My view on LMA stunt show at WDW

I recently saw a video of the whole Lights! Motor! Action! stunt show and it brought back memories of me seeing it 2 times in 2005.

My impression is: Wow, what a waste of money and time. They built this huge set and made all of it static except for the 3 moving jump platforms, fire effects and motorcycle store facade! As for the "stunts", they don't really do much and keep on repeating the same 2-3 things, so it gets repetitive. They also proceed to waste so much time between each stunt and the "BIG" stunt at the end is not presented well at all. I mean, come on! If there's one scene you got to build, its that one! the lack of any story whatsoever is terrible too.

They should have paid the rights to the James Bond franchise... now that would have been a good start. If that's impossible, then remove all the fake filming stuff and instead, put in a real story, with characters, etc. Also, let the drivers and motorcycle riders show their stuff. I'm sure they can do better than the limited stuff they're allowed to do.

Look at Six Flags and the "Batman vs. Catwoman: Catfight" stunt show they did for 2 years at Six Flags Great Adventure. Smaller arena, only 6 performers, 2-3 technicians, small budget and yet... the result was pretty good and impressive! They had real stunts, stunning effects and a story to go with it. Here's a video of the show on youtube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eNxREdvbj...20stunt%20show

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by SpaceMTFan; 09-02-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: mispelled title

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: My view on LMA stunt show at WDW

I agree. I saw this once when it premiered last year, and have not seen it since. Boring. Why couldn't we have gotten the Great Muppet Movie Ride or something that was worth seeing more than once instead of this lump of boredom?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• I was deleted.

Too many guests like big and flashy. Most guests will forget it by the time they come back in five years or missed it with only three show times/day on their last visit so will want to see it. I'm afraid it will take a while for this show's attendence to slow down, especially with so many guests asking about it and with the number who call it: "Car crashing show thing," etc.

I agree, it was good the first time but after that... I'd rather watch Star Tours over and over. Less walking, no rain and free AC!

Blog Entries

I agree! We saw it on our last trip and will probably not watch it again. There was way too much downtime and I do not see it playing over and over to repeat audiences!

Blog Entries

While I agree that a James Bond Stunt show would have been better, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. It's not the best show on the planet but I was impressed when I saw it. Disney isn't as concerned about those of us who come into the parks over and over and get bored after seeing it 2 times. The majority of the guests will only come to the parks once every 5 years. To those guests this show works well. I personally wish that it wasn't that way, but that's the guest they cater to.

That said, I don't think the show is horrible. It's a little long and could have benefited from a better story. I'd rather see them ditch the filming portion and just make it a story show. Maybe use the video screens to tell the story and then have the stunts get played out live for us.

• Just your average Joe.

Blog Entries

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here. But I figure the point of the show, ISN'T to show a live version of a movie. It's to teach people how some of the stunts you see in action movies are done. That being the case, you really don't needs a real "story" at all. Just enough to set up the shot.

Did I enjoy it? Yeah, it was ok.
    Would I recommend a AP holder go see it every time they go to the park? No of course not.
    Would I see it again? Depending on how long it is between park visits, yeah, just to see what, if anything, is different.

But you know, the Indy stunt show was the same way. It was ok once, but It's not something I'm gonna visit over and over again.

• Former Epcot CM

Something works. It's a runaway hit in Paris, and it certainly packs in the numbers in Florida.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

It doesn't pack the numbers you think.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Something works. It's a runaway hit in Paris, and it certainly packs in the numbers in Florida.
    Does it count if it packs them in unexpectedly for more boredom than the original Universe of Energy?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Best joke of the day right there. Kudos!

• Banned User

Hey, at least they fixed the bugs... and wasting of time between numbers... when summer, mom (cmash95), katie (eeyore something), and I saw it in august, between millionare shows, they ended a stunt and began set up imediate for next stunt.... rather than wait, then move 5 mins later... lol

it seemed to move faster and better done, of course car problems can always happen....

(first show I saw shortly after ir premiered didn't have the grande finale)

• a wind to shake the stars

I thought it was just okay. I prefer straight stunt shows without all the "This is how we do it behind the scenes," but I guess that's not how they do it at MGM.

The show itself had some interesting parts, and it was interesting to learn how they did some of the stunts after the fact, but the downtime was kind of a bummer, and the final stunt appears out of nowhere without any real buildup or warning, so I kind of missed it.

It needs more shade on the walk to the grandstands and a shorter wait time in the area below the seats, gets very hot in the summer down there.

What got to me the most was the high pitched WHINE from the motorcycle engine powered cars. I think if the cars were ones that were actually on the streets here in the US, the show would have a little more of a follwing with the car loving public here in the US. Was like a GO cart race at the state fair to me!

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I thought it was just okay. I prefer straight stunt shows without all the "This is how we do it behind the scenes," but I guess that's not how they do it at MGM.
    I'm with you. I've complained numerous times over the years in my articles about the Disney studios park feeling the need to "expose" Hollywood. It destroys the escapism that is the usual Disney hallmark, and turns it into something postmodern. Sigh. This is one element of Universal's lead I wish Disney had not followed.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

I'm with you on the cars "whine"! A small theme park in Italy "borrowed" Disney's concept of a car stunt show and got it right! There, they got authentic sports cars to do the show. They also add to the show every year. The previous finale was an helicopter crash and this year, they figured it wasn't impressive enough, so they got a TANK in it!