Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

Hello everybody. I just became a CM as of last week and I had the "Traditions" class yesterday. For those who don't know what that is, it is a required class for all CMs before they begin training/working. As the name implies, it is a one-day class of the history of Disney and what is expected of you. One of the major areas that is emphasized is the "Disney Look". As part of the information you are given is a "Disney Look" book. It tells you what you can and can't wear, how to style your hair, how to wear makeup, etc. I just retired from the Air Force, and it reminds me alot of the military. As a matter of fact, some of the items seem more strict! Most CMs in costume are allowed to wear athletic shoes (leather, one color, usually black), but as far as socks, they should cover your ankles. I find it surprising that the team leaders aren't enforcing the policy better.

• Banned User

MK12A, Good luck in your new role at WDW. I think manyof us here know exactly what "Traditions" class is, and many of us rant because what we see 'on stage' does not match the 'traditions' that Disney used to uphold.
    Still, enjoy your new 'role' to the fullest and the benefits that come with it. The name Disney will look good in resumes in your future when you are ready to move out and up the ladder. BTW... I took my 'Traditions' class the day Natalie Wood dies off the coast of CA. Sad thing to remember my actual class date by...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Stimpy215 View Post
    One thing i found about cast members around you that don't care...its amazing how much you can affect THEM when you try to be happy at work and promote a good atmosphere yourself instead of joining in the Disney bashing (esp from the senior CM's who like to talk about the good old days)....
    Exactly! Its the work culture and atmosphere that is so key to keep employees happy and enthusiastic. Its critical for the company to set that stage, and for the managers to re-enforce it through example, words, and actions.

...but think about it...would you rather make .75 cents more an hour and hate your job or make a little less and have a smile every day at work? Sorry i know i'll probably get ripped for this post but just how i feel.
    That's exactly it. A job is more then just a paycheck. You can get paid great and hate your job.. this is the portion these forums constantly overlook. Its the responsibility of the management to build and care to the company work culture. People generically do not bring the culture with them when they start in the organization.. they must be compatible and then they blend in adding their own spice as they go. The lack of management (especially at the lower levels) to shape and encourage employee behavior is by far the biggest factor.

Its management that shapes 'raw' kids into a great cohisive workforce. You need raw talent (which pay helps attract) but its the management that shapes that talent into a team. Pay does NOT create culture, work ethic, or work environment.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    The answer is, of course, pay.

Pay the lowest standard for work, get the lowest standard of worker. Don't totally blame the CMs. You wouldn't give a rat's patoot about making the Disney difference at burger flipper rates, either.
    See my post directly above. Pay does not create a team or great work environment

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    See my post directly above. Pay does not create a team or great work environment
    It would in the airline business where we risk our lives day in and out in broken down planes, with unruly passengers, and terrorist threads..., not to mention putting up with TSA and FAAs incompetencies.. So yes, Better pay would perk me up while at work.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    No, but pay creates a better foundation upon which to build a team or work environment.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    I have actually seen this once or twice, where a manager, I assumed he was since he was wearing a long sleeved collared shirt, did pick up some trash. But, I am going to actually pay closer attention to this when I am there in Oct. to see if this is outside the norm. It could be very interesting study...I'll report back with my findings. And no, I am not being sarcastic, I am actually interested to see...
    When times were busy managing guests, the line, strollers, and trying to clean up messes I could often depend upon my managers. (Not all of them, but most of them.) Instances such as - would you please help me get that or start on that HUGE popcorn spill over there before guests make it into a bigger mess while I go fix the line first, get this spill, etc.

I learned, when approached correctly things can be done - even when you often don't expect them to be done.

• Banned User

Do the TDL cleaning test at the MK... At TDL, risking numerous dirty looks from other guests, I have left over empty cups in some places.. floor by a bench or sidewalk curb, walked away while timing on my wristwatch. Then wait... Of the 4 times I have done this test, the longest time it took a Custodial CM to find the trash and pick it up was 47 secs. At the MK, I did this once, leaving a cup by one of the benches inthe outer rim of the hub. I waited, and gave up about 5 mins later. About two hours later, my cup was still there when I was leaving the park. Go figure.

• Vehicle rotating backward

You are, once again, comparing service culture instead of faulty management. You even pointed out that even the other guests were unhappy about your trash, this is more evidence that is more to do with Japanese culture than any actual operations.

Costuming issues are a constant thing at Disney. I worked in a resort and would go to costuming and get my normal size clothes. Sometimes they fit great, more often though, they did not. I am a tall person 6'0" and usually reqquire a 33 or 34 inch inseam. I got a pair of pants that was labled 32/34. The waist fit great, but the inseam was way way off. You would think that the Seven Seas Lagoon was going to flood the hotel (Grand Floridian) I measured the inseam, it was 30". Brought the pants back and told costuming, two weeks later, I get the exact same pair, still labled wrong.

I just changed jobs at Disney, and my trainer took me to costuming. The smallest sized shirts available were medium, which is fine since that is my normal size. I put the shirt on, and it fits more like an extra large. My new costume requires that I wear a vest. The trainer had me try on a vest and it fit perfectly. Mind you I normally wear a mens medium, the size of the vest beleive it or not is XXXL.
    I usually wash and take care of my costumes myself, once I get something that fits properly. I'll return them every few weeks so I won't get charged for them, and then pray I get something else that fits well.

When I was at The Grand Floridian, new shirts for the front desk male cast members came in, I don't know where they bought the shirts, but the collars were not right. They looked great open, but male front desk cast must wear a tie, close that button and put a tie on and the collars are all messed up, they bunch up want to flip upward, very annoying. Costuming bought some cheap XXX shirts and despite complaints from the cast over how bad and uncomfortable they are the costuming managers won't get the issue fixed. I refused to wear one of the new shirts and kept the older ones with the great collars until the day I left. I even had other cast members ask me how to get the collar looking so good. All I could do is help them find one of the older shirts up in costuming.

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Do the TDL cleaning test at the MK... At TDL, risking numerous dirty looks from other guests, I have left over empty cups in some places.. floor by a bench or sidewalk curb, walked away while timing on my wristwatch. Then wait... Of the 4 times I have done this test, the longest time it took a Custodial CM to find the trash and pick it up was 47 secs. At the MK, I did this once, leaving a cup by one of the benches inthe outer rim of the hub. I waited, and gave up about 5 mins later. About two hours later, my cup was still there when I was leaving the park. Go figure.
    Now, here is the interesting thing about that, If I was the other guest and saw this, and was unhappy about it, I would have picked it up myself and thrown it away while mumbling to myself about what a slob you are. I'm not saying you are a slob, this would just be my reaction to anyone who did this. This is just me but I do it everywhere I go. I can't stand people just dropping trash on the ground. I don't want my children doing this or growing up in a world where it is done. Somehow I think I am in the minority on this one...

You are, once again, comparing service culture instead of faulty management. You even pointed out that even the other guests were unhappy about your trash, this is more evidence that is more to do with Japanese culture than any actual operations.
    I am not familiar with Japanese culture but do notice that they seem to be more strict on issues such as this. But could it be because they are such a large population in such a smaller space than Americans and realize that they have to take better care?
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Now, here is the interesting thing about that, If I was the other guest and saw this, and was unhappy about it, I would have picked it up myself and thrown it away while mumbling to myself about what a slob you are. I'm not saying you are a slob, this would just be my reaction to anyone who did this. This is just me but I do it everywhere I go. I can't stand people just dropping trash on the ground. I don't want my children doing this or growing up in a world where it is done. Somehow I think I am in the minority on this one...

I am not familiar with Japanese culture but do notice that they seem to be more strict on issues such as this. But could it be because they are such a large population in such a smaller space than Americans and realize that they have to take better care?
    It's more that they respect the surroundings more than Americans. Disney can theme and prop out an attraction having things within an arms reach of the queue line and the Japanese won't even think about touching it. In the United States, if it isn't nailed down or glued to the table it will be ripped off or destroyed. If it is within arms length, it will eventually get broken.

• Banned User

That may or may not be the case with culture, but good service is universal and in the USA, you don't get it anymore. Even well operated companies with good management can't garranty you will get good service from their staff. In all my years in Japan, only twice I got what I concider bad service due to the service being either very slow, or non existant (as in waiting for a waiter for eternity).

• golly gawrrsh

It's happening all over - and yes it's pretty pathetic to see.

We have a chain up here called Canadian Tire - something like Lowe's i suppose. Anyways you should see the stuff they wear. My wife has never been one to hold her tongue when it comes to "offensive" stuff and one day we were out with our daughter on a bike ride. I needed my tires pumped up so we stopped in. While she was waiting this guy came out of the store to do something with some BBQ's that were in the front. the guy had the Canadian Tire red shirt on, name tag, black pants and high-top unlaced runners on. Not too bad except that the black pants were half way down the guys a$$. He's standing there working harder on keeping those pants at cheek level instead of knee or ankle level.

When I got back to them she when right into the store and complained to the manager saying it was pretty bad that this big chain doesn't have enough respect for their customers to maintain professional appearance by the staff.

All I can say is that we haven't seen one pair of boxers since then so either my wife is very good at talking or there have been more people complain.

it does seem though that complaining doesn't seem to work with Disney since I've read so many posts about broken rides, sound systems, etc and it doesn't seem to change.

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    It would in the airline business where we risk our lives day in and out in broken down planes, with unruly passengers, and terrorist threads..., not to mention putting up with TSA and FAAs incompetencies.. So yes, Better pay would perk me up while at work.
    I guess it all depends on what you see as most important in your life...again i have been at a job i hate that payed me pretty well...and at no point had I ever thought wow at least i'm making good money right now...that doesn't usually do much to console you when your being stressed and hate what your doing..its usually more of an afterthought or just enough to make you numb to do your job..not motivate you to do better or to inspire those around you..just enough to get you through the day..what kind of existence is that? ...besides even if Disney started paying more money (which again I do think they should dont get me wrong ) people would still say well its not enough for what WE do ...even if it was 10 bucks an hour or whatever some people would complain that its not enough ...because they aren't happy w/ their job and they need something to complain about..its never their fault their job sucks...they don't do anything to help correct the problem but its not their fault..obviously there are things everyone will hate about their jobs they can't change but you can change more than you realize ...If you take pride in what you do..and try to make your world around you better including working hard and trying to make your job fun for yourself and those around you it DOES make a huge difference ...again you'd be amazed what one person can do to a dozen by just smiling and joking around..just as much as a bad cast member can poison a break room w/ negativity a good one can make it fun...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast