• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

What does the future hold for WDW?

An interesting article appeared in the Orlando Sentinel today regarding the future of the WDW resort and their growth strategy. Since the company has shifted their focus overseas and creating growth in foreign parks- what does the future hold? Based on the article ( full text HERE ), do you think this will be an effective strategy? Is the resort headed in the right direction?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Hello there

Blog Entries
    I believe the strategy can work, as long as the re-invest into WDW, there is no need to continue building theme parks in Florida and over extending the Orlando area. But, they need to continue to upgrade the area. From reading the article, this is the approach that I got was what Al Weiss had in mind. They can bring the Disney experience around the world, although I believe they should limit that as well. If they continue to pop up "Disneylands" worldwide, they will diminish the uniqueness of the Disney experience and make it to general. They need to hold on to this, and therefore, they need to limit the expansion.

Frankly, the whole story left me feeling very iffy about the future of Disney parks. They seem so assured that kids (and they really don't care much if you're over 12) are only interested in new, fast, interactive technologies. I'm sure their consultants have been spewing that crap forth for years. ... First it was the MTV generation, followed by the GameBoy Generation ... what is it now, the Ipod Generation?

They seem to make an equation that goes something like this today's kids/adults+technology=against traditional Disney entertainment.

Funny how attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise etc ... are 35-50 years old, but delight new generations all the time. Seems to me it's the half-assed attempts at thrills RnRC, Test Track, Mission Space and incredibly cheap lame redos like Imagination or even trading the Country Bears in for a two-minute Pooh dark ride that fall flat with many kids of all ages.

And international expansion is one thing, having McDisneylands everywhere is a sure fire way to damage and water down the quality associated with Disney.

• Banned User

I am afraid the future does not look good for WDW.

• Banned User

If they could only return some of the lost magic of yrs ago to WDW (such as better cleanliness, elimination of FP, better "Traditions" training for newly hired CMs, upgrading of facilities and attractions and the likes, or even a better maintained property since to this day you can still see the destruction caused by last year's hurricanes) then to me, it would make WDW's future more appealing.

WDW is in real trouble. WDW management and WDI management are very out-of-touch. They think the response to the video game generation is to bring video games into the parks (and very little else). Disney has always been an escape from the things of the real world. Things like Innoventions and all those interective screens at the end of every Epcot attarction are just overload. Most people who can afford to take their families to Disney spend their work days looking at computer screens, and all their other forms of entertainment revolve around screens (movies, tv, computers). Disney should react tho this by making their environments MORE dimensional, not less. Interavtive can be good (Lucky, Buzz Lightyear, Turtle Talk). But they need to combine the interactivity with a dimensional emersive environment. Why don't they understand that?

• Banned User

I agree. Posibilities are endless in regards to technology and classic Disney rides. While at EXPO in Japan last month, I rode the "Nature Contact" ride in the Hitachi Pavillion, which is a ride that moves thru the building and takes us thru different sets (such as underwater, african savanah and the like) then you have to use virtual reality glasses that allow you to interact with virtual animals who appear to be roaming the sets you look into as you travel thru the building.. It was facinating and unlike I have ever seen at any Disney park.

Disney needs to invest in imaginative ideas like that if they are to be at the edge of theme park innovations, like they used to be for so many years.

Disney, more often than not nowadays, doesn't innovate. The company simply moves into something after it has already been shown to be successful. ... Sometimes with things like Go.com, the results are truly a disaster. But the idea that kids (and adults) have outgrown Disney entertainment is ABSURD, short-sighted consultant talking, and in no way reality. What's scary is that Disney execs actually believe that ... so away go the long immersive attractions, replaced by crap like Test Track.
    Last edited by WDW1974; 05-03-2005 at 09:41 PM. Reason: computer troubles