Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    213

    Discovery River Boats Video

    I would have liked to ridden these but never got the chance but heres some videos I found:

    Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UqQVO2FCO0

    Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8WhAD32efs

  2. #2

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Great videos! I never rode this either! When did they do this at AK and for how long? Now they just use the boat landing for character interactions don't they? I don't get it? Those boats were full and it looked like a gret informative experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

  3. #3

    • Shablagoo!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bremerton, WA
    Posts
    8,915

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Thanks for posting the links. lol Cornstalk of death!

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    213

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Your welcome!

    Great videos! I never rode this either! When did they do this at AK and for how long? Now they just use the boat landing for character interactions don't they? I don't get it? Those boats were full and it looked like a gret informative experience!
    I believe they were around from when the park first opened till like 1999.
    Problem is lines were long and people were getting disgruntled.

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    They really did not have very much going for them. The lines would develop, and they would travel around the river. However, the sights were minimal, and since you had to take the entire trip, instead of stopping half way in Asia, the lines would develop very quickly. Combine that with the minimal attractions in DAK, and people waiting 45 minutes or more to ride, and people became angry very quickly. They tried to make it more intersting by adding an animal guide with small animals on board, and later a prerecorded Radio Disney Spiel, but nothing could save them.

    They now use them to have a band and characters travel the river on occassion. I also saw them used in Bay Lake as training for the boat drivers. Quite a surprise to see one of the old Discovery River Boats dock at the Polynesian.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  6. #6

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    They really did not have very much going for them. The lines would develop, and they would travel around the river. However, the sights were minimal, and since you had to take the entire trip, instead of stopping half way in Asia, the lines would develop very quickly. Combine that with the minimal attractions in DAK, and people waiting 45 minutes or more to ride, and people became angry very quickly. They tried to make it more intersting by adding an animal guide with small animals on board, and later a prerecorded Radio Disney Spiel, but nothing could save them.

    They now use them to have a band and characters travel the river on occassion. I also saw them used in Bay Lake as training for the boat drivers. Quite a surprise to see one of the old Discovery River Boats dock at the Polynesian.
    Yeah, I could see that being a problem. Hmmm...I bet that was quite funny seeing one of those boats in Bay Lake. "Well, Bob, you failed the boat driving test since we are no longer on the river let alone in Animal Kingdom."
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Forgot I took a pic of it at the Polynesian. Here ya go:

    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  8. #8

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Oh, blast it. I got these confused with the swan boats at the MK.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Oh, blast it. I got these confused with the swan boats at the MK.
    The Plaza Swan Boats actually had the shape of a swan in the front and, besides "If you had Wings", it's the one ride I miss the most at the MK.

  10. #10

    • Yes?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,558

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The Plaza Swan Boats actually had the shape of a swan in the front and, besides "If you had Wings", it's the one ride I miss the most at the MK.
    Oh wow...If you had wings, the good old Delta sponsored ride. I still think about it every time I'm in Space Ranger Spin in the part where the screen used to show the birds...Great now the song is stuck in my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,038

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    I remember riding this attraction in June '98 and being completely disappointed with it. It was the one attraction at DAK that I was totally bored with. Seriously folks you're not missing anything now that it is gone.

  12. #12

    • Former Epcot CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Travelling the world but home is the UK
    Posts
    4,865

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    God those boats are maHOOsive. I thought they were much smaller.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

    DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

    (VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS


  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    I don't care about them as a ride but at least they give the river some life. I wouldn't care if they just ran the empty boats around - at least it's using that river for SOMETHING!

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    71

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Yeah. I road them in August of '99 and the only thing I remember is getting some great close-up shots of the DAK tree, so they couldn't have been that great.
    Photographers Unite!
    Preserve Our Liberties




    "Mono" means one and "rail" means... rail.

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Discovery River Boats Video

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevie View Post
    I don't care about them as a ride but at least they give the river some life. I wouldn't care if they just ran the empty boats around - at least it's using that river for SOMETHING!
    Actually, they do run the boats with a band and characters on it several times a day. It enters and exits near Everest, and I beleive travels the entire circuit of the river. So, they are trying to infuse life into the river in some way.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Rumor] New boats for Pirates?
    By dl_appurtenant in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 06:06 PM
  2. [Question] River Rogue Keel Boats?
    By Disneyfan4 in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 02:33 AM
  3. Travel/Discovery Channel Style Video of Adventureland!
    By dchun2007 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
  4. Discovery River Boats at Ak
    By giggling_gargoyles in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 05:30 AM
  5. WDI thinking of new boats for pan?
    By TheDude in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-04-2006, 02:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •