Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Typhoon Lagoon vs Blizzard Beach?

This isn't just a hypothetical question, I'm actually seeking some advice.

If you were going to spend one day of your WDW trip at one of the water parks, which one would you choose, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach? And why? What are some of the pros and cons of each one. Thanks very much!
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Typhoon Lagoon vs Blizzard Beach?

I've only been to BB twice and TL once, so I'm not an expert, but here's my take.

They are both fun and worthwhile and mostly equivalent, but IMHO:
    * BB has better (read "longer") slides
    * I think TL has a bigger wave pool. Also bigger waves.
    * I like the "winter" theme of BB better in the summer, but TL's theme in the
    colder months.
    * TL has the new Crush'n Gusher which is kind of like a coaster in the
    sense you go up & down
    * TL has Shark Reef (sp?) where you can snorkel w/ manta rays and sharks
    * Overall BB has better (fun) theming due to its theme - Winter Ski Park in FL.

• Married and happy again!!

I have been to BB once and TL 10 times. There is a reason for that. For me the winter theme just does nothing for me. I see real snow and can ski all winter long so it holds nothing for me. TL's wave pool is far supirior to BB's the waves are just better there, Shark reef is great fun you can dive on the one side (or at least they had that working last week), I like the themeing on Castaway Creek better than BB's lazy river (I can't even think of name right now). Crush'n Gusher is so much fun. BB does have the higher faster body slides though. TL's surf music rules. Guess it really depends if you are a summer person or a winter person.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Spaceport Labor Droid

Depends on where you are from - I'm from way up north so the snow and cold don't much do it for me but the tropics, now that is nice! Also, with the new water coaster at TL and, in my opinion, better theme work I would go there over BB if given the choice. In the off season one is usually closed so if you want a water park it is sort of pre-determined for you which you'll be headed to!
    And on your left, ladies and gentlemen, is The Backside of Water...

River Country!

But since that unfortunately isn't a choice anymore, I'll go with Typhoon Lagoon. Less concrete, more shade ...

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

^^ Ha! Yeah, I remember River Country, it was the first and worst sunburn of my life. Good times, good times.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

I'd go with Typhoon Lagoon. For me, it's the diversity of it. I like BB too and they each have their pluses. If you like the tall drop slide, Summit Plummet is great. I like Blizzard Beach's family raft ride and the toboggan racer is a lot of fun. Great kid's area, too.

I like Typhoon Lagoon because they have a great wave pool, the water coaster is fun, Shark Reef, and the slides are good. Either way you can't go wrong.

• Banned User

Typhoon lagoon.

They have free surfing lessons there.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    TL has Shark Reef (sp?) where you can snorkel w/ manta rays and sharks
    OH WOW!! I didn't know this was at TL. I'd love to give it a try. Does it cost extra beyond the cost of entering the park? From what I saw on the Disney website, it looks like they allow one person or small group in at a time. Are there typically long lines because of this? Is there a time limit on how long you can swim in there?

Not a huge waterpark fan, but this I'd do in a heartbeat!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

HA! I was going to ask this question in a few months for when I go in February. Oh well, my work is done with me.

I'm thinking TL for us.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    OH WOW!! I didn't know this was at TL. I'd love to give it a try. Does it cost extra beyond the cost of entering the park? From what I saw on the Disney website, it looks like they allow one person or small group in at a time. Are there typically long lines because of this? Is there a time limit on how long you can swim in there?

There's no additional cost for Shark Reef. They do limit the amount of people entering the water at one time. I've never had a long line to get in there, but I can't recall being there when it's very crowded. Not sure about the time limit.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha

The wait can vary from season to season. When we were there last week we waited 20 min early in the day but by noon or so it was a 45 min wait. When we have been there in the fall wait has been around 10 min max for the most part. Spring time same basic thing unless it was near Spring Break or a holiday. No charge to do it. They take about 10 to 20 people for the part at a shot. The time in the pool is limited they really want you to go pretty much straight across the pool. It is so much fun though I love to do this so does my daughter.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Blog Entries

I haven't been to this park since I was probably 10 or 11, so I'm guessing around 18 years ago, however the only thing I remember is the shark reef. So I can't say how it works now, but back then it was so fun but the water was ice cold. It was so cold it took your breath away, but as a kid it was the most amazing thing to know I was swimming with sharks. I told all my friends about it for weeks.

It must have been memorable because it's the only thing I still remember from that park.

• Minion

Thanks for the info about Shark Reef everyone!

OK, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

• e komo mai

Is it werid being in the winter theme of BB while it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity outside?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast