Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: Breaking News: Disney announces new President of the Walt Disney World Resort

She does not need experience for that position. She just has to do everything that Al Weiss tells her to do. It is a cunning move for Al. You just pick an inexperienced person to run the largest and most complex resort that Disney has. She will need LOTS of help, so Al will step in to "lend a hand." If he hired someone who had run another resort, they would not nearly want Al's "guidance." Al is a cagey person.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Re: Breaking News: Disney announces new President of the Walt Disney World Resort

She has nil park ops experience and I don't care how good she was in HR, that's like saying a hockey player would be a great baseball player. Two different things. She may have been great in HR, but what does she know about running an operation like WDW?

It is in no way like comparing Matt going from DCL to DL. None at all. As a matter of fact, the ONLY part of TWDC to not lose its premium status during the disasterous days of the late 90s and early 00s was DCL.

This has all the earmarks of a Jay Rasulo puppet hire. Another exec he can rule and count on for support no matter how insipid his ideas (like say the Year of a Million Free Churros, FastPasses and Grumpy pins) unlike a free thinker like Ouimet. Someone respected in Glendale ... someone with Bob Iger's ear as well as John Lasseter's and Tony Baxter's.

I do find it interesting that the O-Sentinel would link an imbecile like Karl Holz with the position, even if he is one of Jay's best minions. He's not doing a good job in Paris, he personally caused a major rift with the Chinese delegation when they were visiting DLP last spring and is just ... well, more of a WalMart caliber human being (I'm being very kind here.) I think his name was 'placed' in that story to help prop him up in Paris until the 15th Anniversary is over.

I doubt very much that Al Weiss had much impact on this. No, this is Jay's baby all the way ... remember that Al is basically Jay's top puppet (a role he's been so good at during his decade of devastation as WDW Prez).

Why Bob keeps Jay is the question burning in my mind.

Maybe Bob just feels comfortable with Jay heading parks. I don't know how judging by all the disasters on his watch, maybe he's just a 'fall guy' for Bob ... someone to take the heat when people notice that DL's 50th is long past and the only 'new' thing on the horizon is the old subs redressed and way over budget, someone to take the heat when the legit media finally starts writing about some of the thing that have gone down at WDW in terms of quality, cleanliness and upkeep, someone to take the heat for the idiots running DLP, someone to take the heat for the seemingly endless blunders TWDC has made in China. ... I don't know. It's scary, but I really think Paul Pressler was a better parks head. At least he understood the retail part of the business. I'm convinced Jay understands nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    So besides this slightly uh...empty report on her past now we need the real info. Who is she? Where has she worked? When was she there?
    I know a fair amount of folks in WDW's ranks, as well as in Burbank and Glendale.

Not one person could tell me anything substantial about her.

Hell, I don't even think I've ever met her and in 27 years at WDW, she SHOULD have met me .

So, the more I hear (or don't hear) the more I see her as Jay's latest puppet to go with Ed in Anaheim, Karl in Paris and Bill in HK.

• Banned User

here is the substantial that anyone needs to know . she worked for jay so i agree it's someone else he can pull the strings of. I know bob is trying to deal with the fewest people possible reporting directly to him but this whole situation with the parks is rather sad. the actual resort heads having very little or no say in what goes on at their resorts. no wonder matt got fed up. I do feel though that DL is going to suffer more than WDW because they have to deal with lassitter who seems to think that DL is his own personal playground and if you think the subs are going to be over budget, just wait till midway madness gets going. I knew it was a bad idea agreeing to him being a creatinve consultant for wdi.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Here is an interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that Meg Crofton has accepted the toughest job in town.

She was named the new chief of Walt Disney World on Thursday, and she comes packing a solid background -- some operational experience and lots of HR, a plus if you're managing nearly 58,000 employees.

Still, when I think of all that Crofton inherits, it seems staggering. Being Mickey's boss is the biggest job in Orlando -- indeed, one of the biggest in the whole tourism industry.

But it's surely one of the most challenging, too.

Crofton replaces Al Weiss, who got a bump up last year to oversee Disney's parks worldwide. She'll be responsible for the biggest and best performing of all of Disney's resorts -- and you can bet that the folks at the Burbank HQ will be keeping tabs.

First, the good news: Orlando is a money machine. The resort had a 7 percent attendance gain in the last quarter and hotel occupancy of 92 percent -- both excellent returns during a difficult time for the tourism industry.

And there have been two huge successes lately: The Magical Express airport shuttle service, which is effectively keeping visitors on Disney property and away from the competition; and the Magic Your Way ticket packages that encourage longer stays. Both have boosted revenue.

But how does she top all that? Rest assured, Disney honchos aren't going to be happy with the status quo. They will expect a continued -- and ever larger -- river of money flowing from Orlando to go to the corporate bottom line.

Crofton will have to keep things growing at a time when the economy is slowing, gas prices are rising and her customers -- especially the international ones -- may be afraid to get on planes.

You can add to that mix hurricanes, which have hurt Florida tourism generally; and the issue of park safety, since two people have died after riding Epcot's Mission: Space.

And did I mention the struggle that every attraction has to keep rides and shows relevant under increasingly tight-fisted financial conditions?

Crofton isn't yet well known in the Orlando local community. And she succeeds the very well-known Weiss, who in recent years has increased Disney's presence in the downtown business community. Of course, she can fix this quickly by getting involved on more local boards.

More challenging may be that Crofton is taking on her role with Weiss staying in Orlando. That's made some people wonder how much Weiss will remain involved in decisions regarding the Orlando resort.

That's not a bad thing, necessarily. In fact when I asked Crofton about Weiss, she said having him in Orlando was an "upside" and that she is "grateful Al is still here."

Indeed, the two have skills that complement each other. But will she have the freedom to run her own show? Maybe it was just a coincidence, but Weiss popped to the microphone to answer a few of the questions directed at Crofton during the news conference that announced her arrival.

We'll see how Crofton fares in what is one of the most important -- and difficult -- jobs in town.

Looks like at least one person in the press thinks that she might be a puppet hire.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...dlines-tourism

As president of Walt Disney World, the region's largest employer, Crofton undoubtedly will gain greater recognition in a community where she's generally not well-known.

Many Central Florida business and civic leaders were at a loss to comment on her promotion. Several, including Universal Orlando President Bob Gault and Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty, said they didn't know her.

And though she has represented 99,000 worldwide employees -- including nearly 58,000 at Disney World -- as the global leader of human resources, few rank-and-file employees know her either.

"I have heard the name, but I honestly couldn't tell you where [which department] she came from," said Donna-Lynn Dalton, a Disney union leader.

Walt Disney's parks-and-resorts division underwent a major realignment in 2005, which included Weiss' elevation to its top job this past November. He continued overseeing the Walt Disney World Resort while searching for a successor.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Blog Entries

Well she is a Florida State graduate so she can't be all that bad.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Disney's Orlando resort to get new leader - Orlando Sentinel, 8/17/06

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    Meg Gilbert Crafton was Executive Vice President, Human Resources and Diversity & Inclusion for WDW prior to her promotion.
    Oh, goodie goodie gumdrops. I'm sure the leads and department heads will be beaming with respect that an HR person who spends their whole career sitting at a desk, moreso the HR person who keeps making everyone attend sensitivity/diversity training, has been granted actual power.

That's a recipe for bad in any officeplace. I'm gonna bet that she doesn't even go out into the parks.

• Banned User

i wouldnt worry, she wasn't even allowed to answer her own questions and wies still in orlando can only mean trouble ahead. same old status quo until people stop coming or start going to other parks instead. eventually most people aren't going to want to stay weeks at a time at the resort anyway. there are already signs of people getting tired of the only on property mentality.

Everyone here is so negative.

Truth be told, there is a good chance that she may end up another puppet exec who will do only what it takes to get the money, regardless of the other costs. But there is a good, no, very good chance that she may be the turn around for this resort.

I read somewhere on this thread that HR is a long way from show. You couldn't be more wrong. Folks who are happy, and love what they do, will take care of their work, and the environment in which it happens. Maybe this new management will clean up the parks, maybe they will spend the money where it needs to go. But in order to make the best theme park experience, it all begins with the people who interact with your guests. That in reality is the "show". Someone who is made happy by a unique experience with a Disney Cast Member will tend to overlook most details.

While I still believe that a massive "spit-shine" is needed throughout the resort, especially with the older parks, I think that a positive cast experience will definetly promote a good guest experience.

But overall, we need to give her a chance, an honest chance, before we jump to conclusions.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Disney Memory Maker

I completely agree with you Niyxsyx.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95
    here is the substantial that anyone needs to know . she worked for jay so i agree it's someone else he can pull the strings of. I know bob is trying to deal with the fewest people possible reporting directly to him but this whole situation with the parks is rather sad. the actual resort heads having very little or no say in what goes on at their resorts. no wonder matt got fed up. I do feel though that DL is going to suffer more than WDW because they have to deal with lassitter who seems to think that DL is his own personal playground and if you think the subs are going to be over budget, just wait till midway madness gets going. I knew it was a bad idea agreeing to him being a creatinve consultant for wdi.
    If DL suffers more than WDW -- and that's a big if -- it won't be because of John Lasseter, but in spite of him.

Lasseter 'gets' Disney ...and made Pixar into the best animation studio in the world. His personal interest in DL is due to the fact he worked there as a front-line CM. It's his special place ... like it is for millions.

Lasseter can't be blamed for the subs debacle. The nature of retrofitting a 1959 attraction that has been rotting since 1998 for a 2007 audience is daunting in many ways. The infrastructure in those buildings for example weren't designed for what Disney is now doing, that means expensive rejiggering of things. WDI's incompetence is largely responsible for the budgetary problems the attraction has had.

As for Midway Madness, this is another attraction that was approved (at least for Disney-MGM, it's still not a given at DCA) before Disney purchased Pixar.

There are a lot of problem people at TWDC ... from Jay Rasulo and Al Weiss on down ... John Lasseter may well be part of the solution. At the very least, the man is a visionary.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole
    Well she is a Florida State graduate so she can't be all that bad.
    GO KNIGHTS!!! GO KNIGHTS!!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I only found one picture of her in google image search...

Is this the same woman who was trying to tell me that WDW's pirates wasn't opening? my video on VF. heh. that's funny. She wouldn't tell me her position. I still wouldn't have believed her since 4 days earlier I was getting told the same thing at Disneyland for our pirates' soft opening. ;P
    I have to admit, she is prettier than most of the female Ambassadors of late at WDW, but that lipstick color is wrong wrong on her.. and loose the frumpy manly grey jacket. She ain't fooling no one.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I have to admit, she is prettier than most of the female Ambassadors of late at WDW, but that lipstick color is wrong wrong on her.. and loose the frumpy manly grey jacket. She ain't fooling no one.
    This is OT, but.... why is it that the WDW Ambassadors are so unattractive?

Disneyland has had a string of cute and pretty young ambassadors. In the 90's and through 2003 it was year after year of ready-for-TV attractive young ladies in stylish hairdos and perky smiles. Once in awhile they'd throw a good looking guy in when they would have a year with more than one Ambassador.

In '04 Disneyland had a hottie surf-chick blonde, and for the last 18 months for the 50th thing they've had two attractive young ladies, a blonde and a brunette. They aren't as bombshell-ish as the previous blonde, but they are more polished and gracious. Like the difference between a PSA stewardess in go-go boots and hot pants and a Pan Am stewardess in a tight blue wool suit and white gloves.

But year after year the WDW Ambassadors are just..... ugly. Or dorky guys. Why?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast