Armchair Imagineering: Original Asian Resort at Animal Kingdom Area

I was reading over at widenyourworld.com about three original resorts that never got built: Asian, Venetian, and Persian. While the Venetian and Persian were never mentioned after the opening ceremonies. the Asian was actually alot farther ahead. The Asian Resort was to be built where the Grand Floridian Resort is now. Floridian Way was originally named Asian Way. There were reports that the Asian was ready to start in 1973 but with the energy crisis, it never got built.

So my question to ponder is this: Do you think it would be feasible for Disney to create the Asian Resort concept again, but this time near the Animal Kingdom Resort area. I think it would be a great complement to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. With Joe Rohde working on the Animal Kingdom and the fantastic job he did with Expedition Everest, a new table service restaurant being built in Asia, I think having this resort would help move the Animal Kingdom up another level.

Is WDW in need of accomodations? Can't answer that one. With the only resort in the works right now is the completion of the Pop Century Resort, I would think that Disney should consider another resort with a possible DVC attached. This would help bring more guests over to that area and hopefully provide Disney with more reasons to make Disney's Animal Kingdom a complete full day/night park (i.e., adding Beastly Kindgomme).

So what do you all think? Am I crazy or would this be a workable plan. I would love to see more of the Asian culture in the parks and at a resort. Actually I find the Persian Resort a fascinating idea also. I think that is why the Polynesian Resort is so popular, because it takes you a place where most can only dream of going to in their lifetime.

• Self Congratulative

Re: Armchair Imagineering: Original Asian Resort at Animal Kingdom Area

Right now I think it is crazy. I mean c'mon? Who likes Asia anyway??

I think a better DVC attached resort would be "Disney's Ol' South Compton Resort and Spa."

Seriously though, Disney has so many things on their plate right now, and DVC is still on the leading edge of it's initial mass marketing push. It's pretty much a new concept at the new rate and market they're trying to reach. Personally I think they'd be better off building the Contemporary DVC suites first and then seeing how well people continue to buy into DVC.

I'm not 100% sure about placing it near Animal Kingdom, but would LOVE to see the Asian Resort finally built. From the artwork, it looked wonderful. (Of course they would dramatically downsize the scope in today's dollars). Like the Polynesian and Universal's Royal Pacific Resort, they do take you to a place you most likely will never see. But right now, I don't see the need for another Deluxe on WDW property for the foreseeable future.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    Right now I think it is crazy. I mean c'mon? Who likes Asia anyway??
    Watch it. You might insult some of the members here.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Self Congratulative

I think most of them will know that I am joking. Like .2% of my posts are ever serious or "constructive."

I actually love Asia.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    I think most of them will know that I am joking. Like .2% of my posts are ever serious or "constructive."

I actually love Asia.
    Good to know.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~