• Banned User

Admiral Joe Fowler and Richard F. Irvine Steamboats

Whatever did happen to the Admiral Joe Fowler and Richard F. Irvine steamboats, which used to ply the Rivers of America in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World?

The Richard F Irvine was re-named the Liberty Bell in '96 and the Jow Fowler had an accident in the early 80s and then sat in dry dock behind the North Service area for 15 years before being scrapped.

They did rename two Seven Seas Lagoon Ferry launches after Joe and Dick though.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz
    The Richard F Irvine was re-named the Liberty Bell in '96 and the Jow Fowler had an accident in the early 80s and then sat in dry dock behind the North Service area for 15 years before being scrapped.

They did rename two Seven Seas Lagoon Ferry launches after Joe and Dick though.
    Thank you for that answer. I'm glad they at least renamed two Seven Seas Lagoon Ferries (my favorite way to get to the Magic Kingdom from the TTC) with these names.

By the way, you don't know what the accident entailed, do you?
    Last edited by Adventurer; 05-07-2005 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer

By the way, you don't know what the accident entailed, do you?
    No, I just know the hull was damaged. I saw it backstage sitting in drydock in the early 90s--ten years after the accident.

^^^I believe it was dropped when they were working on it. If not, that's a common CM myth floating around.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    ^^^I believe it was dropped when they were working on it. If not, that's a common CM myth floating around.
    Thats what is also the internet rumor.... who knows... thy havn't come out and sai it publicaly...

I would believe the "accident" happening backstage... makes sence...

(I would love to get "part" of the scrapped boat... a rumor said the motors from that boat was sent to tokyo...)

• Banned User

Here's info I found:

In 1980, The Admiral Joe Fowler was taken to dry dock for routine rehab. While the boat was being lifted by crane, it slipped and the hull was completely destroyed. The boat was then retired due to "mechanical problems". The broken boat was taken to the backstage "bone yard" for awhile before being buried somewhere on the property.

• Banned User

I don't think it was buried, but the wood was used to build the many food/bev stands around WDW's parks.

If it happened today, they'd be auctioning the planks on ebay.