Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Am I The Only One Who Thinks That The Studios Needs a New Ride???

What needs to be done at the studios:
    -Hat, fix. Enough said.
    -Great Movie Ride Update.
    -Indy Ride (Yes, there IS the room.)
    -Muppet Studios
    -Toy Story Plaza... a re-theming of the Mickey Ave. area that groups a Pizza Planet (which actually looks like the one in the movie) and Midway Mania.
    -One Man's Dream moved to Magic Kingdom (This could be so much better on Main Street U.S.A. where the Kodak Image Expo is.)

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo
    Let's not forget that Midway Mania is replacing Millionaire. Like it or hate it, it still isn't adding anything to the park, it is merely replacing another attraction. Why not add something without taking anything out? That's what needs to be done.
    IMHO...It is "adding" something to the park. Something worth seeing. Millionaire is based on a canceled TV show. If "Millionaire" was the number one attraction, I would agree. But it isn't. What's wrong with "editing" the mix of attractions in the park over time to the best things you can offer? Will Millionaire gain more or less appeal over time? Like most attractions, it's seen it's day and wjhile still entertianing to a degree, slowly loses popularity. Some more than others. The labor cost of that show will likely go towards the new ride anyway, perhaps part of the reason it got approved in the first place. Just my opinion.

I respect yours, but just wanted to point out that replacing something can be a positive thing, especially if the thing you are taking out is not a "Classic".
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Iron-Clad Allie

Disney-MGM Studios needs all the rides thaty it can get. According to Disney news and rumors, there are several new rides that are due to replace or revamp other attractions. Of course Who Wants To Be a Millionaire: Play It! will soon move aside for Midway Mania. There are ramblings o Star Tours being revamped ...the same rumoe exists for Disneyland (which would likely occur first).,

A ride is supposed to replace Sounds Dangerous - the name and descriptin remain non-disclosed. A buzz has travelled about for a long while that the Great Movie Ride is going to give way to a villans simulator ride. Though, I doubt this will happen as the Movie ride is just too darn popular - and they update it periodically. Perhaps, either the simulator ride or Turtle Twister (from Disney Studios Paris will take the place of Sounds Dangerous.

The best news is that the Studios may expand at some point in the future. If this prooves true, all new rides and attractions will be built without the need to tear down any previous existing ones. An Indy ride is supposed to be included in this expansion.

As Al has stated, the MCM moniker will be dropped in 2006 or '07. As the park will vie for a fresh identity at that time, perhaps Disney will go gung-ho over buiding new rides. That would be awesome plus some!

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Ha ha ha, next you'll be telling me that they plan to expand across World Drive. Yes, those plans did exist. No, there are no major expansion projects planned for the Studios at this time. And that name change, sure it will happen eventually. But not this year, and I highly doubt next year.

My first trip to Disney MGM Studios was about a month after it opened and it was light on rides then. And I don't know if it was the newness of it, but I liked it then. There was still an overdependence on shows over rides, but there was a lot of audience participation, with the Superstar Television, Monster Sound Show, Indy Stunt Show and the walkthrough portion of the studio tour after the tram tour ended. They've taken out most of the participation part. They've taken out Superstar Television and Hunchback with nothing to replace them. I'd like to see them add new attractions and have it grow, at least to me, right now, it's pretty much just a half day park. It could be such a great park, if the right approach is taken with it. It has my favorite rides in RNR and TOT, I love the atmosphere and, in most cases, food of the table service restaurants there. It could use a few more attractions to round the park out.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    IMHO...It is "adding" something to the park. Something worth seeing. Millionaire is based on a canceled TV show. If "Millionaire" was the number one attraction, I would agree. But it isn't. What's wrong with "editing" the mix of attractions in the park over time to the best things you can offer? Will Millionaire gain more or less appeal over time? Like most attractions, it's seen it's day and wjhile still entertianing to a degree, slowly loses popularity. Some more than others. The labor cost of that show will likely go towards the new ride anyway, perhaps part of the reason it got approved in the first place. Just my opinion.

I respect yours, but just wanted to point out that replacing something can be a positive thing, especially if the thing you are taking out is not a "Classic".
    I agree with what you're saying. I guess I just am sad because I actually enjoyed Millionaire, and will be sad to see it go. Also, Midway Mania is not really exciting me much at this point.

Let's hope the rumored Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride rears its head sometime soon. Then I will be excited. Or even better, the Great Muppet Movie ride brought back to life.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1
    I would still like to see an Indiana Jones ride added to MGM
    Yeah, that would be awesome. It could have more of a "movie set" feel, compared to the one in DL. The queue area could be backstage on a movie set. Then, you - the guest - could star in the movie along with Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover
    Isn't that the truth. You have stated the sad truth on the current state of things in the land of Disney. I hope new managment is instaled soon especialy when it comes to WDW. I don't want to be a clone of any of the other parks each one needs to be it's self.

That is Jay rasulo's bright idea of Disney theme park globalization.

Lets have all the parks celebrate the same celebration for 12 to 18 months.
    Lets have them share the parades from eachother instead of making diferent one.
    Lets design an attraction and copy it in every park wether it fits or not then we could retheme the attraction and build it again under a diferent name.

It started with Disneylands 50th anniversary being celebrated in supposedly all resorts until OLC got smart and ditched the idea in Tokyo.

continues with the dreams celebration.

Before signature attractions were duplicated but minor attractions stayed mostly stayed exculsive to each resort.

Not anymore - Jay decided lets go ahead and copy Turtle talk which fits perfectly in The seas pavilion and place it in DCa's animation court. Then lets change the main character and built it in tomorrowland and call it stitch encounter.

Now we have Midway mania designed to fit a pier environment for DCA being copied and placed in a studio setting in MGM.

Lets not forget Monsters Inc. Built for DCA's studio area and reworked for tokyo's tomorrowland with elements similiar to midway mania and then reworked again to go into MK's tomorrowland.

and it will continue to happen.

With Jay rasulo's new restructuring program that stripped away power from each resorts presidents. Disneyland resort lost one of the best Presidents it had. WDW has basically no one in the top spot and Disneyland Paris president is also like a puppet with little power.

Jay's restructuring idea stripped them all from power and gave him and his vice president power to do most if not all approvals on resorts decisions.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo
    . . .
    Before signature attractions were duplicated but minor attractions stayed mostly stayed exculsive to each resort.

Not anymore - Jay decided lets go ahead and copy Turtle talk which fits perfectly in The seas pavilion and place it in DCa's animation court. Then lets change the main character and built it in tomorrowland and call it stitch encounter.

Now we have Midway mania designed to fit a pier environment for DCA being copied and placed in a studio setting in MGM.

Lets not forget Monsters Inc. Built for DCA's studio area and reworked for tokyo's tomorrowland with elements similiar to midway mania and then reworked again to go into MK's tomorrowland.

and it will continue to happen.. . .
    Baloo, I agree with the central point of your post, but there are some errors.

Stitch Encounter existed at least six months (maybe a year) before
    Turtle Talk. It was the testbed for the technology that became Turtle Talk.

From all accounts, Monster Inc ride in TDR is a new and completely different
    from DCA's which was a clever rebuild of Superstar Limo.

If you're saying that this is derivative, then so is Roger Rabbit which the
    Imagineers attribute to being a combination of Teacups and Alice in
    Wonderland.

Again, I completely agree with your premise, just not some of the data
    points.

• ...TWO BITS!

1) Midway Mania coming to Millionaire

2) Why on earth is it okay for Indy ride to replace Indy stunt show now?? I thought most people hated clones... ah, the human mind... keep the show. It's different and no one else has it.

3) Sounds Dangerous (yawn) being talked about for TNBC and Turtle Twister. Monsters, inc at one time. But thanks to the (my opinion) not so great Monsters attraction for Innoventions, doesn't seem like it. I do however they somehow put the headphone/soundtechnology into some other attraction. Kind of a waste I think.

4) For DCA's MuppetVision, I would replace it with Muppet Movie Mayhem (Great Muppet Movie Ride). Don't know about MGM's Muppets, you can keep it. DCA has enough film attractions (Golden Dreams, Soarin, Bugs, Muppets).

5) update to GMR would be good.

6) Narnia attraction would be great. A water flume ride? I don't think MGM has that yet. So this would be good. Probably use an unused land (I'm not familar with the park's real estate).

7) Poor excuse for a studio tram tour. YIKES. Something definately needs to be done. I'm not very familar with this park's real estate, so I have no suggestions for improvements for the tram.

8) Streets of America was a yawn as well. I thought it would have an attraction somewhere, like how USO does with Mummy, Twister, and Earthquake. They should definately do that here. I'm not sure about the Osbourne Lights/ Hunchback. Again, not very familar with the area.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

^^ I don't want to replace the Indy stunt show with an Indy ride, I want an Indy ride in addition to the stunt show. I basically want a whole Lucasfilm section for that corner of the park (new Indy ride plus upgrade to Star Tours plus Indy stunt show). And I would replace Sounds Dangerous with another sound effects attraction that used state of the art sound effects from Lucasfilm's THX and Skywalker Sound.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

Great post, Baloo.

And yes, Jay Rasulo's plan is to globalize the product by cloning as much as can be done and swapping parades and shows, the cheaper and less ambitious ones preferably.

His power play has already cost him one quality exec in Matt Ouimet.

And Karl Holz is absolutely a puppet at DLP ... not to mention in way over his head to begin with. He has no business being in such a position but has managed to move his way up the ladder at TWDC with the vast exodus of talent over the past decade, which corresponds to him first coming aboard with Disney.

But he's much like Jay ... someone who belongs working for WalMart or some company on such a level.

And the Studios needs a whole lot more than one new ride to draw visitors back. It needs 3-4.

It also needs to lose the BAH!

• Rock Star Minion

Given the space that WDW has, I see no reason to replace any attraction unless it truly sucks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Given the space that WDW has, I see no reason to replace any attraction unless it truly sucks.
    Except it means hiring even more people instead of reusing the people you already have. Reality is harsh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12