Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

I rode the 'Bad' Movie Ride today

G-Fan and I took a short walk around EPCOT and D/MGM today as the weather has been lovely in the past couple of days. Did 'Soarin" and ended up in row #1 which was nice! Then walked over to the MK and the castle mirror is yet getting a new addition of what appears to be a rotating sign which will identify the resort where the displayed castle is from. However, it was inop so I am just guessing here...

Then went to MGM. G-Fan and I decided to go on the 'Great' Movie Ride since it was refurbished not long ago and the wait was only 5 mins. So, we walk in. Waited about 10 mins and then we boarded the ride vehicles. We noticed there were only 2 vehicles as opposed to the customary 4.

We started our trip and we are in that "By the waterfall" Footlight Parade set. You know the one..which stopped rotating like months after MGM opened in May 1989 and has never been fixed to it's original glory... The one they have covered with a see thru screen where Follies photos are projected.... A japanese rock garden has more personality and animation than this mannequin set. Even the water fountains are turned off, which is odd since the bubble machine overhead is on, and dripping soap.

We proceed down the Mary Poppins set and into the gangster scene where we had to endure the very very very BAD acting of the female CM playing the mobster who takes over our ride vehicle. She was truly bad. Don't they auditions these kids before hand anymore?? Anyways... I noticed many of the effects that used to go with the shootout scene are inop. There is no more smoke on the walls to simulate bullet hits. The whole scene felt bland to say the least.

We then proceeded down the western scene, where my favorite scene ("the bank's gonna blow!!!" KABOOM!) appears to be dead in the water and no longer used since there are no vehicle #1 & #2 ahead of us. So we go pass this area quickly. Then the totally unscary "Alien", the nicer "Indy", the skelleton scene, and Tarzan scene. All these scenes appeared to have newer lighting and some new set dressing.

Then we came to a halt in the "Casablanca" scene. We were stuck there for about 4 mins and saw the same scene play out repeatedly about 3 times when finally our CM came on the mike and informed us that we were temporarily delayed... Finally we started moving forwards and our trip continued. Passing the "Fantasia" scene and into the "Wizard of Oz" scene. It all played beautifully..."Who killed my sista!!!!"...."Begone before someone drops a house on your too!!" jada jada.

Then...we didn't move. Again, we sat there as the Munchkins sang "follow the yellow brick road" until the music faded and the Munchkins AAs stopped operating. As we sat there in silence for a few moments, the brat next to me asked "what happened?!" The CM never said a word as we sat there in a dead set. Then after what appeared to be an eternity, we started our forward motion, the saw Dorothy and Oz friends, then the final movie montage.

I just have to say that this was by far the worst Movie Ride I have experienced. The CMs involved in our tour were horrendously bad actors and never gave a performance that would engage the guests with the plot of the ride. Coming to 2 stops where sets and AAs were seen horribly off cue was painful and sloppy. So it was quite disappointing for both G-Fan and I. I did notice improvements in lighting and some minor set dressing (most notably in the bank scene) but that was it.

Honestly...I much rather see them pull the plug on this ride, since it was so totally blocked off from view by the gift shop hat, than to see them run it so poorly. Very bad show. My post refurbishing rating: D-

• Mostly Harmless.

I like to call it the "pretty good" movle ride.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Vehicle rotating backward

The Movie Ride is an old ride in the middle of a theme park that Disney seems to have forgotten entirely about. Perhaps Universal crushed their spirits with IOA or something so they decided to leave the movie tie-in idea to die.

I watched this on a downloaded video because I never seen it and I know that attractions inside iconic buildings are usually nice ones. Regardless, because of how heavily it supports on live talent, it suprasses Knott's train hijack in cornyness.

At this point, they should just pull a Jungle Cruise and turn it from a serious ride into a comedic one.

• Inappropriate

I think the biggest problem is that the name has the word "Great" in it. All they need to do is change the name to "The Movie Ride." That way, expectations wouldn't be so high. But since i don't like this ride at all anyway, and personal biases are the greatest commen factor in these boards, i think they should take The Movie Ride out back and shoot it. They could easily put a much better ride in there. Or spend millions of dollars to make it interesting again, but something has just GOT to be done to this ride!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I want to see a video of it, anyone know where I can find one?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Well, since Disney is itching to rip out all those costly AAs and replace a 20-minute attraction with a 2-3 minute thrill ride, what did you expect?

They aren't maintaining it. They purposely hid it from view with the horrific big *** hat and pin stand. They almost ignore it in promotional materials. Do you sense a pattern here?

then they can pull one of those 'it wasn't popular with our guests' anymore when they rip it out. It was a GREAT ride when it opened and it should/could be again.

I've said before

thrill rides are more advertisable but the long immersive rides are what most people actualy return for

I was both amazed and scared of this ride as a kid I don't know if the castmember was good or if I was just really impresionable but I liked the hijack scene back in the day

I do think it's hard to select true classic movies and that the ride hasn't aged quite so well (more like the OLD movie ride)

it is sad to see Disney letting go of it though :\

I don't think Disney has forgotten MGM but MGM is doing decent with ToT and RnRC and now they've given it a stunt show

honestly WDW is colapsing under it's own weight it seems

maybe it would've been better if they hadn't built AK and had instead focased energy and money into upgrading epcot and adding more to MGM while keeping the overall upkeep intact

then later they could've added another gate

now they have three underperforming parks it seems like

• Inappropriate

Man... i really wish i had a chance to ride The Movie Ride back in the day. It sounds like it was cool back then. What makes me laugh is that in the Imagineering book (anyone have this?) The Great Movie Ride was originally planned for Epcot. But from this single ride a whole new park appeared. Really, if it wasn't for this ride, there would be no Studios park. It's sad to see it tossed aside now, and when i rode it is after it had been tossed aside, so i can see where my bias of "get rid of it" comes from. Disney's black magic worked on me! But...i do like the giant Sorcerer Hat...just not right there! But something needs to be done with the Movie Ride. Either fix it, or if needs be, get the money to put something more amazing in its place, and preferably something that has to do with classic movies.
    On a side note, you know what would be cool? Having a "black and white" room in rememberance of really old movies, like Charlie CHaplin flicks. Have like a well-designed set and everything but have it all in the shades of a black and white movie, no color at all! Now i know this sounds dull, but has anyone been on the Disney Cruise and eaten at Animator's Palate? It startes off with everything in the restaurant in black and white, including all the cast members' clothes. Then as your dinner goes on, lights change and music changes and the cast members even change clothes and the whole restaurant eventually explodes into full color! Incorporating this idea into a "great" movie ride would be awesome!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    G-Fan and I took a short walk around EPCOT and D/MGM today as the weather has been lovely in the past couple of days. Did 'Soarin" and ended up in row #1 which was nice! Then walked over to the MK and the castle mirror is yet getting a new addition of what appears to be a rotating sign which will identify the resort where the displayed castle is from. However, it was inop so I am just guessing here...

Then went to MGM. G-Fan and I decided to go on the 'Great' Movie Ride since it was refurbished not long ago and the wait was only 5 mins. So, we walk in. Waited about 10 mins and then we boarded the ride vehicles. We noticed there were only 2 vehicles as opposed to the customary 4.

We started our trip and we are in that "By the waterfall" Footlight Parade set. You know the one..which stopped rotating like months after MGM opened in May 1989 and has never been fixed to it's original glory... The one they have covered with a see thru screen where Follies photos are projected.... A japanese rock garden has more personality and animation than this mannequin set. Even the water fountains are turned off, which is odd since the bubble machine overhead is on, and dripping soap.

We proceed down the Mary Poppins set and into the gangster scene where we had to endure the very very very BAD acting of the female CM playing the mobster who takes over our ride vehicle. She was truly bad. Don't they auditions these kids before hand anymore?? Anyways... I noticed many of the effects that used to go with the shootout scene are inop. There is no more smoke on the walls to simulate bullet hits. The whole scene felt bland to say the least.

We then proceeded down the western scene, where my favorite scene ("the bank's gonna blow!!!" KABOOM!) appears to be dead in the water and no longer used since there are no vehicle #1 & #2 ahead of us. So we go pass this area quickly. Then the totally unscary "Alien", the nicer "Indy", the skelleton scene, and Tarzan scene. All these scenes appeared to have newer lighting and some new set dressing.

Then we came to a halt in the "Casablanca" scene. We were stuck there for about 4 mins and saw the same scene play out repeatedly about 3 times when finally our CM came on the mike and informed us that we were temporarily delayed... Finally we started moving forwards and our trip continued. Passing the "Fantasia" scene and into the "Wizard of Oz" scene. It all played beautifully..."Who killed my sista!!!!"...."Begone before someone drops a house on your too!!" jada jada.

Then...we didn't move. Again, we sat there as the Munchkins sang "follow the yellow brick road" until the music faded and the Munchkins AAs stopped operating. As we sat there in silence for a few moments, the brat next to me asked "what happened?!" The CM never said a word as we sat there in a dead set. Then after what appeared to be an eternity, we started our forward motion, the saw Dorothy and Oz friends, then the final movie montage.

I just have to say that this was by far the worst Movie Ride I have experienced. The CMs involved in our tour were horrendously bad actors and never gave a performance that would engage the guests with the plot of the ride. Coming to 2 stops where sets and AAs were seen horribly off cue was painful and sloppy. So it was quite disappointing for both G-Fan and I. I did notice improvements in lighting and some minor set dressing (most notably in the bank scene) but that was it.

Honestly...I much rather see them pull the plug on this ride, since it was so totally blocked off from view by the gift shop hat, than to see them run it so poorly. Very bad show. My post refurbishing rating: D-
    Well it is great to see that you were able to focus on the good aspects of your trip. While I don't think that the state of disrepair of The Great Movie Ride is acceptable, I also don't think it is as horrid as you make it out to be. The fact that the ride had only a five minute wait meant it would have been dumb to have more than 2 vehicles in the load area at once. The vehicle capicity for those two vehicles are rediculous anyways. Secondly the very nature of this ride makes it hard to cast. While you say the acting was Terrible these people are doing there best and one bad acting job happens every now and then (I mean you can't tell me youv'e never been on the jungle cruise w/ a Skipper who was not funny). It happens we are all human and it is not a perfect world. Next if the Kaboom seen was your favorite you would also know that the big explosion only happens when you get the Western Scene. During slow times like the one you encountered they usually have the mobster scene most likely cause it saves money by not having to use the fire affect. From there out the technical problems can happen at anytime, for any reason, on any ride and remember that while Cast Members may be a little numb in the head after a full day of answering when the 3:00 parde starts at. They are not psychic so most of the time they don't know exactly what is going on and to tell guests that would cause a panic. So while I know that life is not a box full of chocolates one needs to rember that not everything at WDW is horrendous as you seem to think it is. So from Me to You "Have a Magical Day and Enjoy The rest of your stay here at Walt Disney World."
    Tricia Jones:When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...
    Brodie: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by coaster3001
    Well it is great to see that you were able to focus on the good aspects of your trip. While I don't think that the state of disrepair of The Great Movie Ride is acceptable, I also don't think it is as horrid as you make it out to be. The fact that the ride had only a five minute wait meant it would have been dumb to have more than 2 vehicles in the load area at once. The vehicle capicity for those two vehicles are rediculous anyways. Secondly the very nature of this ride makes it hard to cast. While you say the acting was Terrible these people are doing there best and one bad acting job happens every now and then (I mean you can't tell me youv'e never been on the jungle cruise w/ a Skipper who was not funny). It happens we are all human and it is not a perfect world. Next if the Kaboom seen was your favorite you would also know that the big explosion only happens when you get the Western Scene. During slow times like the one you encountered they usually have the mobster scene most likely cause it saves money by not having to use the fire affect. From there out the technical problems can happen at anytime, for any reason, on any ride and remember that while Cast Members may be a little numb in the head after a full day of answering when the 3:00 parde starts at. They are not psychic so most of the time they don't know exactly what is going on and to tell guests that would cause a panic. So while I know that life is not a box full of chocolates one needs to rember that not everything at WDW is horrendous as you seem to think it is. So from Me to You "Have a Magical Day and Enjoy The rest of your stay here at Walt Disney World."
    Your post looses a lot of steam with me because 1) you come across as a biased CM who actually "thinks" you guys do a good job at WDW now a days and 2) you use the terms "I think this, and I think that..." I don't think. I am telling you what I saw and how it was executed. before you tell me how to enjoy my day at WDW, maybe you should take a spin there and come up with an opinion based on your actual physical experience of the "Not so great" Movie Ride as I experienced it yesterday. And..if I ever find out where you work and what you do when I am out on property doing another "quality control/phantom walk" around the property, I will hold you personally responsible of making my day a magical one, as I will be grading your performance.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-29-2005 at 07:52 AM.

• Banned User

I'm gonna agree with TDLFan... the GMR has no excuse for only running at half capacity. The acting is constantly horrible. It's not just one experience... perhaps once out of every five times we'll get one good character, but I have yet to see 2 good characters on the same trip. I've been on it for break downs twice and they did in-ride evacs.

It really needs some work.

• On Autopilot

yuck. Our CMs weren't too bad. We had a male ganster who was kinda funny... We didn't have any problems, but.. it did seem kinda lack luster in the end.

Although our favorite thing was when that guy screamed STELLA!!!!

Street Car rules

• Banned User

Great Movie Ride needs to get replaced with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Great Movie Ride needs to get replaced with something.
    greater movie ride?

great action movie ride?

I don't think it needs replacing it just needs a huge overhaul

it's a great ride idea and there needs to be at least ONE actual "ride" for families to go on

but some of these classics just arn't classic anymore for todays youth

they need to reinovate what's classic and try for a more exciting type adventure (keeping what's worked before)

then they can add more amazing effects to it and it'd be fine

• Minion

Even if Sir Laurence Olivier was the gangster, it would still be a bit corny. I love the ride, but I know that bit is coming, so I just sort of go along with it and enjoy the scenery. I agree with making it a bit of a spoof.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast