Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Epcot's my fave park!

Re: Deluxe Disney Hotels Suggested

I absolutely luv the Floridian, so close to MK & Epcot.Beautiful hotel, graet food, pool is cool, cm's are the best; GF all the way baby! Are there any websites for the GF?

http://www.freewebs.com/tiff_lisatony7/

I have visited almost all the Deluxe resorts and seen or stayed in the rooms at all the Deluxe resorts except the Swan and Boardwalk. We can afford to stay at what ever resort we choose so money is not a factor in our decision. If money were a factor my list of favorites might be different.

The resort that is #1 on my list is the Polynesian. No resort has the atmosphere of the Polynesian for us. I thought I just liked the resort because I love Hawaii but family, friends and my wife all agree that there is no feeling in WDW like staying at the Polynesian. We keep trying other resorts and they have a lot to offer but we always feel like there is something missing. I can’t even begin to tell you how many people have told me that they never considered trying the resort before and once they did they would not consider going anywhere else.

Polynesian is our first choice for its location. It is the only resort with the Transportation and Ticket Center within walking distance for easy access to the monorail to Epcot and boat to the MK. It also has its own boat over to the MK and the monorail in the lobby. It has great views of the Magic Kingdom and even its garden view rooms offer great views of the tropical grounds, marina, pools and even some with partial lagoon views. The food is some of the best. We would eat there even if we don’t stay there. The rooms (along with the Contemporary) are fully redesigned and the largest standard rooms on property. In some cases almost 100 sqft larger than some other deluxe resorts. Everything at the resort has been completely redone within the last couple of years (some things in process now).

For more info visit here. http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/

Our next favorite is the Yacht Club. The Beach Club offers many of the same things with closer access to Epcot but we liked the rooms better in the YC and we did not like how some of the BC rooms had very small balconies. The location is great and while the transportation is not the same as at the monorail resorts it is close enough to walk to Epcot. We were not happy with the bus service and the boat was fun but took very long. The food options and entertainment are great around the Boardwalk area. I pool was nice but did not impress us and did not compare to sitting in the Polynesian pool along the beach watching the fireworks. Many say that if you want to go to Epcot you should stay in a resort over around the Boardwalk area (which is good advise) but we did time studies that showed that taking the monorail over to Epcot took 8 minutes and the monorail was only a 2 minute walk from rooms at the Polynesian. Walking from our room at the Yacht Club room to the International Gateway in Epcot took 10 minutes and was outside in the rain or heat.

Here are some photos from our stay at the Yacht Club. http://disneyecho.emuck.com/wdw/yachtbeach/yacht.html

The Animal Kingdom Lodge would be higher on our list if it were in another location or on the monorail. The resort has an awesome theme and the food is worth staying there alone. The rooms are small and our experience with the busses was not good at all but others love the transportation since it does not share with other resorts. Seeing the animals is a big part of it. The pool was a very good size but the slide was a joke. We felt isolated since we were use to being able to walk to other resorts, dining or having the monorail to hop on to other resorts. Also we love to walk around the grounds and beaches of the other resorts. The AKL only has some small inner paths to walk and we sort of felt trapped after spending the better part of a day hanging around the resort. Because of the small rooms (which I have also stayed in) we upgraded to a one bedroom suite on our first stay. Here are some photos. http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Bay/2553/akl.html

I visit the GF and the Contemporary every trip and have been inside the rooms. I have not seen in person the new room at the Contemporary but it looks inviting. The GF is not something we are interested in. Reminds me of my grandmothers home and the rooms are not to are liking at all. The spa and fitness center are not a selling point for us since the Polynesian guests have access to the fitness center for no charge and since it is located between the resorts there are actually some rooms at the Polynesian that are closer than rooms at the GF (walking time). Just because it is labeled the flag ship resort of WDW. Many will argue it is not the best resort in WDW and its repeat guests totals are lower than many of the other deluxe resorts. Actually the Polynesian has the highest repeat guest totals.

The Wilderness Lodge is nice but again the rooms are way to small for us and we live in the North West so we don’t want to feel like we flew to Florida to go camping. A big fire in the lobby is not refreshing to us on a hot summer day. The food options at the WL are great and the transportation is not too bad although the boat can take a long time.

We tried the Dolphin and did not like it at all. We will be trying the Swan in December and I will be trying the Boardwalk in May so I will have to hold my opinion on them for later.

DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    I have visited almost all the Deluxe resorts and seen or stayed in the rooms at all the Deluxe resorts except the Swan and Boardwalk. We can afford to stay at what ever resort we choose so money is not a factor in our decision. If money were a factor my list of favorites might be different.

The resort that is #1 on my list is the Polynesian. No resort has the atmosphere of the Polynesian for us. I thought I just liked the resort because I love Hawaii but family, friends and my wife all agree that there is no feeling in WDW like staying at the Polynesian. We keep trying other resorts and they have a lot to offer but we always feel like there is something missing. I can’t even begin to tell you how many people have told me that they never considered trying the resort before and once they did they would not consider going anywhere else.

Polynesian is our first choice for its location. It is the only resort with the Transportation and Ticket Center within walking distance for easy access to the monorail to Epcot and boat to the MK. It also has its own boat over to the MK and the monorail in the lobby. It has great views of the Magic Kingdom and even its garden view rooms offer great views of the tropical grounds, marina, pools and even some with partial lagoon views. The food is some of the best. We would eat there even if we don’t stay there. The rooms (along with the Contemporary) are fully redesigned and the largest standard rooms on property. In some cases almost 100 sqft larger than some other deluxe resorts. Everything at the resort has been completely redone within the last couple of years (some things in process now).

For more info visit here. http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/
    I see that Tahiti is your favorite place there too Tikiman.

Very nice post. I'm quickly starting to agree with you on this one about the Poly. While value resorts are in my budget, my experiences in simply visiting the Poly and then staying there - wonderful.

There is also a major rehab going on of a couple of the buildings that should be done soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    I see that Tahiti is your favorite place there too Tikiman.

Very nice post. I'm quickly starting to agree with you on this one about the Poly. While value resorts are in my budget, my experiences in simply visiting the Poly and then staying there - wonderful.

There is also a major rehab going on of a couple of the buildings that should be done soon.
    Aloha BigPigletFan,

You know it is funny you say that Tahiti is my favorite. Many keep saying that. I guess I need to edit my Tahiti comments a little. Tahiti is my favorite for a lagoon or Magic Kingdom view room (non-concierge) but it would be much lower on my favorite list if I were speaking of a garden view room. Not that the garden view room in Tahiti is bad but it is no where near the best. Tokelau would take the number one spot for best garden view room. Hawaii would be the best location but it is concierge only.

Yes they have redone just about everything. The only thing left is for them to redo the front desk in the lobby, replace the furniture in the Great Ceremonial House, open back up the NEW Captain Cook’s and finish the last two buildings (Tahiti and Tokelau) Tokelau is going to open some of the rooms this week hopefully and Tahiti should be done in November.

Glad you enjoy the Polynesian also.

Aloha

Steve
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

• New Old Member

Tikiman,

Read all of your posts and your on the money. Polynesian is one I enjoy tons also. I love the islands and that is where my other vacations usually take me, although the past two years I throw is something different like San Francisco or Tuscon. Still two trips every year to WDW though.

Question: Why bother going to the Swan? Dolphin/Swan, same thing. They are notowned by Disney and even though they just did a redo and have some descent prices, they don't give that Disney feel. They like to cater to the business crowd. If your going to Epcot and want to save some bucks I guess its OK. Boardwalk, I have been there three times now (when going to Epcot) and enjoy it, night time entertainment is a blast. You can see the fireworks going off at Epcot and MK, with Epcot being right there. Great places to eat also but then again if you stay at the Dolphin/Swan you can just take a walk around the lake.

At the Boardwalk I have been in a courtyard room on the third floor with a great view of the big EPCOT ball and the night time fireworks. Also stayed in a room with a view of the lake and the night time action. Both great rooms but the courtyard is alot quiter.

Quote Originally Posted by herb2linda View Post
    Tikiman,

Read all of your posts and your on the money. Polynesian is one I enjoy tons also. I love the islands and that is where my other vacations usually take me, although the past two years I throw is something different like San Francisco or Tuscon. Still two trips every year to WDW though.

Question: Why bother going to the Swan? Dolphin/Swan, same thing. They are notowned by Disney and even though they just did a redo and have some descent prices, they don't give that Disney feel. They like to cater to the business crowd. If your going to Epcot and want to save some bucks I guess its OK. Boardwalk, I have been there three times now (when going to Epcot) and enjoy it, night time entertainment is a blast. You can see the fireworks going off at Epcot and MK, with Epcot being right there. Great places to eat also but then again if you stay at the Dolphin/Swan you can just take a walk around the lake.

At the Boardwalk I have been in a courtyard room on the third floor with a great view of the big EPCOT ball and the night time fireworks. Also stayed in a room with a view of the lake and the night time action. Both great rooms but the courtyard is alot quiter.
    Well I like to try or at least visit a resort before I have an opinion on it and I hear the Swan is different than the Dolphin. Also we have tons of Starwood points so we can try it for free.

I think I will like Boardwalk’s location but so far the decore is not my style. I know we enjoyed the nightlife and food over there when we stayed at the YC and we could see the fireworks from our room at the YC also.

Thanks for the info on the Boardwalk.

Aloha

Steve
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

My favorites are the Yacht and Beach Clubs. They have some of the best restaurants, pools and views. The Boardwalk is across the lagoon and you have easy access to Epcot.

Even if you don't stay there- don't miss the Grand Floridian. I think it's the most beautiful building in WDW. It's a perfect reproduction of the grand hotels of Florida back in the early 1900s. Even the boats that ferry guests around the lagoon are reproductions of the boats used back then.

The restaurants are first-rate at the GF.
    Last edited by paddyo; 09-28-2006 at 07:27 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
    I think it's the most beautiful building in WDW. It's a perfect reproduction of the grand hotels of Florida back in the early 1900s.
    Erm, isn't it a reproduction of Hotel del Coronado? Could have sworn that was where the idea came from.

^^Yes. That was where the inspiration for the look came from.

I always understood that it was a composite inspired by a number of hotels of the period.

It reminds me most of the Del Cornado (the roofs and color.) There was a similar hotel on the west coast of Florida (still there- I can't think of the name at the moment) and the Royal Poinciana Hotel of Palm Beach. It was the largest wooden structure in the world in its day. It had seven miles of corridors and shared many similarities with the GF.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Erm, isn't it a reproduction of Hotel del Coronado? Could have sworn that was where the idea came from.

Yes, the Del Coronado was the what it was modeled after. It is actually in many ways exactly the same design (from the outside). Even the designers of the GF have said this in interviews.
    DL 1975-2014
    WDW 1984-2014

Grand Floridian fan here. Well actually I'd love to try other resorts (as a kid stayed twice at the Contemporary). But I made the "mistake" of taking my wife to GF the first time we visited WDW as a couple - and now she's hooked & won't stay anywhere else! I've created a GF monster!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12