Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mermaid Lagoon Rumor?

I recently visited Screamscape.com, a site that meets mixed reviews here on this site, but I personally have found to be at least moderately reliable, and they mention a persistant rumor of adding Tokyo DisneySea's Mermaid Lagoon in a revised form to the Magic Kingdom, in the place of 20,000 Leagues.

The editor of the site claims to have received many messages claiming this rumor, which states that the announcement for the construction would come with the release of the Little Mermaid on DVD next week.

I would like to hear your thoughts, but first I thought I'd share some of my own...

Pro:
    The Magic Kingdom is in need of a descently themed children's play area/ general themed area, and the Mermaid Lagoon would fit in very well with this proposed location. Ariel's Grotto already occupies a location very close, which would provide an excellent lead in to a new attraction area.

According to eyewitnesses, Imagineers were conducting balloon tests over the site recently, I personally witnessed what appeared to be a preliminary land-site survey in that location when I was on my CP last year.

The Florida climate would merit the construction of a wholly indoor land, giving the visitors to the park a chance to get indoors without having to go on a specific attraction or going into a crowded merchandise location.

The Magic Kingdom has been receiving very few "plusses" in the last few years, getting smaller, cheaper additions instead. With the amounts of money thrown at the other parks, it is reasonable to assume that a similar amount was delegated to the Magic Kingdom, and that those funds may be in a state of savings to prepare for a new construction.

Cons:
    Currently the Magic Kingdom has both Mickey's Toontown Fair and Pooh's Playful Spot for children, which in managerial terms merits no further capital expending construction.

There have been no previous serious mention of this throughout the Walt Disney World community, which would suggest that this is truly just a wild rumor.

The construction of a full scale land on the scale of Mermaid Lagoon would be a serious investment for the company. With impending celebrations for Epcot's 25th, as well as Midway Mania and other such additions, it is unreasonable to assume that the Magic Kingdom would recieve the amount of funds needed for this.

The Little Mermaid is a marketable franchise, but without theatrical release, the reception to the introduction of the DVD will be limited. I would anticipate an "observation" period, where Disney will watch the reaction to the release.

Many such rumors like this have existed before, ranging from the renovation of Space Mountain to the addition of Raging Spirits, and so far, all have come to not.

Those are just a few of my differing perspectives on this rumor. I personally feel that it is just a flight of fancy, but I would see the addition of a land like this to be very positive for the park. A mermaid-themed addition would add a sense of pure fantasy to the park which has had a very strong identity crisis as of late. So in the end, while it would be a good addition, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Mermaid Lagoon Rumor?

I don't think they'll do it. They went through all the trouble of removing the 20K lagoon and if they intended to use it for anything else or make another one they wouldn't have removed it, they would have just cleared it out or whatever.

Blog Entries

removing the lagoon actually has nothing to do with this rumor. The mermaid lagoon in Tokyo doesn't actually have a lagoon. I've heard about this as well and we've discussed it on another site. The site available after the removal of 20k is huge. It's actually big enough that they could add a modified version of this and still add the E-ticket attraction in a few years that I keep hearing rumors of.

I think we're going to get something there, and this is one of the options from the sources I've heard from, but it's not set in stone of course. There's several rumors of what might go here from this lagoon, to the mermaid ride that never got built, to some unreleased major e-ticket ride in this spot as well. We'll just have to wait and see. I do know that there's another big press release in New York on October 18th, but I don't know if this would be released then or not.

I would love to see Mermaid Lagoon go in at Magic Kingdom....... but only if they do it on a grand scale like the one at TDS. It would be so dissappointing to have a cheap imitation full of budget cuts get built. I can be patient with the empty plot of land until they have the budget to do it right!

• Disney Prince

well considering, the DVD is coming out with a special feature on the original ride that never got built, plus the broadway musical and another sequel coming out next year....

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Sorry. My mistake. I still think it's weird that they took out the lagoon and would built something called Mermaid Lagoon with no water. I know that's how it is at TDS but I just think the 20K lagoon should've been GUTTED but still left in place.

• Shablagoo!

I'm all for it if they do it. However, they had better not go cheap on it. I don't want to hear how the one at WDW pales in comparison to the one in Tokyo. This would be a great chance for WDW to shine, so they had better do it right.

• Banned User

On opening day in 2001, Pressler called TDS' Mermaid Lagoon "the most accomplished themed area ever built in a Disney theme park". Then again, what did he know about running a Disney park???

• Yes?

Wow! I just went over to TDS website to take a look at what this Mermaid Lagoon is...That is like a whole land! I would love to see it happen at WDW but that is pretty massive.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think they'd sooner build a real Toontown. I don't think the Mermaid has as much money left in it as one might believe. Walt's characters are timeless.

• Disney Prince

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I think they'd sooner build a real Toontown. I don't think the Mermaid has as much money left in it as one might believe. Walt's characters are timeless.

well the Little Mermaid has been the most requested disney dvd for a long time now, plus the broadway musical is coming out soon. Ariel is also the most popular Disney princess. And isn't Toontown more rooted with Roger Rabbit? where is he now again?

anyway i doubt they'd build Mermaid Lagoon at all, I think it's gonna be the dark ride that was planned originally for Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad View Post
    anyway i doubt they'd build Mermaid Lagoon at all, I think it's gonna be the dark ride that was planned originally for Paris.
    See now, this is where I would imagine that Mermaid Lagoon would be beneficial for Disney to build. In essence, Mermaid Lagoon is a large Warehouse-type structure that is heavily themed with smaller flat attractions and a child's roller coaster. If you think about it, it could be done relatively inexpensive. Now I don't mean cheap, I don't mean cut backs and the like. The plans are already complete, and the rides themselves are prefab, plus, Disney gets the added bonus of one, maybe two more gift shops in the new area, leading to the land litterally paying for itself in the long run. A dark ride would bring in people for the novelty, but a new land would ensure an increase in profit potential, which has to appear favorable to the Disney management.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    Wow! I just went over to TDS website to take a look at what this Mermaid Lagoon is...That is like a whole land!
    Well, IT IS a whole land of the park, but we don't call them "lands" at TDS. We call them "Ports". As in port by the sea?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I think they'd sooner build a real Toontown.
    Doubtful. They concider Toontown Fair a "real" Toontown at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by stitcharielsinbad
    And isn't Toontown more rooted with Roger Rabbit? where is he now again?
    Roger has a major ride in that area but the classic characters "live" there as well. As for Roger, he is performing nightly at TDL, as part of Dreamlights parade.

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV
    Mermaid Lagoon is a large Warehouse-type structure that is heavily themed with smaller flat attractions and a child's roller coaster.
    Ah.. but the real indoor (warehouse) Mermaid Lagoon area is just as, if
    not bigger than DL's Toontown, and includes a huge playground, a huge counter service restauarnt, a huge souvenir shop, and a huge theater that accomodates hundreds of guests. The warehouse is alomst 4 or 5 stories high all by itself. Furthermore... the "child" coaster you mentioned is OUTSIDE of the warehouse area, as is another ride and the Ariel grotto. I don't think anyone here realizes what a HUGE area the entire Mermaid Lagoon covers at TDS.

Bottom line is.. if we did get something like that at the MK, it would be almost as big as the actual Fantasyland area as we know it know. And if we did indeed get a Mermaid Lagoon area at the MK's FL, it would be way watered down. Reason why I am not much into this idea. Do it well or not at all.

TDLFAN, I actually am well aware of the size and scope of Mermaid Lagoon at TDS. I've studied the design of all the Disney (and many other) theme parks over the last decade, and I try my best to be as thoroughly knowledgeable as I can.

I was trying to simplify the overall design and construction, but I admit that I definetly oversimplified. It is a very large construction, and the capital investment would be great.

The main point I was trying to make is that with the dining and shopping opportunities, MK could use the new land as a money-making enhancement.

Thanks for pointing out the complexity of Mermaid Lagoon, I will try to be more comprehensive in the future.

DoppelV

This is just an Internet rumor with little or no substance.

There is no Mermaid Lagoon or LM attraction (sadly) coming to the MK.
    Disney isn't going to build the massive type structure required for it.

They haven't done anything on that scale since the orginal EPCOT Center pavilions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast