Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Questions about "The Disney Look"

    OK current CMs at WDW... Why is the Disney Look not as revered as it was once at WDW??? Is it really a difficult thing for you guys to get into because of ... politics, mood, what??

    When I was a CM back in the days, we were beaten over our heads over and over and over with the "disney look" book of regulations and CM's who didn't show up at work in compliance would be sent home with NO PAY for the day.

    Now.. this is what I see: wild haircuts that do not meet a more professional standards or show, non-compliance about being in a different land with a costume that does not belong there. Poorly fitted outfits, mostly because of body shapes or wrong sizes, discoloration of some garmets, and the biggest offense of them all: Non-compliance shoes.

    Just last night, a turnstyle CM at EPCOT was wearing sport sneakers in colors that didn't match his outfit and very low cut socks that gave the impression he wasn't wearing any socks at all. In my days, black shoes was the norm, and tennis shoes and sneakers were simply prohibited.

    Needless to say, I am appalled at the lack of professionalism I see across property in regards to the proper wear of costumes "on stage". I realize not the entire CM work forced is to be blamed for this. Management has to share the blame for not trying to keep this problem from straying so far out that it becomes painfully noticeable. I personally can find 1 in every 10 CMs not being in compliance about the "Disney Look". Can't anyone take a little pride anymore??? I know some of you CM do take pride and I appreciate and applaud those of you who DO take the time to look the part and be best in show on stage.

    Now.. some things that are impacting this issue... Castzooming. CM's doing their own costumes' laundry and ruining it in the process, plus you have no idea how jarring and stupid those costumes look in our local Publix supermarkets. Bad move from Disney and I place the blame entirely on management on this one issue. Likewise, the management is at fault for the generic design approach of some of WDW's CMs costumes. I can go my local Gap store, pick up a simple dress shirt and dockers, stick my old nametag on it, and presto! I can take a tour of the tunnel. WDW has got to have the worst collection of CM costumes of any of the Disney Resort, and when something unique comes along, like the "Soarin'" costumes for example, these CMs stick out as a sore thumb simply because they stand out from the average rest of the cast.

    So again.. I ask, what is it with the Disney Look that is so poorly executed, maintained, or enforced at WDW now a days?????

  2. #2

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,998
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Hey man... they like, have a right to be expressive and stuff. Haven't you read the Constitution?

    I cannot offer any words regarding Walt Disney World. Personally, I believe it is a part of larger slip in the American work ethic, especially amongst the young. Even at my place of work, the manager refuses to enforce the dress code he implemented, and it's a t-shirt and jeans! Nobody wants to take any pride in their work, and frankly, it really saddens me.

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Hey man... they like, have a right to be expressive and stuff. Haven't you read the Constitution?

    I cannot offer any words regarding Walt Disney World. Personally, I believe it is a part of larger slip in the American work ethic, especially amongst the young. Even at my place of work, the manager refuses to enforce the dress code he implemented, and it's a t-shirt and jeans! Nobody wants to take any pride in their work, and frankly, it really saddens me.
    The Constitution is a lie. This nation of ours is quite restrictive and cencorship is rampant. If everyone did whatever in the name of the Constitution, this nation would be one huge giant chaotic mess with not regards for law and order. But that is not what I am posting this topic about... I really would like to know why is the Disney Look so unrestricted and what does Disney stands to gain by allowing it to become what it has: a mess.

  4. #4

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13,998
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    = not serious.

    I am serious that I think it's just a general decline in work ethic. Disney also saves a buck by not worrying and helps to keep poor CMs as it refuses to pay for quality CMs.

  5. #5

    • We're number one!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    758

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    I notice the "Disney Look" has gone at the window, but are you really surprised? I mean most of the people who work there get paid just above minimum wage and don't care, and Disney is getting lax because they are having trouble filling the positions. I've worked at Disney before and I will never do it again because the way I was treated was not worth the pay. Most people who work there will not even work there a year. Their lucky if they get them to work 6 months!

    The sad part is you can go just about anywhere else to work and get paid more than you do at Disney. Heck, if you just head down I-4 to Universal you can get paid more!

  6. #6

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    OK current CMs at WDW... Why is the Disney Look not as revered as it was once at WDW??? Is it really a difficult thing for you guys to get into because of ... politics, mood, what??
    ACTUALLY. My area DID follow through with The Disney Look very well. Even simple things such as having a name tag on the outer most layer of clothing was often addressed.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Now.. this is what I see: wild haircuts that do not meet a more professional standards or show,
    This is addressed too. I've also heard comments/stories from ENTERTAINMENT CMs who are NEVER really seen, especially their hair about this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    non-compliance about being in a different land with a costume that does not belong there.
    For certain parks, attractions, etc. there is only one way to go. For this I mean regarding DAK and The Disney-MGM Studios. In fact, at the Disney-MGM Studios it is 100% "allowed" as it fits with the theme and atmosphere that is supposed to be there of a "working Hollywood set."
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Poorly fitted outfits, mostly because of body shapes or wrong sizes, discoloration of some garmets,
    They made new pants at my work location. I got one of the new pairs in my regular "size" and they were huge! For fun I went and tried on a size smaller and they fit better than my actual size. The only sad thing is that they took off the metal detailing and other simple detail elements to the costume when they did this. As far is discoloration, I have seen this too. But when older CMs have costumes withOUT bar codes and it takes costuming a long time to figure out what they actually have checked it, that won't really change. For me, the more discolored it is, the older the CM is for most chances.
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    and the biggest offense of them all: Non-compliance shoes.

    Just last night, a turnstyle CM at EPCOT was wearing sport sneakers in colors that didn't match his outfit and very low cut socks that gave the impression he wasn't wearing any socks at all. In my days, black shoes was the norm, and tennis shoes and sneakers were simply prohibited.
    The shoes at most work locations ARE sneakers. They are one color, non-labeled shoes. Certain locations do still have their own, but most just have the generic shoe.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Needless to say, I am appalled at the lack of professionalism I see across property in regards to the proper wear of costumes "on stage". I realize not the entire CM work forced is to be blamed for this. Management has to share the blame for not trying to keep this problem from straying so far out that it becomes painfully noticeable. I personally can find 1 in every 10 CMs not being in compliance about the "Disney Look". Can't anyone take a little pride anymore??? I know some of you CM do take pride and I appreciate and applaud those of you who DO take the time to look the part and be best in show on stage.

    Now.. some things that are impacting this issue... Castzooming. CM's doing their own costumes' laundry and ruining it in the process, plus you have no idea how jarring and stupid those costumes look in our local Publix supermarkets.
    I never wore my costume to such a location. Most of my CMs didn't even wear their costume outside of the work building, let alone outside of property. I realize that some CMs might make a bad choice, but not all of them do. Especially when it comes to senior CMs as those are the ones I have seen often making the best decisions when it comes to Disney Look and their costumes. It is very important to note that some managers are doing their job and enforcing what they can.

    Along with this, many CMs are able to try on the EASY variation in shirts, pants, etc. to get some that fit them best. So if there's anything good about those shirts that don't have barcodes and are slightly discolored, they fit those senior CMs better than the other ones on the rack would.

    For example, if you wore white socks (which I did ONE day because I needed to do laundry as I only had one black sock left) managers WOULD say something. I got a warning. Others got more of a talking to - and we wore pants and our feet weren't often seen either.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    So again.. I ask, what is it with the Disney Look that is so poorly executed, maintained, or enforced at WDW now a days?????
    I realize there might be a problem, but all CMs are not the sole problem. In fact, I'm not sure what the percentage would be that contribue to this problem but the CMs that I know and worked with actually kept up with all of these things you say that CMs are not.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Well Thanks for the great and informative response PigletFan, I knew I could count on you for some insight and perspectives..

    Just a few things... 1) I never said ALL CMs are at fault, I know and commented most do adhere to regulations, but some are also way out there for words to describe how bad they look.
    2) Bar codes. I had no clue some costume pieces have barcodes... That is new to me. You have to understand... I am one generation before you.
    and 3) Sneakers. When I was a CM in the early 80s, NO ONE was allowed to wear sneaker-type shoes *anywhere*, or with any costume. When was this changed??? I guess I would not have a problem with sneakers on stage as long as they are as simply in designs as possible and preferably in one color that matches the look of the costume overall. I don't think that wild sneakers like the ones sports stars sell on TV, in wild colors, designs and overly bubbly designer soles are acceptable and take away from the look overall. Those are the type of sneakers I saw the EPCOT CM wearing yesterday.

    I guess all of these inconsistencies would come to an end if Disney went back to the old ways and did not allow CMs to take costumes home at the end of their shift. The company needs to take more responsability about the quality look of the costumes and stop being so cheap by delegating to costume care to CMs, if that is the case.

  8. #8

    • Irrational Mr. Toad Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nowhere in Particular
    Posts
    687

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    As a current CM I have noticed very few offenses in my area (Tomorrowland, Custodial). I think the Disney Look is very important and have no problem adhering to it. Maybe the person you saw with the shoes was new? I know they told me I had a week after my first paycheck to be in compliance shoes-wise (but I was ready in time for the first day). In response to everything else I agree with BPF.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    As a current CM I have noticed very few offenses in my area (Tomorrowland, Custodial). I think the Disney Look is very important and have no problem adhering to it. Maybe the person you saw with the shoes was new? I know they told me I had a week after my first paycheck to be in compliance shoes-wise (but I was ready in time for the first day). In response to everything else I agree with BPF.
    Allow me to be the first one here to tell you: THANK YOU. Please note that your efforts to be in compliance with the Disney Look are noticed and greatly appreciated since they enhance my experience at WDW. And since you are in custodial...do me a favor. Tell your managers they are required to bend over an pick up trash discarded on the floors as well... after all, isn't the entire cast supposed to be custodials in one way or another?? But some managers do walk pass and do not care to do their part. Tell them TDLFAN is watching...

  10. #10

    • I was deleted.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    13,187

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well Thanks for the great and informative response PigletFan, I knew I could count on you for some insight and perspectives..

    Just a few things... 1) I never said ALL CMs are at fault, I know and commented most do adhere to regulations, but some are also way out there for words to describe how bad they look.
    2) Bar codes. I had no clue some costume pieces have barcodes... That is new to me. You have to understand... I am one generation before you.
    and 3) Sneakers. When I was a CM in the early 80s, NO ONE was allowed to wear sneaker-type shoes *anywhere*, or with any costume. When was this changed??? I guess I would not have a problem with sneakers on stage as long as they are as simply in designs as possible and preferably in one color that matches the look of the costume overall. I don't think that wild sneakers like the ones sports stars sell on TV, in wild colors, designs and overly bubbly designer soles are acceptable and take away from the look overall. Those are the type of sneakers I saw the EPCOT CM wearing yesterday.

    I guess all of these inconsistencies would come to an end if Disney went back to the old ways and did not allow CMs to take costumes home at the end of their shift. The company needs to take more responsability about the quality look of the costumes and stop being so cheap by delegating to costume care to CMs, if that is the case.
    I have no idea when they were changed but for me it makes sense. It's less expensive from a CM standpoint to get shoes that work. If you transfer areas, pick up shifts, etc. your shoe wear is probably not going to change.

    I can't tell you when the change took place, except that some CMs at my old work location liked the costume with the old shoes more; however, the ones that costuming had were in terrible condition and the shoes were no longer available to be purchased on the market.

    I can't speak for the CM you saw at Epcot, maybe you should speak with him? As for the socks, that could just be more of a fashion length than anything else. The number one concern is approx. length and color and then everything else, for obvious reasons.

    As for the bar codes, that's how all things are checked out with Disney now. The older costumes (CMs who checked them out BEFORE the barcodes where put into place) make CMs very hesitant to check out or change costumes. For instance, when buttons fall off costuming has been known to give CMs a safety pin to fix this. IF one of the CMs were to come in with their shirt without a bar code the time it would take for them to look it up, figure out who they are and how to do so would be a pain in the neck. It isn't likely to happen any time soon and if you were one of those CMs with the costume you wouldn't want to fuss with it either.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago
    Posts
    204

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyBear View Post
    I notice the "Disney Look" has gone at the window, but are you really surprised? I mean most of the people who work there get paid just above minimum wage and don't care, and Disney is getting lax because they are having trouble filling the positions. I've worked at Disney before and I will never do it again because the way I was treated was not worth the pay. Most people who work there will not even work there a year. Their lucky if they get them to work 6 months!

    The sad part is you can go just about anywhere else to work and get paid more than you do at Disney. Heck, if you just head down I-4 to Universal you can get paid more!


    I agree Disney needs to pay more...As far as being treated bad when i was a CP..maybe i was an exception but i was treated just fine...i worked hard and tried to make the most of my situation...made friends with fellow cast members etc ..and tried to enjoy my job the most i can ....I'm a pretty naive sometimes to certain things i know this...but honestly there are a lot worse jobs in the world that you can have than working for Disney...there are so many intangibles that make it unlike anyplace else on earth..the guest contact the atmosphere the whole thing..One thing i found about cast members around you that don't care...its amazing how much you can affect THEM when you try to be happy at work and promote a good atmosphere yourself instead of joining in the Disney bashing (esp from the senior CM's who like to talk about the good old days)....i suppose one day i'll become jaded and care soley about money when choosing where i work ..and less and less about being happy about what i'm doing.....again i know Disney has to pay more...you have to make a living and support yourself and your family if you have one...but think about it...would you rather make .75 cents more an hour and hate your job or make a little less and have a smile every day at work? Sorry i know i'll probably get ripped for this post but just how i feel.

  12. #12

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Wow, I think you just see bad things through timing. I don't see what you see.

  13. #13

    • Irrational Mr. Toad Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nowhere in Particular
    Posts
    687

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Tell your managers they are required to bend over an pick up trash discarded on the floors as well... after all, isn't the entire cast supposed to be custodials in one way or another?? But some managers do walk pass and do not care to do their part. Tell them TDLFAN is watching...
    LOL... and thank you TDLFAN, I think this every single day!

  14. #14

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    The answer is, of course, pay.

    Pay the lowest standard for work, get the lowest standard of worker. Don't totally blame the CMs. You wouldn't give a rat's patoot about making the Disney difference at burger flipper rates, either.

  15. #15

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Questions about "The Disney Look"

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Tell your managers they are required to bend over an pick up trash discarded on the floors as well... after all, isn't the entire cast supposed to be custodials in one way or another?? But some managers do walk pass and do not care to do their part. Tell them TDLFAN is watching...
    I have actually seen this once or twice, where a manager, I assumed he was since he was wearing a long sleeved collared shirt, did pick up some trash. But, I am going to actually pay closer attention to this when I am there in Oct. to see if this is outside the norm. It could be very interesting study...I'll report back with my findings. And no, I am not being sarcastic, I am actually interested to see...
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "IASW" in 2008, Combo ride"POTC" and "Raging Spirits" shelved, "MSEP" postponed
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 02:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •