Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Quality Assured

Ideas to Fill in the 20,000 Leagues Vacancy

WDW's Magic Kingdom lacks the "charm" and "nostalgia" in its rides that Disneyland USA seems to have, excluding its more recent additions and the "New Tomorrowland." 20,000 Leagues was a ride with the Disneyland charm, and its completely gone now, even the lagoon has been paved over for a "Winnie the Pooh Playground."
    A "Winnie the Pooh Playground"! Are you kidding? That has zero nostalgia, zero creativeness, zero imagination, and zero charm. Its the perfect example of a crappy idea that can be easily found in any local park worldwide. I propose a new idea, and anyone else can back mine up, call up WDW, and propose their own idea on/because of this thread.
    This may sound crazy, but my proposal if for how a new roller coaster to fill in the now paved over, large vacant lagoon. Almost everyone knows the old Goofy cartoons (If I'm 15 and I know it, then a lot of other people must remember them) on the "Art of ...." Sine Disneyland has a Matterhorn, snow capped mountain, why can't WDW put in a new coaster themed to "The Art if Skiiing"
    Appearance wise, a similar Matterhorn look with a Blizzard Beach style theming. Ride would be a stand-up coaster (skiing look), with a loop or an BGW's Alpengeist inverted approach of a runaway Ski Lift. Throughout the ride you perform hills and turns similar to those in the animated short.
    The preshow could be the short itself! I don't see why this is not possible when $100 Million are being spent on Expedition Everest. Please reply and give you ideas and your opinions about filling the vacancy and about "The Art of Skiing/Mount Goof"

They could do so much with that area... it's really huge! I think the Pooh thing might just be a temporary fix (let's hope!!). I think you could easily fit a couple of dark rides back there. Maybe updated versions of Pinocchio and/or Alice from DL. Or something completely new and original. I would still love to see a Little Mermaid type ride. Perhaps done in the style of TDS. I dunno... time will tell on that one.

• MiceAge Columnist

Alpengeist takes up an ENORMOUS amount of room - about the size of MK's entire Tomorrowland. That would never fit.

I withhold judgment on the Pooh area. If it's a largely unthemed meet and greet, then I won't much like it.

If they build something fully themed and large scale, it could even be exciting. Imagine an area the size of the hedge maze at DLParis or the size of the whole DL Motorboat area, but built out as the entire 100 acre wood. You could have all the characters' houses. The tree around which Pooh and Piglet circled in the snow. The tree which Tigger was stuck in. And so on.

I'm sure it won't be quite that elaborate. But I prefer to wait and see something of it before I insist that a ride would be better. Besides, another roller coaster would just be one more thing to separate Walt from his kids (ie, the original idea behind Disneyland).

I don't dislike the Mount Goof idea on the creative merits - it's pretty creative, actually. But they don't use Goofy much anymore.

And as for calling WDW with an idea, that should be the last thing you should do. They would be forced by policy to therefore never build it, even if they were thinking the exact same thing on their own. They live in fear of lawsuits, and so will never use an idea if it's submitted from the outside.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

If they had a place to play Pooh Sticks, that would be great.

• Quality Assured

The Alpengeist term was just a referral to the inverted coaster style and theming, not the layout. Mount Goof/The Art of Skiing would be more inside of the mountain with maybe a few passes outside.

• Disney Prince

Anyone else here ever heard of the "Bald Mountain" villain-themed flume ride slated to go in the old 20k site?

• Quality Assured

No, but sounds interesting!

• Banned User

Ejo Captain Jack.

My idea for filling in this spot, is that they could just make a brand new land. I know it would be a thing a lot of you Disneyana fans would be against. Or maybe they could just extended tomorrow land a bit. I would say Rollercoaster, but TL already has one right now. If I had my way, I would do a rollercoaster. Another indoor rollercoaster, but would also have outdoor parts, and at night, when the ride goes by these outdoor parts, it'd make a liftoff noise and lights would flash. Infact, they should also gut out the current Space Mountain and make a new one!

The real Captain Jack! EJO!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    Anyone else here ever heard of the "Bald Mountain" villain-themed flume ride slated to go in the old 20k site?
    I like how Bald Mountain makes a "cameo" of sorts in Kingdom Hearts in Traverse Town.

• Disney Prince

Yeah bald Mountain woudl really round up Fantasyland's themeing (good side and bad side, kinda like the original plans for beastly kingdom)

• Disney Prince

Dragon tower would also look cool in fantasylnad

• Banned User

Maybe, if KH2 and 3 do good, and they finally decided to do a crossover movie, maybe they'll consider a KH themed area contecting between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. A direct connection, instead of that crud where you have to exit TL and walk all of that distance to FL. (even though it's like less than 50 feet or something?)

Since 20K closed, the space was long looked at as an opportunity for a new attraction. Rumor had it that a Little Mermaid attraction was being discussed, but obviously never materialized, at least not as LM & not as WDW. (Hmmm, wonder where the Saving Nemo overlay idea at DL came from?) Hence, the Pooh playground is probably just temporary. Besides the real estate is too valuable to leave it undeveloped. (Maybe high-rise resort hotel tower?) While a stand up coaster would be nice, it would be especially out of place in the MK since the MK caters to families. Hence, any ride developed would be designed to be enjoyed by the entire family. Although, Alien Encounter was a PG-13 attractions (quoting former WDW VP Bob what's his name back in the 90's) it apparently sucummed to the numerous complaints from Parents who didn't read the signs.

David H
    The sonic boom you just heard was from this email being sent
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack
    WDW's Magic Kingdom lacks the "charm" and "nostalgia" in its rides that Disneyland USA seems to have, excluding its more recent additions and the "New Tomorrowland." 20,000 Leagues was a ride with the Disneyland charm, and its completely gone now, even the lagoon has been paved over for a "Winnie the Pooh Playground."
    A "Winnie the Pooh Playground"! Are you kidding? That has zero nostalgia, zero creativeness, zero imagination, and zero charm. Its the perfect example of a crappy idea that can be easily found in any local park worldwide. I propose a new idea, and anyone else can back mine up, call up WDW, and propose their own idea on/because of this thread.
    This may sound crazy, but my proposal if for how a new roller coaster to fill in the now paved over, large vacant lagoon. Almost everyone knows the old Goofy cartoons (If I'm 15 and I know it, then a lot of other people must remember them) on the "Art of ...." Sine Disneyland has a Matterhorn, snow capped mountain, why can't WDW put in a new coaster themed to "The Art if Skiiing"
    Appearance wise, a similar Matterhorn look with a Blizzard Beach style theming. Ride would be a stand-up coaster (skiing look), with a loop or an BGW's Alpengeist inverted approach of a runaway Ski Lift. Throughout the ride you perform hills and turns similar to those in the animated short.
    The preshow could be the short itself! I don't see why this is not possible when $100 Million are being spent on Expedition Everest. Please reply and give you ideas and your opinions about filling the vacancy and about "The Art of Skiing/Mount Goof"

You're forgetting that the 20K site is in Fantasyland, not on the edge of it and Tommorrowland. That spot is taken by the Mad Tee party.

KH2?

David H
    The sonic boom you just heard was from this email being sent
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator
    Maybe, if KH2 and 3 do good, and they finally decided to do a crossover movie, maybe they'll consider a KH themed area contecting between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland. A direct connection, instead of that crud where you have to exit TL and walk all of that distance to FL. (even though it's like less than 50 feet or something?)

The Fire Mountain rumor went around for awhile back in the 90's. I rewrote it as Villain Mountain and posted it on my web site. I think a Villains Land within Fantasyland would be a great idea. The streets would look like streets in London with cobble stone paving and gas lamps. And you can always meet the Villains around the area, or a special meet-and-greet area. They could also add Cartoon Spin or one of the other Toon Town rides that never materialized to Mickey's Toon Town since that area backs up to the 20K lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast