WDW--where to stay?

My husband and I are thinking about going to WDW in late october. We are doing it on a budget and are looking for a place outside the park to stay. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, has anyone ever traveled to and from the park using hotel shuttles? Any advice for Disney on the cheap would be appreciated. Hope this is the right spot.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Re: WDW--where to stay?

My husband and I usually stay at the Doubletree Club in Lake Buena Vista. It's extremely close to property (right down the block from Downtown Disney), one of their Good Neighbor hotels, and the service is excellent. However, it is going to be about $100 a night (maybe less in the off-season? I'd check online). They also have a shuttle service.

You might be able to find cheaper hotels in Lake Buena Vista. That's all I've got for now, but good luck!
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. It's a really good place to stay. I thought that it was a really good Disney hotel.

I'd recommend the Grosvenor. It's right across from the Disney Village and if you don't have a car, the hotel has a shuttle. You can also walk across to Downtown Disney and take a bus from there to the resorts if you want to eat at one of their restaurants.

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I thought of another idea for doing Disney cheap- this one regarding merchandise. I don't know if you've been to the parks before or not, but you can buy pretty much any item in the park at one of the stores in Downtown Disney.
    I'd suggest, unless it's an item that needs personalization (which is only available at certain locations), you wait until later to buy your souvenirs there. This keeps your hands free when you're playing in the parks, and also helps cut down on any impulse purchases. When Ido this, Iknow how much money I have left at the end of the trip to spend.
    Just something that's helped me out.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions