Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: "Dream Along with Mickey" castle show.

Niles, we all have our own ideas of what Mickey should and should not be, but as long as he is not portrayed in a questionable matter, or going around saying "WTF WTF" all the time, Mickey will be alright with me. Mickey has to keep current with the times if he is to survive for decades to come.

• Having a Grand Day!

While I understand the need to keep Mickey fresh, and indeed House of Mouse did a good job achieving just that, there is a fine line and in this case I feel it has been trodden on. There are certain things that is just not 'Mickey' and rap is one of those things, especially with the negative imagery steriotypically attacted by this paticular style of music these dats. In fact, the style of music is just not Disney and the efforts made by the Walt Disney Company in the 90's are nothing short of cringeworthy.

I HATE it when I see these characters that I love doing things that are deemed "cute" and engineered to suit a particular directors whim rather than building upon a charachters personality. It always seems to happen at TDL.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane View Post
    While I understand the need to keep Mickey fresh, and indeed House of Mouse did a good job achieving just that, there is a fine line and in this case I feel it has been trodden on.
    Just to follow that line of thought, this raises a good point. Disney have done a reasonably good job of updating their characters through things such as House of Mouse, Tail Spin and Goof Troop, putting a realistic spin on established characters without ruining what those characters 'mean' to people.

There is nothing more embarassing to watch than a corporate idea of what is "hip", and all too often does this take the form of a rap.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Vehicle rotating backward

While I understand the need to keep Mickey fresh, and indeed House of Mouse did a good job achieving just that, there is a fine line and in this case I feel it has been trodden on. There are certain things that is just not 'Mickey' and rap is one of those things, especially with the negative imagery steriotypically attacted by this paticular style of music these dats. In fact, the style of music is just not Disney and the efforts made by the Walt Disney Company in the 90's are nothing short of cringeworthy.
    Niles, maybe it's because you're from overseas, but Disney has been doing this with the mice for a long time now. Anyone else remember Totally Minnie? Although most remembered for a Roger Rabbit-esque video with Elton John and Minnie singing "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," I also remember her duet with Janet Jackson singing "Nasty Boys."

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Niles, maybe it's because you're from overseas, but Disney has been doing this with the mice for a long time now. Anyone else remember Totally Minnie? Although most remembered for a Roger Rabbit-esque video with Elton John and Minnie singing "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," I also remember her duet with Janet Jackson singing "Nasty Boys."
    I know very well about Totally Minnie, and just because it's been happening for a long time doesn't make it right, in most cases it just us more reason to demand a change. Disney can make it's characters relevant in much more fulfilling ways than forcing them to rap - One has to watch Daisy Duck on Quack Pack or read some of the stuff coming out of the comics division to see that faux corporate hipness isn't the answer to creating relevant characters.

Wow, here I thought all this time I was the only person who remembered Totally Minnie. That wasn't really a bad special for a "girl" show, now that the memories come back. I don't mind if they make them hip so long as they do it well. The cover of that UnwRAPped cover makes me cringe, for instance. However, I remember hearing the Whatta Mouse song once and thinking the parody lyrics were actually cute. "and he NEVER calls me Daisy!"

OTOH, the new House of Mouse sketches do the characters injustice a lot of the time, I feel. I've seen Minnie completely lose her cool on several of them, and the one where Mickey starts trashing his buggy high-tech house until the whole place caves in was really unusual for a Disney short. The old guys did the plot of obnoxiously helpful technology in Donald's early "Modern Inventions" short, and it was far better. I still like to shout "YOUR HAT, SIR!" from time to time.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Mickey is NOT a rapper.
    Why not? Mickey rapped with Tag Team back in '95 for a Disney version of Whoop There It Is. Can't say that I liked it, but if the animators want Mickey to rap, Mickey raps. He doesn't have to be a put-a-cap-in-your-arse hood just to rap.

• keep moving forward...

im so tired of hearing about high school musical...

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88 View Post
    im so tired of hearing about high school musical...
    Don't worry about. Just keep your head in the game, stick to the status quo, and it will all be okay.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

Now, I can't keep that "Totally Minnie" theme song off my head. Thanks a lot you guys...

• Banned User

Wow, I don't remember totally mini, though I did once see some of the opener on youtube... I don't have any copy of it yet...

(Unlike some other tv specials)

Quote Originally Posted by figment1986 View Post
    Wow, I don't remember totally mini, though I did once see some of the opener on youtube... I don't have any copy of it yet...

(Unlike some other tv specials)
    Don't feel too bad, aside from some guest apperances from other celebs and characters (like Pluto licking Vanna White in the face), all you missed was some guy dressed as the perennial nerd learning to dance, and this number (pardon whoever recorded it slamming metal around off-scene)

• Disneyholic

What no Disco Duck? Donald so needs a better agent...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I also remember her duet with Janet Jackson singing "Nasty Boys."
    ok, I have GOT to see that!!!!!!!!

• Banned User

my daughter loved minnie and she thought totally minnie was cool back in the 80's. If the mice don't change they become irrelevant to the next generation of disney fanatics and that wouldn't be good for the company now would it?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast