks I wouldn't panic yet.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  8. #38

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by mgarciah View Post
    Hi. Im new in the chat, Im planning to go to Chefs Mickey for second time, breakfast early 7:45am, Im planning after breakfast be at the gate when the park opens, but one question, last time I drove until Contemporary Hotel and then went back to parking and get the monorail to go to Magic Kingdom, Is it possible to park around 7:20 on the normal parking and take the monorail to Contemporary and then after breakfast to Magic Kingdom, Im not staying on property. thks.
    Hmm, ok here's what I would do:

    Park at the TTC and then hang a left before the ticket booths and follow the path to the Poly and either take the resort Monorail or resort Boat to the Contemporary. If you follow the trail to the Great Ceremonial House a cast member can guide you to the best route (boat/monorail) to get you there quickly.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  9. #39

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    This is getting increasingly hard to do, with the success of the Disney Dining Plan prompting more and more fast food folks to dine in the nicer locations. Even during quiet times of the year you'll find some of your favorites totally booked up for lunch and dinner. It's strongly suggested that you make dining reservations as soon as possible, up to 180 days out. I don't like it much, but that's the reality of Disney dining these days.
    You know I do kinda wish they would let the fast food folks stick to that... it would take the strain off the sit down restaurants and give them more choices... It just seems such a waste to see adults going to a sit down restarant just because they have to and then order a burger or order off the kids menu because they don't like the menu...
    Last edited by Jerren; 09-10-2006 at 07:41 AM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  10. #40

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Hang on a sec here, Disney has had some sort of dining plan for ages, in fact the old one was far better since basically you could eat anywhere on property and not track how many of each type of restarant or wishes etc.....The big issue is Disney has bundled free meal plans into the resort bundles so more people are probably doing table service than normal to "get thier moneys worth" out of the "free" meal plans.
    They are also discounting vacation packages even when you have to pay for the dining plan, which they didn't do up to this last year. So more and more of us are using it than ever before (I'm using it for the first time this trip). And while I agree that it's possible to eat somewhere on property without advance reservations, it's getting harder and harder to get into the popular places. I haven't been able to get a PS for the Coral Reef for dinner for 2 years now, and that's even with calling a couple months out. I really like the place, so I'm having to settle for lunch there this time or not see it at all. It's so not like it used to be, when you could get a walkup at Le Cellier or Chefs de France just about anytime other than the dead of summer.

  11. #41

    • Disneyholic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,621

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    They are also discounting vacation packages even when you have to pay for the dining plan, which they didn't do up to this last year. So more and more of us are using it than ever before (I'm using it for the first time this trip). And while I agree that it's possible to eat somewhere on property without advance reservations, it's getting harder and harder to get into the popular places. I haven't been able to get a PS for the Coral Reef for dinner for 2 years now, and that's even with calling a couple months out. I really like the place, so I'm having to settle for lunch there this time or not see it at all. It's so not like it used to be, when you could get a walkup at Le Cellier or Chefs de France just about anytime other than the dead of summer.
    I'll take your word for it, other than our honeymoon 9 years ago we have planned out all the PS in advance. We ate at the Coral Reef a few years ago and I was not impressed, maybee its because I'm from Maryland and we have so many great seafood restarants out here but the food was so so and not worth the price. The view is nice if your on the lower tiers but we where stuck in the middle and really did not have a good view.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

  12. #42

    • Frustrated A/V Engineer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,351

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Seems to me the Coral Reef went through a dry spell a few years ago. I'm in no way a gourmet, so even at its worst it was still pretty good to me. And I always sit right down by the glass and enjoy a fine wine, so I may be a bit biased by the atmosphere. And like I said it's been a couple years for me, but all reports I've read online say that it's really a pretty fine restaurant these days. I'm hoping so!

  13. #43

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    To give an idea of how hard it is to find reservations. About 3 weeks ago, BPF and I thought that it would be nice to find a reservation for a restaurant in EPCOT for my family, as it was their last day in WDW. At about 3 PM, we called WDW Dining to see about reservations. They said everything was booked except Germany at 8:40, China at 8:30, and Morocco at 8:45. That was it. In all of EPCOT.

    As for the Coral Reef, I agree. I ate there once a few years ago and was not really impressed. Too much money for something I didn't really enjoy. Luckily, our view was from the first tier, right next to the window, so it wasn't all bad.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  14. #44

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,665

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Hmm, ok here's what I would do:
    Please don't encourage the violation of the rules that are not strictly enforced. All you do is when enough people ignore the rules simply because they are not adamently enforced is everyone gets hurt or shutdown in the future.

  15. #45

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,665

    Re: Chef Mickey's

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    You know I do kinda wish they would let the fast food folks stick to that... it would take the strain off the sit down restaurants and give them more choices... It just seems such a waste to see adults going to a sit down restarant just because they have to and then order a burger or order off the kids menu because they don't like the menu...
    They don't 'HAVE to'. Table Service (TS) credits cost more then Counter Service (CS).. yes they are eating in resturants that they may not have if they weren't on the plan.. but that's the whole benefit to them (and draw) .. to be able to eat at the parks.

    I used to go on the dining plan all the time in the 80s.. on the Magic Kingdom Club plans.. where you had the credit card where you could eat in any resturant you wanted.

    Even then you made sure you ate at as many resturants as you could.. one to experience them.. but two.. if you didn't.. you lost money on the deal! It was pretty pricey back then.

    Now.. they limit it.. but use it to entice people to stay on property.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1900 vs Chef Mickey's
    By ragrobyn in forum Orlando Restaurant Reviews
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 09:45 PM
  2. Top Chef?
    By clairebear in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
  3. Chef Mickey's
    By FantasticDuck in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 09:45 PM
  4. Price Increases Coming To Chef Mickey's
    By tjcjr in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM
  5. What The ...? DWD Chef Mickey's
    By drnilescrane in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 10:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •