Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAL Mickey

• Now I'm driving the bus!

PAL Mickey

What is it and is it worth the money? Thanks all.
    If I can't be a good roll model at least let me be a bad example.

• golly gawrrsh

Re: PAL Mickey

Its a talking mickey doll - i can't remember exactly how much we paid - $50 - 60 i think, Worth it - hummmm - not really.

it's a very expensive doll.

it tells you facts about the parks your in, plays trivia games with you and tells you when the lines are low at this or that ride plus that a show is about to start.

we found it more annoying then helpful - every 5 minutes the stupid thing was giggling and when we pushed the button it was telling us the same 8-10 trivia quiz.

eventually we stopped turning it on.

at one point when we entered MGM one evening the thing went off for almost 8 minutes - this was starting, the line for that was short, trivia after trivia question and then the rotation started all over again

maybe if our daughter was old enough to play with him it wouldn't have bugged us but when your pushing a full and pretty big stroller, trying to get into the park and the dumb thing keeps going off it becomes a pain.

others might find it worth it but right now its sitting at the bottom of our closet collecting dust. next time we go down we'll bring it and see if it still works.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I absolutely love mine. I got him when I went with a couple close friends to WDW back in '03. Since they were in love and joined at the hip, I got stuck riding alone most of the time, so I kept my Pal Mickey with me. Some of the rides have "trigger points" for him - he actually "shivered" during the Haunted Mansion ballroom scene, and quietly said something about all the ghosts.

• Delawarean Girl

I love My PAL Mickey too. I got one of the org. ones. I only bought him on one of my very last days at WDW and I nevered took him back to WDW. I keep thinking he would just be too much of a handful and I would be afraid that I forget him or loose him.

I do love him. I love his jokes and I think it's sweet that tell me that he's glad to have a friend like me. I also; love to play games with him too.

Mine is a little outdated with the times now;though. He still calls that place at EPCOT Ice Station Cool ; when it's now Cool Club.

I love my Pal Mickey. He's been on every trip since we got him! We even got a DVC Member t-shirt for him for free last year.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I heard there wer rumors of them coming out with a Goofy version. I'd consider getting one if they did as Goof is my 2nd fave character.

However if they made a Tigger one.... all bets would be off.

• Yes?

Ours has been definitely worth the money. We bought ours in Feb 2004 for our daughter on her first trip to the MK. He goes back with us every time! My daughter still plays with hers at home since he still talks and tells her jokes. So, $60 for a toy that has been played with continuously for 1 1/2 years...Yeah it's worth it. And I didn't know about the HM trigger since we don't ride it that often. Going to have to try that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Disneyholic

I own one of the origional frst run Pal Mickeys and we bring him back every time we go, and you really should take him back with you every time! Every time you enter the parks via the turnstiles he downloads the latest programming so you get some new jokes, event (parade, firworks, shows) times, and updates to the triva games. Mine only has a belt clip but I think the new ones have a shoulder strap so you probaly will not loose him too easily, I keep mine on te front strap of my camel pack. (yeah sorry too cheap to pay $2 for a bottle of water folks, I'm used to biking with it anyway)

My daughter loves to play with him when we are not at the parks too so we have gotten our $60 out of it.

One word of warning: Pal Mickey is also the good Pal of the batery manufacturers, make sure you turn him off when you leave the parks and are not playing with him. For some reason he seems to drain his batteries faster on property, maybee he's desperately trying to pickup the park signals still but for whatever reason fresh batteries, overnight at the Wilderness lodge and next day he's not working or going bonkers.

Tip: Pack a small philips screwdriver so you can swap out his batteries without having to buy them at the park where they are of course premium priced for your convience.
    Last edited by Jerren; 09-08-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Thanks for all the info. I think I will go ahead and get one for my fiance. I know she will love it but l needed some more info first.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I think I will go ahead and get one for my fiance. I know she will love it but l needed some more info first.
    I enjoy playing with those dolls. While I don't have one (yet) myself I really do like him. Mickey's software keeps getting upgraded too so that the newer ones say more, buzz when there is more to say and usually only say trivia now when you prompt him too - or at least that was my experience. I really enjoyed playing with Pal Mickey at Disneyland and DCA as he entertained me with trivia and games in line for attractions when I was by myself and guests had NO idea what the heck he was!

• Banned User

I fond the whole concept of Pal Mickey to be idiotic. Just having to drag out a stuffed doll all over the park just to get info you can read off your daily schedule is silly. No wonder their sales have been so bad, to the point you can get them deeply discounted at some of Disney's outlet mall stores around the state.

• I met Walt Disney!

My daughter, who was 9 at the time, loved Pal Mickey. My teenage son got a kick out of it too. I wish there were more jokes programmed in, though. He cycles through them all fairly quickly on a four-day WDW trip.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I really enjoyed playing with Pal Mickey at Disneyland and DCA
    Does it work in both Disneyland and Disneyworld? Or are there seperate ones for both resorts? Thanks.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Every time you enter the parks via the turnstiles he downloads the latest programming so you get some new jokes, event (parade, firworks, shows) times, and updates to the triva games.
    Pal Mickey actually does not get any updates when you enter the parks. He is pre-programed with a ton of sayings, but when you enter into the parks it is reset for that park. His nose is an IR sensor so as you are walking the parks you might hit a sensor that triggers a trivia or just some saying. When a wait time is short they can send out a alert to all the Pal Mickeys for him to say something about it and the same happens with the parades.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I fond the whole concept of Pal Mickey to be idiotic. Just having to drag out a stuffed doll all over the park just to get info you can read off your daily schedule is silly. No wonder their sales have been so bad, to the point you can get them deeply discounted at some of Disney's outlet mall stores around the state.
    Last time I was in the outlets they are the old out of date Pal Mickeys. They have come out with 2 versions, the first was just a regular dressed mickey that would have a clip to wear on your persons. The second one had a lanyard to wear, a higher volume so you could hear him better and added games, sayings, and a tux outfit to fit with the 50th.

Pal Mickey is a great little thing to have. I have both the versions and would pry buy a third. He is cute, fun, and a great way to pass the time in the parks.

Also no he does not work in DL or DCA....BPF just was having fun with him in those parks. The games and giggles you can trigger just by pressing on his "tummy" and can also play at home.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Has anyone tried to reverse engineer the IR messages that Pal Mickey recieves? I'd be interested in that.
    -Monorail Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast