Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• At Work

Question What new scenes would you add to American Adventure?

One of my favorite attractions at Epcot is American Adventure and in the past month I've wondered what new scenes I would add, so since I thought about it I'm sure others have! So, what new scenes would you add to American Adventure?

Please post! The new scenes can be changes/additions to the film segment or new animatronic scenes. Please keep time in mind as well, since the current show is already 29 minutes long. Also note if you would make changes to the soundtrack (though a requirement is that it must always end in golden dream).

Also a big note-- please don't make political statements (e.g. general finger pointing) it's about our history.

My addition:
    Since Sept 11th recently was remembered, my suggestion was to add a general purpose tragedy segment that highlights how the nation has held together in tough times. Things like the space shuttle disasters to 9/11 to Katrina.
    I personally would like to see an animontronic 9/11 scene where a few firefighters are standing next to a wall segment with an American flag.
    The segment would start with Mr. Franklin saying something about how the nation is bonded in times of disasters. Then some video projected onto a scrim while the 9/11 animontronic scene would cycle into place in the dark (behind the scrim). After the video the backstage/animontronic scene would be dimely lit (enough for people to make out the scene through the scrim and a spot light on the flag). After a minute or so a projected video of a large flag would appear again on the scrim and maybe some video segments of people hugging (maybe crying) and bonding as fellow Americans.
    I'm not sure how I would transition to the final (golden dream song) but it would happen through music.
    What would you do?

Edit: Please don't make this a "American Adventure should be closed" thread. Thx!
    Last edited by DisneyMan; 09-26-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

• Banned User

Re: What new scenes would you add to American Adventure?

I personally would close this attraction. EPCOT is about the possibilities of the future, not about drooling over miseries of the past. AmAd has become a mausoleum show and majorly a downer show for me. Close it for good.

• At Work

Thanks for your comments TDLFAN. Personally I think World Showcase isn't about the future but about the people that make up the world and the countries they are from.
    I surf MiceChat like I spend my time at Disneyland sitting on the bench and watch the people go by.

I think it runs a little long, but it is a very good show. It shows the basic "American Adventure", but it has been almost 15 years since the last update.

I think that all of the stories about different periods would better as a preshow or by period actors in the entrance rotunda (each at different times).

I think that some additions and changes to the final film should be done, (1945 on ) to showcase JFK, MLK, Jr. and Civil Rights, Korean and Vietnam Wars, Gulf War, 9-11, Changes to American Society, Technology, Working, Presidents, etc.

• At Work

Thanks Pancakesaregood! Great thoughts on some changes!

• My laughing place

I believe I saw the show once but that was a long time ago. Correct me if Im wrong but American Adventure is about the history of America..right?

I would say we could add a segment on how technology has revolutionized America (from 1970 onward to today)
    Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
    http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

• Say no to Assimilation

I hate to admit this, being a Histoy major and all, but they lose me after the "Two Brothers" song. I always fall asleep and wake up when the lights come on.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• At Work

tbminnie - While I love the "two brothers" song, I'd cut that segment to fill in\add more post 1940's stuff.

-mark

• At Work

DsnyFvr - I love the technology revolution point of view. Any idea how you would have that added? Have an AA of Asimo "walk" on stage and scare Mark Twain?

-mark

• Banned User

the show ends in the early 90's I believe so they have to add let's say 15 years of history. now if i remember right that includes the monica scandals, 9/11 and it's aftermath and of course katrina, wilma etal. Ido believe 9/11 should be in there and the towers should be taken out of the last scene because it is the defining moment of the millenium as well as a generation of americans. As a baby boomer I remember where I was when kennedy was shot as well as martin luther king I remember the chalenger, desert storm, and 9/11. my children will someday tell their children where they were that horrible day.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I personally would close this attraction. EPCOT is about the possibilities of the future, not about drooling over miseries of the past. AmAd has become a mausoleum show and majorly a downer show for me. Close it for good.
    Untrue, very untrue
    there is a reason they have FUTRE world and WORLD showcase
    It is SHOWCASING the different nations and cultures of the world
    Future world is about the possidbilities of the future
    this is why the park is split up

I agree with both sides: the add or destroy.

Add: It's been over a decade since it was updated! A lot has happened since 1982. I think they should add something about the 21st century besides "Our next century will definitely be a good one."

Destroy: It's boring! The only reason I go in there is to get out of the heat and to sleep.

But if they won't destroy it, add a 9/11 or Katrina or Columbia scene.

The American Adventure is one -- if not THE, best pieces of theme park entertainment ever created. It makes me feel patriotic, and under the current climate in our country that is no easy task. I always tear up ... and I am not that kind of guy.

That said, the show does need an updating.

Heck, if only to clean/install new film prints and edit out the WTC in the back of the Statue of Liberty.

WDI has talked about updating it but it presents a very real problem in that the past dozen years seem to have a whole lot more horrific events or just bad ones that great advances/steps for this country ... the first positive that came to mind immediately was the Mars rover and then the Millennium worldwide .... and those are week... while the terrorist attacks in Oklahoma City, NY, DC and Penn ... the wars they spawned ... the Monica Gate, the disputed 2000 election ... another shuttle disaster ... the major hurricanes etc ... see, there are a whole lot of bad things that you can't simply spin to be positive in any way shape or form (unless you're a Republican strategist or a Fox News Commentator) ... so I don't see anything happenning for a while.

•   

Cutting Two Brothers would be a mistake. We tend to forget that over 600,000 Americans died in the Civil War. Americans fighting Americans. That is bigger than 9/11 or anything that has happened in the last 15 years. We as human beings tend to focus on what we have personally experienced and obviously 9/11 and Katrina were big to us but in the overall history of the U.S. they are minor notes on the time line. AA is my favorite EPCOT attraction and I know it sanitizes history in a way that only Disney can do. It still represents how we got to where we are.
    Leonard
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. I REFUSE!"

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Cmash95 View Post
    the show ends in the early 90's I believe so they have to add let's say 15 years of history. now if i remember right that includes the monica scandals, 9/11 and it's aftermath and of course katrina, wilma etal. Ido believe 9/11 should be in there and the towers should be taken out of the last scene because it is the defining moment of the millenium as well as a generation of americans. As a baby boomer I remember where I was when kennedy was shot as well as martin luther king I remember the chalenger, desert storm, and 9/11. my children will someday tell their children where they were that horrible day.
    I wonder how the Imagineers can make all of that "family friendly" Especially the Monica scandal? Just have bill clinton smoke a cigar while theres commontion out of sight under the desk?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast