Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Pirate Princess

Thanks for all the great advice so far you guys--keep it up! I'm taking notes...

• e komo mai

Go during October or November.

Drink lots of water. Don't get dehydrated.

Take lots of breaks.

Stay in a hotel close to the park, because everything there is so dang far away from each other.

Sunscreen.

Big floppy hat.

Carry a bottle of water with you.

• Social Imagineer

My big tip is to get yourself a time machine, and set the dial to any year between 1984 and 1992 - so that you can visit DisneyWorld's best-ever theme park, EPCOT CENTER.

(sniffle, snif, snif)

• -Going Retro-

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    My big tip is to get yourself a time machine, and set the dial to any year between 1984 and 1992 - so that you can visit DisneyWorld's best-ever theme park, EPCOT CENTER.

(sniffle, snif, snif)
    Oh Ism, if only it was that easy! I would have gone back a long time ago to tell myself bright green and yellow "cross color" pants were not in as I had thought.

• Pirate Princess

I've been reading that Aug. is like THE worst time to be at the world for weather/crowd reasons. Eeeek! Not a good setting for a romantic first-time trip.

Would you all suggest we postpone the honeymoon till Sept or Oct? (The wedding will be Aug. 12.)

• They wanna know, HO!

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLeMeRmAiD
    I've been reading that Aug. is like THE worst time to be at the world for weather/crowd reasons. Eeeek! Not a good setting for a romantic first-time trip.

Would you all suggest we postpone the honeymoon till Sept or Oct? (The wedding will be Aug. 12.)
    October would be a great time, I've gone in August and it isn't that bad, but for a first time trip, go with October. Plus, if you go late October, you'll run into the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot!
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by LiTtLeMeRmAiD

If it were my honeymoon, I'd postpone it until Oct. August for us was 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity and no wind. We had heatstroke at the Magic Kingdom and called off a half day of Epcot to go take a nap back at the hotel because of the crowds and the heat.
    Not to mention, the crowds in Aug are insane. Lots of people in those adult go kart things for the handicapable and tons of strollers. Very crowded and packed.

But with this all being said, we were determined to have a good time and we did. No matter what time of year you go, if you want to have a blast, you will.

• Pirate Princess

Are there official dates for this year's Food & Wine Festival? What should I know about this event?

If we go in Oct. the weather and crowds sound much better. Are there seasonal changes in the parks at this time that I should be aware of?

• Walt Disney Disciple

# of Days in October?

This is a great thread... I was going to post something along these lines.

We too are DLR vets who go every year. We're thinking of going to WDW in Oct. '06 after Everest opens and our two year old grows up a little (hopefully at least 40" tall).

We're from Calif. so if we're gonna go we're gonna want to see most everything. If we went late Oct / early Nov. how many days for each park would y'all recommend. We're probably not interested in the water parks, not are we real big on the other "recreational" activities such as golf, beaching, parasailing, etc.

I was working on this hypothesis, which adds up to 7 full days:

AK - 1 day (shorter)
    MGM - 1 day (longer)
    Epocot - 2 days
    MK - 2 days
    Downtown Disney - 1 day (or, two half-days)

Does that sound like too little? Adding even another day would help a lot?

Any input is certainly appreciated.
    Kevin Crossman
    Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdo
    AK - 1 day (shorter)
    MGM - 1 day (longer)
    Epocot - 2 days
    MK - 2 days
    Downtown Disney - 1 day (or, two half-days)

Does that sound like too little? Adding even another day would help a lot?

Any input is certainly appreciated.
    For Animal Kingdom, you can do that easily in a half day. A lot of people start out there, and then head either for another park or Downtown Disney (or back to the hotel for naptime and/or a nice dinner.) What you could do is use the remainder of your day to see one of the nighttime entertainments at the parks (Illuminations, SpectroMagic/Wishes, Fantasmic) so that way you won't have to worry about seeing those on the days you spend at the parks. And you can take advantage of the time to get on rides while lines are short! This is one of my favorite strategies.

As for the number of days you're going... it doesn't matter how much time you're there... you'll never have enough time to do it all!

• What have I done?

SoCal Families first WDW trip!

My family and I are taking a trip to WDW Resort in August... we have family there and we know about the weather. What we dont know is exactly what we are getting ourselves into. We have a package selected to where each day we can do a park and we will be staying at the Carribean Beach Resort. So I guess any info will be appreciated!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman

(sniffle, snif, snif)
    Wow, It sounds Like I missed alot. Incredible. Is there a site of Yestetyear for WDW? any response would be appreciated.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Hi to fellow Cali people

To all the "Left Coasters" let me say HI! Cali native here up until 2002 when I moved to GA.....Long story, Anyway. Form what I have read here ther is some very good tips. I might cover what someone else covered, sorry If I do just a lot to read

I went to DL EVERY year from age 3 to 32. So I know the park and area you are comming from. I have been to WDW over 15 times in the last 2.5 years from 2 day trips to 8 day vacations and I am an PAP holder so I know what you are comming to.

Be prepared to be busy know matter how long you come for. There is so much to do that you just can't help it. WDW is big ,49 Square miles or roughly the size of SF. So getting from one park to another can be time consuming. Not a short walk from one to the other. The water parks are awesome and a must do if you do visit in the HUMID times of year. which to you guys is all year but Nov to May. But if you know it is going to be hot and prepare for it. it is not that bad. It WILL rain almost everyday during the late summer, but only for a hour or two and usually after 3 in the afternoon. It rains out here a-lot. Not like Cali where you might not see rain from April to Dec.

If you are here for less than 7 days I would highly recomend staying on property. The monorail hotels are nice but the most expensive. There is bus service from all the resorts and is pretty good for the most part. Really don't need a car on property, but it does save time ,and if you stay on property, your parking is free at all the parks during your stay. $7 or $8 a day I think to park. All the Disney hotels are themed. Very cool if you like a certain theme. Travel from AKL to MK on bus is about 15 min, not counting the wait time, up to 20 min if you just missed a bus.

As far as the parks go they are all pretty big. You can use your normal game plan for the MK, as DL , but remember no Indy, Matterhorn ,Toontown and Pirates is lacking. Splash is better in MK, IMHO because seems slower and story is told better. Park is bigger and set up a little different so allow for extra time in park.

MGM is a cool park RNRC is great, and so is TOT. A must see. Fantasmic in DL is better with Columbia and Mark Twain, but the seating in Fla is TONS better. It has its own amphitheater. VERY COOL! Like DL you need to line up
    early for seats. Some Restaurants on property have priority seating for the shows. I have never done it, but seems like a good Idea.

AK is very cool but like stated earlier a 1/2 day park. But Getting better with Everest next year. The Dino area is kinda DCA' ish in rides and theme.

Epcot is my Fav. relaxing and a lot of cool stuff to see in the World Showcase. This is the Biggest park, so prepare for alot of walking here.

The water parks are great! Typhoon lagoon is fun and realxing if time permits. Our daugter has been going there since she was two, and loves it! As long as your child likes water. They will love playing in the water and they have alot for the very young to keep themselves busy. They are not WET N WILD.

If you stay off property allow for travel and parking in your schedules. A car is needed if staying off property. There is a lot of stuff to do right out side the property and about every fast food you can think of, except In&Out! I am still in therapy for that! There are Mc Donalds on property near the All Stars resorts and DownTown DIsney. It is a drive from off property once you get on property to the parks. That is what is awesome! The out side world is pretty much hidden and you are knee deep in the Magic.

The Airport is not to far, but the road signs here SUCK! they go by numbers (EXIT 178A not BALL RD) and do not help you unless you are looking for the next exit. Many toll roads so bring money in the car. Do not look for signs which tell you how far from the airport to Kissimee or WDW, or even which exist to take on your way. They Don't exist. The signs are for people who live here, not tourist. People in Orlando do not drive well because nobody is from there. They are all lost and will stop or turn in front you in a heart beat! They do 45 in the middle lane in rush hour. The speed limit is the MAX to most.Not a hint like on the 405 or 101

That is a short as I can make it,let me know if you want further info!

• What have I done?

Very nice and seems pretty comprehensive! I will run this by the family and see if we have any other questions for ya!

We are from Anaheim so we will prepare accordingly for the MK!
    What I am most looking forward to is the Tower of Terror to see how different (better or worse) DCA's version is. I am an AP here so very excited to see the differences! No water parks for us because we will just use the resort pool therefore maximizing park time. I guess since AK is like DCA in the fact that it is half a park in the evening we can have a nice relaxing sit down dinner any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    Very nice and seems pretty comprehensive! I will run this by the family and see if we have any other questions for ya!

We are from Anaheim so we will prepare accordingly for the MK!
    What I am most looking forward to is the Tower of Terror to see how different (better or worse) DCA's version is. I am an AP here so very excited to see the differences! No water parks for us because we will just use the resort pool therefore maximizing park time. I guess since AK is like DCA in the fact that it is half a park in the evening we can have a nice relaxing sit down dinner any ideas?
    The Brown Derby @ MGM is $$$ but very nice. We have gone there for our Anniversary the last couple of years. Prime Time @ MGM is more of a fun evening. You eat in little kitchens that are decorated in the 50's style. Bright colors and Fiestaware.(sp) MAny nice restaurants at Epcot in the countries. France, Italy and Canada(Steak House) are very good. England had a copy of the Rose and Crown if you like that fare. There is a Resturant in the Castle in WDW and very good also. You have to make rez's for most, especially the castle. If you time it right you can see the fireworks from in there. Most Resorts have nice restaurants also. AK usually is closed by dark, but they do have a Rainforest Cafe. Which is usually less crowded than the one in Downtown Disney.

AK park is much better than DCA! Better theming and much more fun.The park is just lacking a lot to do. Do the Safari first. Save the kali rapids for afternoon on FastPass. Very cool place! Have not ridden DCA TOT, but you can get reviews from someone else! Where are you going to stay?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast