Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• xmanmom

Re: My First WDW Trip (Sept. 28-Oct. 5) *Pictures*

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmGreen View Post
    best trip report ever
    Thanks and have an awesome time on your first ever trip!! You leave tomorrow!!

I knew if they kept Maelstrom open enough years, eventually SOMEONE would come along and like it!
    Well, you have to admit, after El Rio del Tiempo it is a joy to behold! It's not the best ride ever, but I thought the trolls were cute and being turned around in the ride was rather clever. It's the best attraction in World Showcase, imho.

it was so much fun meeting you and I can't wait to here how ohana was. the next time I go to california you two will have to come down and spend the day at DLR. that would be so much fun!!!!
    It was great meeting you and figment too! Definitely let us know the next time you are in Cali and we will try and make it! Now I need to go post our Meet!

• Happy Memories

Great report so far! Looks like you had a really great trip. I'm jealous that you stayed at AKL. That place is beautiful!

Great report so far! I can't wait for the rest.

• xmanmom

Day 3

We woke up a bit earlier than the day before but still later than I would have liked. We were fairly hungry so I went down to The Mara and picked up a breakfast platter for Geoff and I to split. Here is my half, not too shabby on the portions and pretty tasty. Standing in line at 10:30 am was not too fun though, crazy busy in there at that time.

This was as close as I got to the Grand Floridian my whole trip. View from in front of the Magic Kingdom.

We got into the park about noon and had just enough time to go to see the Hall of Presidents, ride Splash and take pictures of the castle before our 1pm Meet.

We headed over to Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe in Tomorrowland shortly before 1 and I staked out some seats while Geoff went to get us food. I waited and waited for some MiceChatters to show and luckily I had SummerinFL's number or I would have never found them because it turns out that I was sitting not too far from them the whole time! Duh, I guess I am not too observant.

Anyway, I was so happy to finally find them that I completely forgot to take pictures of our food. It was good, I had the chicken and ribs platter and Geoff had the BBQ pork sandwich, the desserts were nothing special and the lines were insane. So all in all, okay, but I would wait for a less busy time.

The Meet, however, was fun and it was exciting to get to converse with some non-California MiceChatters. As previously mentioned, Summer was there as was figment1986 and his mom, Cmash95, Jerren and his family (all the way from Maryland) and Bill.

After lunch, we split from the group for a bit and did everything in Tomorrowland. Including the Peoplemover (I know, TTA, but let me be nostalgic about the ride from my youth). My slightly lopsided view of TL from the ride.

After we finished TL we had a little time to kill before we were supposed to meet back up with the MiceChatters at Jungle Cruise, so we decided to take a spin on Pirates and I *just* missed being run over by Jack Sparrow. He would have been in trouble if I could have caught him. So, we met back up with the MiceChat crew at JC to get our special tour from our very own tloolgb.

We were also joined on this trip by the famous (infamous?) Witches of Morva with my fiance looking puzzled in the background. Heh.

I loved the temple, which we don't have at DL, and took lots of Elephant pictures.

The ride was great and our MC Skipper did a fabulous job. After that we had to bid adieu to the MiceChat crew as we had ressies over at 'Ohana.

We had some time to kill while they were prepping our table so we indulged in some tasty tropical drinks and Geoff got his football fix at the bar.

Finally it was time! We had seat directly across from the cooking area and in the line of fire of all the maraca weilding children, which we thought was cute on the first pass but they went by THREE times. Oy!

The first course foods were excellent. I loved the salad and the wings especially. I had issues with the peel and eat shrimp both here and at Hollywood and Vine, I was always taught that you don't eat shrimp unless it has been deveined and I guess they wouldn't serve it if it made you sick. I tried, but I guess I just had a mental block.

I was a little dissapointed that they don't give you a clean plate for the main course, therefore the entrees in this picture don't look too appetizing. I can assure you, however that all of the meats were tasty and I liked the turkey and sausage the best. The potatoes were to die for, as reported.

The best part, however, was the bread pudding with banana's foster sauce and I don't typically like bread pudding OR bananas. It was heavenly.

After dinner we were fairly wiped out so we headed back to AKL to swim and explore the resort. I took this picture of the playground sign just for Hakuna Makarla because she was so insistent that I take lots of pictures!

We returned to our room to find the first of many cute little towel creations left for us by Mousekeeping.

We then dressed it up a bit with some of our acquisitions from the past few days.

Next: Day 4 - Animal Kingdom Park and Boma

• Wish I was in WDW..

I am loving this report so far!! I cant wait for day four!

-Nikki

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    Is that... ChernaGOOF!?

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Is that... ChernaGOOF!?
    'Tis indeed!

• Minion

Lovin' it...great job!
    "Happiness is a state of mind...." Walt Disney

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

thmar

• World Traveler

Wow! A special JC tour! I'll have to join you all in a future trip!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Awesome trip report...

I am so glad you enjoyed Ohana's. It is my most favorite restaurant in the entire WDW. I was just down in WDW last March and I made sure to take my friends there as they have never experienced it. Let me tell you that everyone enjoyed it.

Also, in regards to the shrimp, I am pretty sure they do split the shell and devain them, because I remember being able to pry the shell from the back, and peel the legs off in one fell swoop. I should know, I think the last time I was there I had about 35 shrimp... LOL!!! Thats how much I love them.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Cant wait for the rest of your trip report.

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Also, in regards to the shrimp, I am pretty sure they do split the shell and devain them, because I remember being able to pry the shell from the back, and peel the legs off in one fell swoop.
    Maybe I was just unlucky then because mine still had their vein (vain?), I tried to pull it out with my fork but I just ended up making a bigger mess and getting my fork all contaminated with shrimp poopy. Gross, I know. Sorry to be so graphic, but after seeing that I couldn't eat them. I did eat one and I just couldn't enjoy it after that, so I stopped.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

what is maelstorm?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    what is maelstorm?
    Maelstrom is a ride in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot. I would say that it is somewhat like Pirates in that it is a slow moving boat ride with a couple of unexpected small drops along the way. It basically tells the story of the people of Norway with a little troll whimsy thrown in for good measure.

This report is great! I'm so excited for my trip in 2 weeks now!!
    November 1996. Surprise birthday trip

April 1998

April 2000

November 2003

February 2005

November 2006. My 21st birthday trip to the Grand Floridian

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse". Walt Disney

• xmanmom

Day 4

This was the only day we actually made it to a park before opening. (I told ya'll that we were sleepers, but no one believed me! ) We were quite excited about the prospect of Disney's Animal Kingdom since we are huge animal lovers. I know most people say this is only a half day park but we actually spent two whole operating days in the park and absolutely loved it.

First thing we did, of course, was walk all the way to Asia (and boy were our legs tired, yuk yuk) and get fastpasses for Expedition Everest, by the time we got there after rope drop the standby queue was already up to 30 minutes and fastpass return was for 10:15 (it was only 9:07 at that point). This photo is one of my favorites of the whole trip, the theming here is just gorgeous.

We spent some time at the Maharajah Jungle Trek looking at all the amazing animals and their beautiful habitats. We have visited a lot of zoos and wild animal parks and I truly think that AK had some of the best habitats that I have ever seen and some amazing theming around the habitats. This guy was really interested in me, I think I looked like breakfast.

We spent a good long time with the tigers.

Can you spot both tigers in this picture?

A few of the incredible murals on the walls surrounding the tiger habitat.

All three of these beauties taking a cat nap.

This one was restless a lot, which I was happy about because I got some amazing pictures of her.

The tiger fountain that, sadly, we never got to see them frolic in.

In another habitat, which cleverly looked like it was connected to the tigers, but of course was not, were many different types of hooved animals.

I love how they have a chicken exit before the bat exhibit.

I could see how people would be freaked out, however, because these guys were HUGE and there is no glass between you and them.

The fountain in the aviary.

A cute little guy foraging for twigs for his nest.

Finally it was time to head back to Everest but not before picking up Kali fastpasses, getting some delicious iced tea (soooo good, I am drooling just thinking about it) from the tea shop and taking in the antics of the monkeys.

I can't say enough about just how amazing Everest is, it is so beautiful and lends such an amazing atmosphere to the whole park. I can't imagine how it must have looked without it. I think they really did an incredible job and I thought the ride was amazing too. Geoff said that it might be his favorite Disney ride overall.

The steam at the back of the train was in full effect.

Up the lift hill.

At the top of the mountain.

We had a little time to kill before our Kali fastpasses so we took in the bird show. It was really quite good and the pictures below are just a few of the MANY birds you get to see in action.

Didn't take many pictures of Kali River Rapids since I didn't want to get my camera wet, but it was a fun ride, if not as good as Grizzly at DCA. I am telling you, on a hot day, I do not need the added heat of a burning rainforest. Ack! I can never pass up pictures of elephants, however.

We headed over to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch. I had the rib platter and Geoff had the BBQ pork sandwich. I loved that it had corn on the cob and the beans were delish. The best park was the excellent chocolate cake for dessert.

Actually, the absolute best part of Flame Tree was where we sat, this little covered porch area right on the water with a great view of Everest. As an added bonus a boat filled with characters floated by to say hello. This seating area is a bit hard to find but paradise once you do.

We ended our day by heading over to Dinoland to ride Dinosaur and Primevil Whirl, and then watched Festival of the Lion King and the Jammin' in the Jungle Parade (still can't get that song out of my head), but since this is already pretty long and I didn't take many pictures on Day 7 when we went back, I will save them for that report.

Oh, one funny story that I sadly have no picture to accompany it, was that Summer gave me a birthday button the day before because my birthday was on the 11th. So I wore it at Magic Kingdom the day before and I got a lot of Happy Birthdays and a DVC Cast Member at the Polynesian called me over and made sure Goofy wished me a happy one via the phone. But the best timed Birthday greeting was as we were leaving Camp Minnie Mickey and I was leaving a message for my best friend whose birthday was actually THAT very day. Suddenly a Cast Member loudly wished me "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" and handed me a birthday button, so I asked if he would wish my friend the same and he broke out, in a lovely voice, with an amazing rendition of Happy Birthday to You, ending it with "Happy Birthday, dear princess". When she called me back later she couldn't stop laughing and she was convinced that I had set all of that up before calling her but I had to assure her that it was all serendipity and Disney Magic.

We did get a picture with Safari Mickey that I will share before moving on to our dinner at Boma.

We headed back to AKL for our ressies at Boma and it was every bit as good as we have heard and more!

Because I had my birthday button they gave me a special card for my birthday which is signed by all of their cultural representatives from Africa.

Our waiter, Seth, was AMAZING!! He suggested these new Bluetinis (with glowcubes), that were excellent...plus he did a little "Birthday Martini Shaker Dance" standing on a chair by the table. He was hilarious and very attentive and made my "Disney Birthday Dinner" very special. Yet another commendation letter I need to write!

The food was incredible, I stuffed myself absolutely silly. Here are a few of the starters, the carrot/ginger soup and my main dishes. I can't even tell you everything I ate but it was all absolutely delicious.

I went to get desserts too before realizing that Seth had another surprise up his sleeve. Is there a level of full beyond stuffed? Once again, everything was heavenly. We loved it so much that we went immediately to concierge after dinner and booked a breakfast at Boma for Tuesday morning.

Two very blissed out diners who needed to be rolled out of the restaurant.

We spent the rest of the evening exploring the hotel some more, watching giraffes feeding in the savannah, staring at sleeping flamingos, doing laundry and trying to recouperate from dinner. Sadly, everytime we went to the Lodge savannah it was after dark so I couldn't get good pictures. However, we did come home to our room to find that some of the animals had been restless and wanted to watch Classic Disney Cartoons.

Next: Day 5 - More MGM and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast