• Iron-Clad Allie

Diving Down Memory Lane - 20K Memories Re-Surface (WDW Ride Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUmxYhxVUE4

From 1971 thru 1994, the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea ride WOWED it's guests. Click on the above link and enjoy a nastalic ride aboard a Nautilus submarine once again.

Here is an interesting site that, in turn, includes links to other sites -

YES! This site is all about the amazing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride that was at Disney World!
    http://www.20kride.com/home.html

Or, click on Mary Rolfe's synopsis of the ride, and her awesome array of photos.

http://www.pansophist.com/twntyk.htm

Re: Diving Down Memory Lane - 20K Memories Re-Surface (WDW Ride Video)

Cool, thanks! I was never able to go on that ride, it looks like it was fun.

• Santa Barbara, CA

i miss that ride, thanks
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• The one, the only...

Now aren't we glad that they replaced that ride with a child's playground? That playground is the only place in MK that you can sit on a park bench and eat peanuts while watching your toddlers play. That playground makes MK feel more like home, like your local mall! Why would anyone on vacation want to go on an adventure under the sea , when he can sit on park bench?

Now that is progress for you...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• World Traveler

Awesome! You gotta love the internet!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Now aren't we glad that they replaced that ride with a child's playground? That playground is the only place in MK that you can sit on a park bench and eat peanuts while watching your toddlers play. That playground makes MK feel more like home, like your local mall! Why would anyone on vacation want to go on an adventure under the sea , when he can sit on park bench?

Now that is progress for you...
    They've, of course, replaced Goofy's Bouncehouse at DL's Toon Town with yet another "safe" playground. Seems like I remember a story about Walt having envisioned Disneyland while sitting in a park, bored out of his mind, while watching his daughter play. He thought to himself, "What if there was a special kind of park that families could enjoy together?"

Today, Retro Team Disney and accountaneers seem to be wondering, "What if we can turn every stateside Disney Resort into a bunch of sucky little playgrounds, and bench all the parents.

I do hope that Disney has bigger plans for the filled in, paved over site of the former 20K Lagoon.
    The future will tell.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-27-2006 at 11:06 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• golly gawrrsh

ahhhh the memories. My wife never went on the ride - when her parents took her when she was a child the ride was closed for repairs and then when i took her of course it was gone. what a shame.

side note - when we took our daughter there this past june the grassed in area was blocked off with black fences and a few signs that said "stay off the grass" unless that area wasn't part of the original ride they are starting to block it off now.

lets just say we didn't travel 3 days with a 7 month old and spend $2K and more to sit on a park bench that we have 5 minutes from our house.

it boggles the mind i tell ya.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by cooknthyme View Post
    ahhhh the memories. My wife never went on the ride - when her parents took her when she was a child the ride was closed for repairs and then when i took her of course it was gone. what a shame.

side note - when we took our daughter there this past june the grassed in area was blocked off with black fences and a few signs that said "stay off the grass" unless that area wasn't part of the original ride they are starting to block it off now.

lets just say we didn't travel 3 days with a 7 month old and spend $2K and more to sit on a park bench that we have 5 minutes from our house.

it boggles the mind i tell ya.
    Extremely well put. Disney needs to know just how unhappy and let down people are over the 20K replacement...parents of young kids included.

• Disneyholic

I really enjoyed the video of the ride, it did bring back memories. One can only hope that if they do indeed make a villians park perhaps there will be room for Captain Nemo again.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• golly gawrrsh

My wife and I were discussing the 20k,where it used to be, does anyone have an old map or photos of were it used to be?

thanks for sharing the video. what great memories I have of the ride. Like many have asked before me...why did they close it?

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet Schmalzbach View Post
    thanks for sharing the video. what great memories I have of the ride. Like many have asked before me...why did they close it?
    In view of the phemominal success of Finding Nemo, I'd wager to say that they wish they hadn't destroyed the attraction and it's lagoon. Like Disneyland, WDW suits probably frowned on the ride's high maintanance/operating costs compared to it's relatively low capacity.

The area could house easily another a large scale E-ticket. Disney likely figures it is saving a ton of money right now. Quite frankly, people such as yourself should file complaints with the company. If you do not, who knows?...they might replace Splash Mountain with a library and Buzz Lightyear with an AM-PM Mini Market.