Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Think Epcot's Communicore is Ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Evoulie View Post
    What Be A Communicore?
    long long time ago, when epcot was new through right before 1994, communicore was an area where sponsors of the park could have displays for thigns they do... it was to showcase future items of theres.. as well as other sponsors...

eventually they lost this space and changed everything over to the current innoventions at Epcot...

the older building had more natureal light, and such... currently most of the windows are covered up or removed... (a dark future?)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You know what I miss the most? The acrylic structures that used to point upwards in the center of the fountain out front by Spaceship Earth. I loved how they had the EPCOT Center logo on them and how the acrylic glass changed colors at night.
    I agree 100% Miss the way that fountain used to look. The only thing I can think of that I miss more in the original EPCOT is the fountain in the middle of Sunshine Seasons Food Fair at the Land, back when the Land was a peaceful, calming pavilion.

Oh, and World of Motion, and Horizons, and....
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

I miss the Hydrolators...

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84 View Post
    I miss the Hydrolators...
    Me too...

Hey! I've read parts of it... but anyone notice how our Spookybear's shirts are linked?

It's too bad that the only Epcot... err, rather, Ep-ity-cot that I know is the one that exisits now. Forgive me?

• Disneyholic

Hmm any way they could add the signs but keep the shade? Sorry but as a red head with a family of red heads we really need some shade now and then. Look around epcot on a quiet hot day, your see pple standing under the monorail track shadows trying to get shade.... Sorry but I have to agree with Mickey mania on this one.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

There is a way to add shade to a place and not ruin its design. All it takes is a little precedent analysis.

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Me too...

Hey! I've read parts of it... but anyone notice how our Spookybear's shirts are linked?

It's too bad that the only Epcot... err, rather, Ep-ity-cot that I know is the one that exisits now. Forgive me?
    Are you talking about my shirts?! Thanks for the plug! I was so surprised when they got a permanent link at the Epcot Central blog. I sent her an e-mail telling her how much I loved her blog and that I even made some Epcot shirts and she liked them so much that she wrote a blog about them !

Anyways, I too dislike how Communicore looks now. I understand the need for shade, but the could of at least tried to make it look like it belongs. I miss most of what Epcot used to be. Epcot was to be unique.

• If We Can Dream It...

I don't care for the tent structure but, for some reason, I like the kinetic statues/sculptures(?). I really don't know why, they just seem to make you relaxed and excited at the same time. I wish they would find somewhere else for the wait time board, it is helpful, but horribly distracting. Pin Central needs to die soon, if you get what I mean.
    - Horizonsfan

Personally I loved the pre-1994 Communicore. As far as I am concerned they could have still done what they did inside the buildings and not destroyed the exteriors the way they have. The original communicore look was timeless and classy and a positive look at the future, and the architecture, even today would still be futuristic. The garish colors of today and the all the canvas tenting and twirly doo dads make the place look like a cheap carnival.

Another thing I miss is the Centorium, which was a much nicer shopping experience than MouseGear. MouseGear is yet another example of the Wal-Martification of Disney World. It's just another extension of The World of Disney shop in Downtown Disney. It used to be fun shopping at the various theme parks, but now every shop has the same thing in them, there is very little or nothing at all unique to not only each park, but the shops themselves. The only saving grace for Epcot are the shops in World Showcase, and even those are being taken over by the same mentality that every shop must have the same items as World of Disney.

It's no wonder that the shops are literally empty during the day. Why go in any of them when everyone of them is selling the same thing.

I was just looking at some pictures I took at Epcot pre 1994 and realized how much nicer it looked compared to todays incarnation. I also miss that acrylic statue that was at the entrance. That was very futuristic, what's there now looks like an unfinished fountain because it looks like something belongs there, or something used to be there, and that's because the 3 acrylic pillars used to be there.

The only thing that can be said about the current entrace plaza is that it can provide a glimpse of what the mausoleum of the future will be like. Not only will your body be cremated, but the ashes pulversized into a fine dust that can fit in a 2 inch square space and your picture engraved on a sheet of metal so people can remember you by. Just imagine how many people can be interred in a mausoleum the size of the Epcot Entrance Plaza.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    There is a way to add shade to a place and not ruin its design. All it takes is a little precedent analysis.
    MK and DL achieve it with tall trees, which won't work in a place with such expanses of bare concrete. DAK also uses a lot of vegetation. Epcot's problems won't be fixed without some sort of visible cover and MGM would have to plant a bunch of palm trees everywhere or something, which is what they tried to do at DCA since it's had this problem too.

• Vehicle rotating backward

PS: Some reference of what I'm talking about, from old promotional video

Keep in mind I want the wand to come down as much as anybody, but I'd hate to be standing out there in the summer. It was uncomfortable at times in Feburary (during the days that weren't super-cold anyway)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    MK and DL achieve it with tall trees, which won't work in a place with such expanses of bare concrete. DAK also uses a lot of vegetation. Epcot's problems won't be fixed without some sort of visible cover and MGM would have to plant a bunch of palm trees everywhere or something, which is what they tried to do at DCA since it's had this problem too.
    I never said don't use something visible, I said it would take some precedent analysis. Precedent analysis is when an architect sits down, studies what is there and how it works, and then develops something new based on those studies. That clearly did not take place at Epcot.

I actually find the entrance to EPCOT depressing. There's too much dead/wasted space at the front.

The "tombstones" look cheap, tacky and money-grubbing.

The rides are fine but the stores offer nothing new or special - same old same old- and most of the exhibits are no longer enlightening or newsworthy.

I can't remember the last time I heard bagpipers in the World Show Place. Ah yes- budget restraints again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12