Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Al's Column: What about WDW?

I read today's column and I am legitimately excited for all the DL fans out there. Any time Disney decides to pour money into the parks and make them better, I'm happy about that. But as has been covered in the past, I'm a WDW person. I've always lived out east, and WDW has always been my Disney experience (I did visit DL once many moons ago).

So, does anyone know if there is any indication that WDW might get even a fraction of the TLC that is being shown to Anaheim? Let's face it, WDW draws more visitors, and for all intents and purposes it really is the "flagship" resort. And as we catalog ad nauseum on these boards, the place needs some work. Reportedly, Lasseter doesn't give a flip about WDW.

Is there a long-term plan for WDW? Are we just out of luck? Is there any relief in sight? Can anyone shed any light on what's happeining behind closed doors?
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Al's Column: What about WDW?

Everyone knows WDW is the flagship resort, but Disneyland has had a lot more attention lately because of it standards being re-gained after He Who Shall Not Be Named basically urinated all over them in the 90s, the 50th, and the re-newed interest of WDI in the resort. With the standards dropping at WDW for the past few years (although we are seeing many signs of a magic renewal of sorts at WDW lately), it could be that the spotlight goes back to WDW pretty soon.

Al in particular reports mostly on Disneyland, because simply, that is his speciality. His contacts are in Team Disney Anaheim, not Team Disney Orlando.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

I can appreciate that DL was overdue for it, and obviously DCA needs all sorts of help, but it just seems like now everything is all DLR and nothing WDW. Even The Seas with Nemo, which I'm excited about because it is something new and fresh for Epcot, seems like an afterthought when compared to DL's Nemo sub voyage, much like WDW's POTC refurb was an afterthought to DL's refurb.
    --John Lasseter

• The one, the only...

I was wondering what WDW was getting too. MK really needs some TLC to just KEEP UP with things, let alone add major new attractions.

I think it has to come down to Disney management. Orlando has management committees who know how to STOP any ideas for improvement for the parks. NO GOOD IDEAS seem to come from them, but they know how to shoot down any ideas that come around.

I call for new management at Orlando. Jay Rassulo is destroying Disney magic not making it. Planning needs to start right now for Epcot's 25th anniversary, but nothing seems to be rolled out. MK needs at least one E ticket added to it. All the activity that Disneyland is getting should be for EVERY WDW park. But as it is, Disneyland is getting much more, not because of the 50th. (That celebration is over!) But because of BAD decisions of Disney upper management.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I'm sure Kevin will write something soon about it.

• Banned User

yea but Kevin never talks about what new attractions are planed for the parks! I want to know what changes are in store for the resort!

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I call for new management at Orlando. Jay Rassulo is destroying Disney magic not making it. Planning needs to start right now for Epcot's 25th anniversary, but nothing seems to be rolled out. MK needs at least one E ticket added to it. All the activity that Disneyland is getting should be for EVERY WDW park. But as it is, Disneyland is getting much more, not because of the 50th. (That celebration is over!) But because of BAD decisions of Disney upper management.
    WDW did just get new management, only very recently. I'd give them six months or so to see a difference before you ask for even newer management.

I've already seen pleasant results which may or may not be attributed to Meg Crofton and Erin Wallace. Custodial at the Magic Kingdom is on the up, and the new castle show looks like a return to classic Disney entertainment.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Blog Entries

Al did report a while back that many managers from WDW recently visited DL and saw how much better things like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise were there and have decided to bring us up to par over the next few years. There's been a ton of rumors of refurbs a plenty for us over the next few years. We'll just have to wait and see if they come true.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

To be fair to WDW Im sure plenty of new attractions are in the works for Orlando.Just because we havn't heard anything doesn't mean a thing,in fact its usually when things are quiet that something is happening.The only attraction that has recieved a greenlight in Anaheim is the Midway Madness attraction that is also being built out East so its not like we're being hard done by,also Animal Kingdom only this year opened Expedition Everest so its not like we've not had anything new in the last few years.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Just like to add that while the line up of new attractions in recent years have been impressive there is other areas where the money should go.

Speedway, That's a good point and I know not to expect anything overnight. It may take time to let the new management find their feet. And I also applaud the "little things" like keeping MK clean (which isn't really a little thing at all). I also recognize that we have rec'd a few new attractions at WDW like EE and Nemo and the Nemo show at DAK. But there's not a cohesive plan driving it.

What I'd really like to see is some declared long-term commitment to quality and vision -- "we will continue to build quality attractions at DAK and 'finish' that park, we will refurbish/upgrade/improve aging attractions like HM, Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise and Star Tours, will will replace/reopoen WoL in a way that affirms Epcot's vision of blending education and entertainment. We will develop new, innovative attractions based on popular properties like Cars, Narnia, and Incredibles. We won't do all of these things in one year. But we are committed to doing them over the next several years so that WDW remains the premier family resort in the world."

That's what I want.
    --John Lasseter

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Al did report a while back that many managers from WDW recently visited DL and saw how much better things like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise were there and have decided to bring us up to par over the next few years. There's been a ton of rumors of refurbs a plenty for us over the next few years. We'll just have to wait and see if they come true.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember that report. I hope it's true because that would be great news.
    --John Lasseter

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

I still wanna go to DLR some day to see the difference ...i only know WDW ..love it to death but i wanna see the big difference on how the same rides like JC and HM are run

• Minion

ORDDU: As far as my sisters and I are concerned, Disneyland is the REAL 'Flagship' of Disney Theme parks--mostly because Walt Disney, himself, was the one to create it. So, saying that everyone knows that Walt Disney World is the Flagship is only a matter of opinion.

ORWEN: We fly back and forth to both parks but Disneyland is the most charming of the two--for us. We enjoy Walt Disney World for what it is, of course. But nothing will ever top Disneyland for us.

ORGOCH: Got frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: As far as my sisters and I are concerned, Disneyland is the REAL 'Flagship' of Disney Theme parks--mostly because Walt Disney, himself, was the one to create it. So, saying that everyone knows that Walt Disney World is the Flagship is only a matter of opinion.

ORWEN: We fly back and forth to both parks but Disneyland is the most charming of the two--for us. We enjoy Walt Disney World for what it is, of course. But nothing will ever top Disneyland for us.

ORGOCH: Got frogs?
    Hmmm, I don't know, I don't think it is just a matter of opinion. The US Navy would not name the oldest ship in the fleet as flagship, they would choose the one best suited to fight and the most prestigious. Disneyland is the nostalgic favorite, but in terms of numbers of visitors and expansion/development potential, WDW surpasses all of the other Disney properties. They have the land and the consumer base to continue to be Disney's most profitable property for a great long while.

Also, I think that if Walt had lived to see WDW, he would agree that it is the flagship property of the chain, Walt loved Disneyland, but it's clear to see that he had a lot of regrets about that particular property, for that reason above any other, he could have used WDW as his new playground, and created a whole new experience that unfortunately hasn't yet come to pass.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast