• Disappearing/Reappearing

Ride restrictions...

I know, I now..you people wil be glad when I go to Disney World..no more of my stupid questions. Haha. But, for right now...I must torture you with yet another one...I know most of you have little ones and most of you are pass holders...so, I thought...who better to ask? Here it goes...

*My daughter (3 years) meets the height requirement for Kali River Rapids when she has her shoes on...but, after watching it on a travel channel special; I'm wondering if it's too wild for her....what do ya'll think?

*If we get her a little bit thicker heeled shoes, she can ride Splash Mt, Big Thuder Mt, and Dinosaur (she LOVES dinosaurs)...do ya'll think these are too scary for her? I know..you're thinking.."can't she decide her own self?", but, here's the thing...I'm a worry wart; hubby's the opposite. I think these rides might be too scary for her...he thinks she'll be fine. So, I want to know your experiences. Have your kids been on them? What did they think? How old were they?

*oh, with thicker shoes, she could ride Stitch too...which I know she would LOVE...why is there a height requirement anyway? It doesn't move...

Thanks for your input...I REALLY appreciate it.

Blog Entries

Re: Ride restrictions...

The Kali River Rapids is the tamest of any river ride I've ever been on. There's only one drop compared to several in most rides.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

On some of the rides you mentioned, it's not the height requirement that's an issue but the scary factor. A lot of Stitch is in the dark, with loud noises all around as Stitch is being shot at with large animatronic laser cannons. It's rare that you don't hear the sound of a child sobbing and begging to leave NOW. Dinosaur is WAY too scary for a 3 year old, unless she's particularly intrepid. Splash is fun and not really scary, but the big drop is pretty intense. You can see the drop from the outside, so I'd show it to her and see if she freaks or if she wants to go on it. I think Kali would be fine, as well as Big Thunder Mountain. BTMRR is a pretty tame roller coaster, and again she can see it in action so you can then judge if it'd freak her out.

Good luck!
    Last edited by danyoung; 08-18-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Blog Entries

A friend of mine has a child about your child's age that he is bringing down from Canada in early September. His plan is to take his kid on Goofy's barnstormer first. If she loves that ride then he'll move over to Big Thunder Mountain later and see if she thinks she can handle that one. If she hates Barnstormer and it scares her, then he knows not to even try Big Thunder. Sounds like a good idea to me.

That's a good way to do it. Has she gone on rides at the fair and how does she react? My oldest was four when we went to WDW last time and she was 40 inches tall. She rode Dinosaur and my wife said her screams were blood curdling. She liked Thunder Mountain, Test Track and Mission: Space. I'm not sure if she'd do Dinosaur again. She did Tower of Terror and won't do that again, and she likes Splash Mountain but the drop at the end scares her.

Thunder Mountain is probably her favorite ride. I think your daughter would be OK on Kali also.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Smile Re: Ride restrictions...

I agree with all that has been said here.
    When I took my 4.5 yr old niece last October, she was absolutely terrified while riding Dinosaur. Tears didn't stop for 10 minutes after the ride. The tears also came with ANY dark ride. It may be since we started her out on Snow White's Scary Adventure. (bad idea)
    She had been to local fairs before and that is where her parents found out that she absolutely LOVES thrill rides. So, she could not get enough of BTMR (it was her favorite and she went on it 4 times). She also tolerated Splash Mountain, except for the drop. She also did not enjoy the 3D experience of Philarmagic as she kept removing the glasses.
    My advice would be exactly as kcnole suggested. Stick with outside rides or indoor rides that are not dark (i.e. Small World). There will be plenty to do without ever having to hit the dark rides, and she will most likely have a favorite or two (or 3) that she will want to ride again.

• On the Highway in the Sky

Both of my kids are big for their size and they went on those rides at younger ages than most. That said, we did not take them on Dinosaur until they were bigger (and it still scared them). I would recommend against Dinosaur. Stitch is also scary for the smaller kids - I would wait on that one too. Get her a Stitch fix with a character greeting.

My kids both love Kali River Rapids (like has been said - pretty tame) and BTMRR. They also love Splash Mountain (although my youngest is still skittish about the drop).

I know this was not on your list, but ironically, my kids both liked ToT when they were younger but not so much now. I think they are understanding the storyline now and that has 'em spooked.

Thank you all SO much for your advice. I guess I'll respond according to ride...

Dinosaur..didn't realize it was THAT scary. I think I'll take your advice and wait on that one. She's a pretty wild child...I haven't found anything yet that scares her...but, I don't want to either. I think I'll ride first and then decide.

BTM..I LOVE this ride and really think she'll love it too. She LOVED Goofy's barnstormer. We rode that SO much last year, I got dizzy..so, I'd love for her to ride BTM.

I've done Stitch too..and thought it was great. I sat next to a dad and his real young son and the kid loved it. My daugher loves gross humor and she loves Stitch...so, I think she'd really like this. The dark doesn't scare her and the louder, the better with her.

and there's NO way I'm letting her on ToT or Mission Space. I don't even want hubby going on Mission Space...but, I have a history of heart problems in my family...so, I'm not taking that chance.

Thanks again...everyone. I REALLY appreciate it!!

• Banned User

One more restriction please: NO howling or applause for any particular Prez in the Hall of Prezzies, please. Very rude.

no problem...I never go there. haha

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo
    no problem...I never go there. haha
    Very smart of you.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy-poo
    Dinosaur..I think I'll ride first and then decide.
    You mean you're going to be a responsible parent? How unusual in this day and age - bravo!

• Crazy Furry

With Dinosaur, I've seen parents think there kids will like it because they like Dinosaurs. Well kids have only seen them as little toys or on tv, not life size going through a intense ride. It's smart going on it before your kid.

With Sitich, IMO Disney should get rid of it pronto. They made a huge failure in trying to make a family friendly attraction out of it. I've seen Stitch fans hate it, you better really know your kid before taking them on it. Just because you liked it or saw other little kids like it doesn't mean your child will.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.