Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OMG, Laughing my butt off...

Wow,

First off, a nice little post here. BUT, what had me rolling and laughing was the comment about the "white bread...good looking" ambassador Christopher. See, that, ladies and gents, is my actual cousin! His name is Christopher White and comes from where most of the Childers clan (he's technically a 2nd cousin, but he's treated like a 1st...He's a Childers damnit!) come from: Anderson, SC (It might have been on his name tag). We email each other a lot, have great fun at Christmas talking about the parks since we're both big fans (except he got to work there first...tsk) and we even took him out to dinner to celebrate his promotion to Ambassador (P.F. Chang's, for the curious). I have to say TDLFan, this will make an interesting email exchange in the comming days! I'm sure he'll appreciate the eyes comments (and boy, does he have some lashes)!

See you, and him, at Disney World!
    - Agent Xero (Jonathan Childers...WDW cast member/Imagineer to come)

• Banned User

Too bad I am not available anymore or else, I would ask for a date. Hehehe...

About the name tags... The new Happiest Celebration name tags do not include the name of the city where the CM comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    ^^^In terms of annual attendance, Disney-MGM Studios can be looked at as third amongst the parks. But Disney would have a problem closing any Florida park. It NEVER closed a park at all until a hurricane (might have been Frances?) in 1999. Parks closed on 9/11/01, but after they opened and were open the next day. Last year, the parks were closed a few times due to the unprecedented hurricane barrage Florida withstood.

But it's not a place like DL, where a majority of guests are local. Heck, until the late 1980s, DL used to regularly close EVERY Monday and Tuesday during the offseason.

But as far as MGM yesterday and Epcot, which closed at 3 p.m. today, I am quite sure Disney allowed folks with one-day passes to hop to another park. They did so in 2003 for the Mission Space media event.
    well you can't technicaly say most guests are locals at Disneyland if you ask me there are deffinatly alot of people that pass through as part of a big tourist trip though

however you can say that DL is more seasonal and durring it's off season it deffinatly counts on locals to keep it's numbers up

at WDW you don't have that local base to fall back on so it's left with almost zero off season time it's got to constantly attract tourists because it has to keep all four parks filled

WDW has quite alot to ask in terms of both labor and attendance for a park that's not built near a community that is not neccisarily populated enough to um keep it populated?

I know folks who used to work in TDA and had access to certain data. It is widely accepted that between 65-80% (depending on the day) of visitors at DL are described as locals. That term covers folks who live from roughly Santa Barbara to the Mexican border.

I know folks who used to work in TDA and had access to certain data. It is widely accepted that between 65-80% (depending on the day) of visitors at DL are described as locals. That term covers folks who live from roughly Santa Barbara to the Mexican border.
    well I'm not entirely sure what the numbers are now that's why I said a shift a bit

honestly my higher visitation times were between 1995-1998 and 95 was pretty touristy with Indy opening

when I went last year for my first time in a long time I can say there were more locals or at least peeps with AP's

but yeah just saying what i see

I know WDW has to always survive on tourists

if the tourists stopped WDW would cave in there's no way Orlando locals could support those four parks + hotels/waterparks/clubs/shopping districts

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    About the name tags... The new Happiest Celebration name tags do not include the name of the city where the CM comes from.
    That's correct for most of the new nametags... however, there are a few people who still have the location printed on the new nametags. I was surprised to see it, but I did.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    That's correct for most of the new nametags... however, there are a few people who still have the location printed on the new nametags. I was surprised to see it, but I did.
    I don't think CA, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong count!

• Circle of Ancients

So the Everest Press event was supposedly this morning ...

Any opening date??? I'm praying that we may get a soft opening in November ... Please, Please, Pretty Please!!!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I have to agree with her... Why are the paying guests cheated out of enjoying the park, while the Press gets all the perks for free??
    It's called publicity...make the reporters happy and they'll give good reports on the parks. Reports air on the news and more people come to WDW.
    Made my way back to the NY street set, or "Streets of America" (pardon) and found the San Francisco facade in shambles. This facade was totally done for christmas but now looks unfinished and torn apart. What gives??
    The San Fran facade is being given an update to a more realistic facade. I think this is great as the previous facade was a bit unrealistic. The new one looks great imo.
    Any opening date??? I'm praying that we may get a soft opening in November ... Please, Please, Pretty Please!!!
    I believe someone in another forum said April 22nd to coincide with Earth Day and the 8th anniversary of the park, but would soft-open months before.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

<<It's called publicity...make the reporters happy and they'll give good reports on the parks. Reports air on the news and more people come to WDW.

True. And it's also business, good business at that.
    There's been a shift though in recent years that's, IMHO, more unseemly. In the past, guests would be a part of an event OR it wouldn't take place during park hours. Disney would never simply close a park at 3 or 4 in the afternoon to give the media (and other assorted hangers-on) free, exclusive reign of the park. I think that's a legit complaint for people that are visiting and are only there for a day or a few days.

<<I believe someone in another forum said April 22nd to coincide with Earth Day and the 8th anniversary of the park, but would soft-open months before.>>

Joe Rohde has said he expects it to be ready to ride this fall, and I consider him to be a very good source!

• Banned User

I think he was talking about his earlobe when he mentioned "this fall..."

• Disney Memory Maker

Joe Rohde has said he expects it to be ready to ride this fall, and I consider him to be a very good source!
    According to this Press Release on WDWMagic, it will open in 2006. The thing that's happening in August-October 2005 is the expedition to the real Mount Everest. Also, there's always the fact that dates are subject to change. Remember Test Track?

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

According to the press kit for 'Soarin', it was opening on May 5th. So those of us who have been riding 'Soarin' since late March imagined the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    According to this Press Release on WDWMagic, it will open in 2006. The thing that's happening in August-October 2005 is the expedition to the real Mount Everest. Also, there's always the fact that dates are subject to change. Remember Test Track?

-Michael
    With all due respect to you and the PR writers who crafted the release, I think I'll stick with what I was told by the man who designed the attraction.

As for Test Track, have they got that thing working right yet?

• Disney Memory Maker

Are you sure he was talking about the ride (and not Mission Himalayas)?

-Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast