View Poll Results: Is Today's Version of EPCOT and insult to Walt's ideas?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I should be commuting on the People Mover!

12 36.36%
  • No, a real EPCOT would not be possible then or now!

21 63.64%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• ISTC Instructor

Building the Real EPCOT

So I've often thought why hasn't anyone picked up Walt's real plan for EPCOT. I know still some things could be far feched such as a giant glass dome over a downtown shopping area that is built upon parrking garages over a freeway, but I think it should be looked at again. I would love to move into a experimental prototype community of tomorrow. The technology would probably be differnent than that of Walt's original plan, but EPCOT was supose to always be showcasing futuristic technology in it's city.

Does any one know if building an actual EPCOT is being looked at by anyone. Can anyone posts some links or information. Hey does anyone want to head this project up?

-Doc

• Banned User

Re: Building the Real EPCOT

That's what Celebration, FL is.

• Minion

I think it would be cool to use some of the ideas Walt had for EPCOT in modern city planning. Don't know that it's practical to build EPCOT exactly the way he wanted, and don't know if anyone is looking into it at this time.

I would love to find a website, book, or other source, that has more detailed info on EPCOT than what's currently out there. Maybe some detailed architectural plans -if they exist- might be fun to look at.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a cool site that covers the history of EPCOT and has a video of Walt talking about it:
    http://www.waltopia.com/

The 24 minute video can also be found on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3p...elated&search=

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by captsmith84 View Post
    That's what Celebration, FL is.
    Celebration IS nice but why do I always think of the Stepford Wives when I see it? The Stepford Village.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Well, Celebration is what Epcot was supposed to be only in the fact that it's a planned community. It was nothing even close to the scope of what Walt had in mind for Epcot, the city. From everything I've read, Celebration is nothing more than a high priced corporate controlled environment, where people pay to live on Disney property with very few other benefits. It's not exactly a failure, but it in no way comes up to the dream of the cutting edge, totally planned and controlled environment that was Epcot.

• ISTC Instructor

I agree with danyoung. I'm talking about the real EPCOT on a grand scope that Walt had in mind, not a town like CELEBRATION which isn't cutting edge at all, but a "country club" of the rich. He didn't buy all of that land for theme parks! EPCOT was for everyone to live in. They would have not only houses, but apartments as well, with everything showing the latest technology.

Seems like a great idea that will perhaps not come to reality for a great time to come. And with land becoming more scarce as populations swell, who knows where you could find so much land at a very cheap cost like Walt did with Florida?

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet... and now here we are in the 21st century and the technology at the end of spaceship earth, is not future anymore... we are currently using it in everday life... Granted it was a cool idea back in 1982 when the park opened, but now... Come on... Same thing goes for Innoventions... I always assumed that was an area to try out all sorts of future technologies, and all its good for is to showcase some stuff that is right now, and not tomorrow.

I think Disney, instead of building a new themed land, they should take that budget and apply to a complete overhaul of Epcot. Redo everything... from spaceship earth to the world showcase.

I am sure its not feasible to do that, but still, I think that would be the best thing to do for that park...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet... and now here we are in the 21st century and the technology at the end of spaceship earth, is not future anymore... we are currently using it in everday life... Granted it was a cool idea back in 1982 when the park opened, but now... Come on... Same thing goes for Innoventions... I always assumed that was an area to try out all sorts of future technologies, and all its good for is to showcase some stuff that is right now, and not tomorrow.

I think Disney, instead of building a new themed land, they should take that budget and apply to a complete overhaul of Epcot. Redo everything... from spaceship earth to the world showcase.

I am sure its not feasible to do that, but still, I think that would be the best thing to do for that park...
    This is about EPCOT, the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, not the park EPCOT Center/Epcot.

I think one question needs to be asked. Would you want to live in Innoventions? That is what EPCOT would probably be like.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The problem I currently have with epcot was that it was supposed to be this themed land of the future... All sorts of technology that hasnt been introduced yet...
    This thread isn't about Epcot the theme park. It is about Walt's plan for EPCOT the city. Walt wanted to build the city of tomorrow, with futuristic transportation, urban living, modern business systems, and civic spaces.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion FOREVER!

From Wikipedia, there are a few recent city building efforts (the most notable
    being Brazilia and the technopolis in Japan and the Malaysia media corridor, )
    but IMHO, nothing in the scale that EPCOT would have been.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    . . .
    I think one question needs to be asked. Would you want to live in Innoventions? That is what EPCOT would probably be like.
    Actually, if one believes the plans, it would have had a lot of the feel/style
    of Innoventions, but a lot of differences (such as a green belt) as well.
    IMHO, it would have been very interesting to see how the design would
    have born out with the changes in technology.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Because America's industries were much stronger when Walt was alive and labor costs weren't as high due to a number of factors.

I suspect Old EPCOT was Walt's attempt to try and take his relationship with corporations to the next level. He had already expanded Disneyland significantly in the 60s with attractions built on another company's money (IASW, Abe, CoP, and Peoplemover sort of too.) But in these attractions he was basically building something to help promote companies at the World's Fair, and here he was trying to work the other way around and energize industries to build something of his own design. There was no way the company could build a domed city on it's own resources. Walt was depending on American steel, construction, and other industries proudly wanting to have their name attatched to something so outlandish as well.

These days, companies don't take pride in anything other than their stock price, so there's no way the kind of sacrifices EPCOT would have required could happen.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This thread isn't about Epcot the theme park. It is about Walt's plan for EPCOT the city. Walt wanted to build the city of tomorrow, with futuristic transportation, urban living, modern business systems, and civic spaces.
    Ooops Sorry... I misread the topic...

I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL epcot, but is it even feasible? I mean didnt walt have an idea of a shopping area with a glass dome? It might be hard to construct a dome that big... I mean hell if it could be done, think of what it might do for other locations in the US... What if a company wants to build a year round theme park in NYC, but because of harsh winters they cant. If the real epcot could be done with the glass dome, it might give the people in NYC or other colder climate areas a chance...

I would applaud any attempt for them to build a real epcot, I just hope it doesnt come off as a cheap looking biosphere

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I wouldnt mind seeing the REAL epcot, but is it even feasible..
    To be honest, I don't think even Walt could have built what Walt wanted, with 20,000 residents and all of the problems of a major city. It was a great design and an incredible dream, but I doubt that he could have found enough people that were that willing to be a controlled element of a large machine.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    To be honest, I don't think even Walt could have built what Walt wanted, with 20,000 residents and all of the problems of a major city. It was a great design and an incredible dream, but I doubt that he could have found enough people that were that willing to be a controlled element of a large machine.
    You must be the guy who wrote "stick to shorts."

Everyone, if you've never seen this, you owe it to yourself to watch it. Walt was trying to make the world a better place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9M3pKsrcc8

I wonder if there is anyone out there who will ever match Walt for his dedication to improving quality of life for all people

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast