"Year of a Million Dreams" Winners to WDW

Despite the obvious lack of fan fare the media has obviously picked up on it with this recent article: http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/04/dis....ap/index.html

Sound's like fun to me!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: "Year of a Million Dreams" Winners to WDW

Okay this thing officially started on Sunday but these people were notified 3 weeks ago they won? WTF?

Yeah ... and what are the odds that Disney's 'winners' would be a white-bread, mid-western family of four? Shocking ...

• Having a Grand Day!

If I was them, I would have told that Mouse to go back and get Donald and Daisy.

A cute event, but this does highlight the inequality that the YOAMD is going to create, especially the other 99.9% of people who missed out, especially those just because they didn't fit Disney's "image" of wholsome family.

Anyway, more info avaliable at http://www.wdwnews.com/.

• Disneyholic

Well that explains all the year of a housand dreams mouse ears we saw starting Sunday, the caps are light blue with clouds and have shiny chrome ears.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Well that explains all the year of a housand dreams mouse ears we saw starting Sunday, the caps are light blue with clouds and have shiny chrome ears.
    My hand-rhinestoned Mickey ears are probably spiffier than those!

And since I go to the parks alone, of course I won't get "randomly" picked for any "dreams".

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Okay this thing officially started on Sunday but these people were notified 3 weeks ago they won? WTF?
    Aren't these people winners of another online contest that's not directly tied with the Million Dreams theme?

...and what are the odds that Disney's 'winners' would be a white-bread, mid-western family of four?
    I have a huge problem with this, too. Sometimes stuff that's too good to be true - isn't.

• Banned User

it was for the kickoff and supposedly totally random. but i never win anything so I doubt i will get anything for this yearlong deal.

Cool Re: "Year of a Million Dreams" Winners to WDW

I saw the video of this, and all I have to say is...creepy. I mean, it sounds cool to be able the first in line to space mountain/splash mountain/etc, but with a million cameras all focused on you all morning long, and hundreds of castmembers staring at you. I think part of the magic is experiencing it with complete strangers that makes all the difference. It's kind of like going to see a musical, a play, or even a movie. It's eerie to see a show, and be the only one in the theater. At least for me it is.

I like the comment the young lady made: "Where's all the people?"

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post

I have a huge problem with this, too. Sometimes stuff that's too good to be true - isn't.

So you agree that Disney's typical 'winners' all seem to fit a certain profile, right?

I gave you kudos on anothersite.com for your brave stance to suggest that it is very convenient that Disney never has diverse winners in its publicity events ... nope, not a pair of lesbians that own a farm in Vermont, or perhaps a fat, divorced, Hispanic mother of six from Queens ... or a couple of Jewish seniors from Miami Beach ... what about a nice young couple without kids in their 20s ... Justin and Brian?

Nope ... I'm sure Disney's 'winners' are all legit...just as I'm sure Disney PR didn't write the winners quotes either .

Quote Originally Posted by cmattson22 View Post
    I saw the video of this, and all I have to say is...creepy.

I like the comment the young lady made: "Where's all the people?"
    Myself and a friend were at a very exclusive Private Party at Disneyland once, and it turned out that while there was a "mandatory" event that all participants were to attend for about 90 minutes during the party...that all the attractions would still be manned and operating while everyone was attending it.

So we ditched the event and literally had the entire Park and all the attractions to ourselves...just the 2 of us!

Now...I've been in the Park "after hours" dozens of times, so it was no big deal for me to see Disneyland completely empty. But it was a big deal and indeed sorta creepy to have all these Cast Members standing around manning their stations and operating the attractions...with nobody around (except us). It was a very weird feeling...both fun and also strangely quiet being the only ones on the attractions and in entire areas!

Honestly...I don't think I'd want the whole place to myself for more than a couple of hours, tops. It's just too...as you speculated...creepy.