• Bending Unit

Cool Checking-Up on Checking-In

Well, four more days till we're off!

I was wondering if any of you had any final tips, comments, notes for checking-in.

Have you ever got that great room by asking for... ? Do you always check that... ?

For example, I remember reading somewhere to always ask if room grades are available for purchase. Has that ever worked for you?

I also know there's a daily sheet with information at most resorts, what should I ask for? Oh, and what not to put up with, room wise -- have you ever asked to move rooms?

We'll be at Pop Century and Port Orleans French Quarter, in case it matters.

Thanks! Got my camera packed for a tonne of photos...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Checking-Up on Checking-In

Ask for a ground floor room if possible. Even though there is elevators there is nothing worse than walking more than you have to after a LONG day at the parks.

Also, at the french quarter if you can get a corner room, you get two windows.

• Self Congratulative

Part of the discussion we've been having recently in another thread is if the value resorts are more hassle when there is a problem.

It is easy to change rooms in most resorts, however, in the value resorts there isn't any promises that the cast members will be polite about it.

I definitely think Pop Century is a notch above the All-Stars though.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Taggart View Post
    Part of the discussion we've been having recently in another thread is if the value resorts are more hassle when there is a problem.

It is easy to change rooms in most resorts, however, in the value resorts there isn't any promises that the cast members will be polite about it.

I definitely think Pop Century is a notch above the All-Stars though.

I agree.

Blog Entries

We are leaving on Saturday for a week at Wilderness Lodge.

Although I agree that it may be nice to stay on the ground floor, when we were at POFQ last year we were on the third floor and the elevators were fast and we normally were the only people on them!

Have a great time! Are you doing the free dining plan? I have been reading that the parks are virtually empty and it looks like the weather is going to be great!

• Former CM

On our second trip to WDW my wife and I and our friends were supposed to stay at All Star Music. WHen we got to our room they were not accectable. They smelled like they were smoking rooms when they weren't. They even had the doors open and fans blowing the air out. We all went back and asked for different rooms. We double checked that we were getting king size beds and we were told that we were for the new rooms. When we got to those rooms they both had 2 double beds. We then went back and told them of our new problem. They then ended up moving us to All Star Sports and we got 2 ground floor rooms with king size beds. We let our friend pick which room they wanted (They got one right in front of the football field) and we took the second room (right around the corner facing trees and very quiet). We were also given free meals for that evening since we had so many room issues. What was nice though is that everyone was polite and helpful even though we were staying at a value resort.

• Pilot EdForceOne

goto disboards.com for the most comprehensive userbase on actual travel to WDW. tons of info and experiences there.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by erick13 View Post
    On our second trip to WDW my wife and I and our friends were supposed to stay at All Star Music. WHen we got to our room they were not accectable. They smelled like they were smoking rooms when they weren't. They even had the doors open and fans blowing the air out. We all went back and asked for different rooms. We double checked that we were getting king size beds and we were told that we were for the new rooms. When we got to those rooms they both had 2 double beds. We then went back and told them of our new problem. They then ended up moving us to All Star Sports and we got 2 ground floor rooms with king size beds. We let our friend pick which room they wanted (They got one right in front of the football field) and we took the second room (right around the corner facing trees and very quiet). We were also given free meals for that evening since we had so many room issues. What was nice though is that everyone was polite and helpful even though we were staying at a value resort.
    See, you can have good experiences with the All Star Resorts. I must just depend on the time you are visiting, the length of your stay, and the CM that greets you/helps you.

Wishing you the best of luck and fun with all of your travels!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Ask for a ground floor room if possible. Even though there is elevators there is nothing worse than walking more than you have to after a LONG day at the parks.

Also, at the french quarter if you can get a corner room, you get two windows.
    Personally, I'd request to get anything BUT a ground floor room. WHY?

Well, I think the upper floors are quieter and more private. Look at it this way. In the Values and Moderates, the balconies and pathways are exterior corridors. Everyone's door and window(s) opens onto either a ground floor walkway or a corridor.

EVERYONE who stays at the resort has to do at least some walking on the ground floor walkways, which means that 100% of the people staying there are going to use some ground floor walkways at least sometimes.

If you're staying on, say, the 2nd floor at POFQ, only about 33% of guests could have any possible reason to walk by your room. Same with the 3rd floor, 33%. Fewer people walking by equals less chance of disruptive noise, and more opportunity for privacy.

It's a small difference, I realize that ... but it makes a difference to me. By contrast, walking up some steps even while carrying a 5 year old and 2.5 year old last year didn't bother me a bit.

If you are staying there, some parks open early on certain days. Get there early and go on the rides they have.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Personally, I'd request to get anything BUT a ground floor room...
    I agree with CleveRocks, to his point, and also the fact the creepy crawlies are less apt to be joining you in a room off the ground floor (can't help it, they freak me out). Plus, the view is usually better. See?

Not really reosrt related, but if you're going to be finishing out your day at Disney-MGM Studios, before you leave stop by 'Beverly Sunset Sweet Spells' and grab something yummy to eat on your way back to the resort, I mean, just look at all the awesome goodies:

Have fun!

• Bending Unit

Quote Originally Posted by TheBacklot View Post
    I agree with CleveRocks, to his point, and also the fact the creepy crawlies are less apt to be joining you in a room off the ground floor (can't help it, they freak me out). Plus, the view is usually better. See?
    Yes, that does look better. It'll look even better in real life! We'll be flying over to Orlando tomorrow, so it'll be something to debate. Things like: how high do mosquito's fly, the danger of walking stairs and is the quality of housekeeping inversely proportional to the floor level (assuming rooms are serviced from the ground floor up).

Those bits and pieces look yummy. I've already grabbed the dining plan list of snacks off disboards (spelling?), maybe they are snack-creditable?

So: to sum up... Ask for the floor you'd prefer, a corner room if in POFQ, change rooms if you're unhappy for whatever reason.

Excellent.