• Bending Unit

Thumbs up Trips Off-Property from WDW

Hello all,

Two more weeks and we're off!

Quick question from one of our party of five: we may want to split up for a day and do our own thing. Is it possible to book a trip to Kennedy Space Center with transport from your WDW hotel? Do any of you know of a reputable website / company who do this?

Similarly are there any shuttle buses / courtesy shuttles to shopping malls or factory outlets? For that matter, what are some great shopping places near WDW?

Thanks for any help. I'm getting really excited about going, desperately hoping for Living Seas soft openings while we're there!

• Lonestar Louisianian

Re: Trips Off-Property from WDW

While I cannot comment on the shuttle busses to Kennedy Space Center, I can point out that there is a TON of shopping to be had at Downtown Disney which you can get to via the free bus transportation that Disney provides to onsite guests. I could spend a whole day at Downtown Disney and leave penniless and poor, but ooooh sooo happy!

• World Traveler

It might be cheaper to rent a car for a day or two. It's easy to drive to Kennedy Space Center and the malls near WDW.

Renting a car also gives you flexibility to go where and when you want.

Rent a car, that's what we did.

Just call the rental car place that's by the entrance to the Magic Kindom the night before and they'll send a shuttle to pick you up and take you to the Car Care Center. They'll also drop you off once you return the car.

KSC was a great day trip! Bring some $1 bills though as there are several toll booths. Took about an hour to drive there from WDW.

• Bending Unit

Hey, thanks for the tips guys (especially the $1 bills)!

We've got a rental car but just the one, so I was wondering if there were 'carless' day trips in case we wanted to split up as a group.

Downtown Disney shopping was already on the cards. I haven't been properly in years, but I know it's grown considerably. However, it's not quite a factory outlet type of place.

Sounds like going to a factory outlet type of place or large shopping mall would be best done, again, in a car. Boy are we all going to be sick of each other by the end of this vacation!

The Premium Outlets off of I-4 are nice, near Dixie Stampede, and you may be able to get a cab there for not too much money. Mall at Millenia is defintiely the upscale shopping mall experience, up I-4 on the way to Universal. It has some nice chain restaurants glued to its side (Cheesecake Factory and the like) and a good food court inside.

http://www.mallatmillenia.com/html/

If you have a car and really want to get "local", I'd recommed the Winter Park Farmers Market. Your family could conceivably split up for a couple hours and explore Winter Park (one of the few areas of Orlando that is actually walkable).

http://cityguide.aol.com/orlando/ent...et/v-102903153

Downtown Orlando around Lake Eola is nice as well. You can walk around the lake and visit local shops and restaurants.

• Bending Unit

Thanks Lafitte, I'm going to check those out! The farmer's market sounds really good.

• MiceAge Columnist

I've got a list of such daytrips on a different site: http://www.ultimateorlando.com/otherattractions

It's not comprehensive, but does point to the official home pages in most cases, so you can learn how to get there. I agree with the others so far: you need a car.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez View Post
    Hello all,

Two more weeks and we're off!

Quick question from one of our party of five: we may want to split up for a day and do our own thing. Is it possible to book a trip to Kennedy Space Center with transport from your WDW hotel? Do any of you know of a reputable website / company who do this?

Similarly are there any shuttle buses / courtesy shuttles to shopping malls or factory outlets? For that matter, what are some great shopping places near WDW?

Thanks for any help. I'm getting really excited about going, desperately hoping for Living Seas soft openings while we're there!
    We drove to the Kennedy Space Center from WDW once (just a side note - the food is pretty bad there.) You might want to get tickets ahead of time, depending on what type of tour you are interested in.

I think you're a little too early for Living Seas soft opening.....one can always dream though.

Heading to International drive for a night out is fun. I always set aside some time to see the sight's (stange mini-malls, outlets, go-carts, food courts...etc.) Sure, it is not themed, but it is fun. It reminds me of some sort of 'concrete boardwalk' without the water. And I do admit to going to gatorland (or was it gatorworld?), and though one may not be able to spend a day there, I enjoyed it for what it was.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet Schmalzbach View Post
    Heading to International drive for a night out is fun. I always set aside some time to see the sight's (stange mini-malls, outlets, go-carts, food courts...etc.) Sure, it is not themed, but it is fun. It reminds me of some sort of 'concrete boardwalk' without the water. And I do admit to going to gatorland (or was it gatorworld?), and though one may not be able to spend a day there, I enjoyed it for what it was.

To be honest, I-Drive scares me. Lots of British and crazy drivers! (I wonder if that is anyway linked? ) Kidding!

I would add my name to the rental car list as well. Have fun on your trip. Take lots of pictures.

• Bending Unit

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    I would add my name to the rental car list as well. Have fun on your trip. Take lots of pictures.
    Nah. I'm leaving the camera at home.

As for the Living Seas, DisneyPrincess4590, I do indeed pray to the God of Soft-Openings. I'll be sure to insist we drop by on the very last minute of the very last day, with a crowbar if needs be.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    To be honest, I-Drive scares me.
    I cannot stomach the traffic on I-drive unless it's broad daylight and all the cars are parking at MK and Epcot. That street ranks up there with Las Vegas Blvd (the Strip). REALLY slow. Fortunately there's the equivalent to Paradise Road around I-drive too (for you non-Vegas-literate, that means a quicker way around the traffic)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather