Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I was deleted.

Re: Epcot News and Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    That takes money, but who knows? Miracles could happen.
    Considering an upgrade of these films is a miracle in itself, you never know.

Oh! In my Intro. to Scandinavia class this past Tuesday we watched two "films" on Norway. One was a short tourism video (about 5 minutes in length) that would've provided for an interesting upgrade at the Norway pavillion. Or... they could put in the John Cleese film that we saw in there. I'm sure no one would mind being "forced" to watch that! It's even written my Norwegians.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    The new Canada Circlevision film will make its debut in January.

Shortly thereafter, El Rio de Tiempo will be given a Three Caballeros overlay. The budget is modest, so I wouldn't expect to be wowed.
    Shortly? How shortly? Like, if I go in late January or early Feb, will it be closed? I'm not going to delay a visit for a Caballeros overlay, but if the family goes I want them to experience the cheese.

I wish they had more solid plans for what's closing early in the new year.

WDI and Siemens are still finalizing plans to update SSE (both ride and postshow) and it should all be completed in time for the non-existant 25th anniversary.
    Crossing my fingers for the best here.

It was only recently that he supposedly caught on that Epcot turns 25 next October. And there are many in the company, even Al Weiss, who believe there should be some sort of celebration for it, even if it takes away from the globalized (but largely WDW) dreams-based marketing scheme/event.
    How about they pencil in a wand demolition on the park's birthday? Then everyone who really cares about the place can celebrate and Rasulo can be sure that Joe Omaha doesn't know anything happened.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

--Rio Ride with 3 Cabs...anything to make this ride better, I would support. Personally, I think it's a good idea to, I don't know, TOUCH the ride as if thinking about it. It seems to, I guess, just left there.

--Canada needs a new movie, so yippee there. My Canadian colleagues thought it was a total comedy. They were like, "eh, look at the that, remember those in the 80's?" I agreed with them when we went as a group.

--I'm going to agree with others, strangely, the French pavilion's film isn't as jaded as the other two rides. Very weird how it's held up and I'm going to agree--perhaps leave this one alone or add Hunchback in there! C'est tres bon!

--I don't mind changes to Imagination, but please, ever so, KEEP FIGMENT. He's my bud and a personal mascot on many occasions.

--Something needs to done with SE, so like Mexico's ride, anything else done will be an improvement, even if it's spray paint and screen doors. The last time I was on there, I exited to a bank of empty booths. It was sad and very bad show.

Thanks for this update. I'm looking forward to visiting in February. Maybe a meet-up is in order!

Peace out,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think if they learned anything about Imagination, is that Figment cannot leave.

As for France, I agree it's held its own. I really think this is one of the lesser things that needs plussing and upgrading, but maybe they figure if they're already doing the others, why not this one too?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I can take most everything but the American Adventure thingy. This show needs to close for good. Too long, too boring and simply depressing. I much rather they took the entire show and building down and replace it with DCA's raft ride. That would be more in tune with audiences at Epcot now. (it's for you to decided if I meant this as a joke or was deadly serious)

Also... do not touch Impressions de France. Stunning film and soundtrack that I still enjoy today as much as I did the first time I saw in Sept 1982 during preview days.
    .... American Adventure IS the Disney company. It showcases exactly how a theme park attraction should be.

American Adventure sure has a polarized reception here. Someone (74?) told me that my WDW trip was wasted because I skipped it (although it may have been my harsh reaction to World Showcase in general that prompted that, since low-budget visitors have little to look forward to there.)

OTOH, some people see it as Epcot's version of Golden Dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibardfast View Post
    With all the films getting updated, any chance they may spring for digital projection for some of these venues?

Considering how many times those movies are shown in a day it could be a significant savings versus having to replace worn out film on a regular basis.
    You'd like to think so. The one thing every film-based attraction in Epcot shares in common is grainy, dirty, cloudy projections ... and that's on everything from Canada in its 1981 glory to Soarin.

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84 View Post
    And I'll add that the new Soarin' film was being filmed in Walt Disney Studios Paris last month. Expect a new Soarin' film in the near future.

Really?

I hadn't heard that. I thought Disney would just leave the current film in there for another 15 years. Besides, what could they be filming at DSP that would be worthy of a Soarin film?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    As for France, I agree it's held its own. I really think this is one of the lesser things that needs plussing and upgrading, but maybe they figure if they're already doing the others, why not this one too?
    I just hope -- yet doubt -- they have learned from their mistakes.

Reflections of China isn't half the film Wonders of China was because they cut six minutes from its running time and spliced together new and old footage. So even with some amazing new scenes of modern China, it doesn't work like the 1982 version did.

Music is important to the Canada film and it is the whole basis of the France one ... Disney has destroyed so much music at Epcot, you have to wonder if they'll just ditch it for five minute travelogues. Impressions de France could be refilmed entirely BUT with the same exact score and wouldn't be tired in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    American Adventure sure has a polarized reception here. Someone (74?) told me that my WDW trip was wasted because I skipped it (although it may have been my harsh reaction to World Showcase in general that prompted that, since low-budget visitors have little to look forward to there.)

OTOH, some people see it as Epcot's version of Golden Dreams.
    It was me and don't even put Golden Dreams in the same category.

The American Adventure may well be the finest theme park show ever created. Even with my very negative opinion of our current president and Congress, it always brings a patriotic tear to my eye. It's WDI at its best.
    And it still amazes.

But it does need to be updated to reflect the events of the past dozen years or so and sadly, most of them are very negative ones.

I suppose then, if my Dad (another old-school Disney fan, but old enough to remember most of it more than I do, hehe) were going to WDW for the first time, that this would be one of the few attractions at the resort that would really wow him. I know it would wow him more than the Hall of Presidents ever could. He's a Reagan idolizer and the actions of the current Prez caused him to quit the party, so I know that dry speech and Dubya's imitation boots placed next to Ronnie's hat would make him leave in disgust. LOL

Actually, now that I think about it, I should ask for a list of the best/most impressive stuff at WDW. I know there's not as much of it as there used to be, but there's some gems still there. Then again, I'm sure if I look around there's been a lot of discussions of that type on various WDW forums.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Really?

I hadn't heard that. I thought Disney would just leave the current film in there for another 15 years. Besides, what could they be filming at DSP that would be worthy of a Soarin film?
    Could it be an "Impressions De France" what they were doing in WDSP (which BTW... has no working studios at all as far as I know?) and not a 'Soarin' update? The kids at DLR would hate if WDW got a new 'Soaring' film, and they were still stuck with 'Soaring with the Terminator".

I'd wager TDLFAN is right about this one. It doesn't make sense to flip to Paris since it doesn't embody what The Land is about anyway. If there was an art and architecture pavillion, I'd love an IMAX 3D Soarin'.

But if it's over WDSP, no way. "Soarin' over pavement!"

Impresions de France and American Adventure are two of my favorite attractions at Disney World, much less EPCOT. I think the music of Impresions is great, and it does a great job in painting a picture of France. I'd rather have an outdated great film than for them to redo it and ruin the whole experience. I am glad to hear that Canada is getting a new film.

I'm going in June 2007, so I hope Imagination is open during that visit. My daughters love Figment. I'd like to see a Three Caballeros overlay on El Rio. It's never been one of my favorite rides and there is so much more they could have done with that ride in the first place.

I wouldn't mind the wand coming down at all (and take out the sorcerer Mickey hat from Disney-MGM Studios too).

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84 View Post
    ...the night skyline is totally different in Paris now, just the quality of the film shows its age, and the fact that the cars are more than twenty years old is a dead giveaway.
    I think this is one of those cases where you're entirely right about all of the above points, but for me it just doesn't matter. So much of the movie centers on architecture, beautiful castles and quaint older villages. The old cars seem to fit right in. And I don't find the quality of the film dropping below my enjoyment threshold. New prints are always welcome, but the actual content of this film, including the incredible music score, far outweigh any shortcomings, IMO.

And I'm not really sure I trust the current Disney company to come up with something better . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast