• I love my family!

What would you rather have?

That 5th gate thread got me thinking.

What would you rather have Disney do with WDW, build a new fifth gate or fix and expand the parks they have now?

While I think a 5th park would be great, I really don't think the Co is ready to spend the money it would take to build a good park in the US rightnow.

I would love for then to make AK and MGM all day parks like MK and Epcot but, that would still cost a lot.

Speaking of MGM, does anyone else think, that MGM is in a horrible location.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: What would you rather have?

Generally speaking, and this goes for all Disney parks and not just WDW, I'd like to see an expansion and refurb rather than additional parks.

I think Disney parks are slowly reaching a point of oversaturation. We now have 5 resorts - or 11 parks if you prefer, not including the water parks - around the world, establishing Disneyland as more than just the Happiest Place on Earth, but something closer to a brand stamp.

I believe that the only way they can maintain the 'magic' is by giving people reasons to keep coming back, and constantly capturing their imagination. This can be done with something as simple as a dark ride, or a character in the parks, and doesn't always need to be a multi-billion dollar campaign. Bigger is not always better, and less is often more.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

I'd like to see an expansion of the exisiting parks. It seems that when Disney builds a new park (such as Hong Kong Disneyland) it pales in comparison to parks built years ago. Maybe the high costs of building a theme park has something to do with that. I don't think a new park will ever be built with the same enthusiasm and detail that was put into the original Disneyland, or Florida's Magic Kingdom & Epcot.

I would like to see them enhance and refub the current parks. I'd like to see more countries added to World Showcase, something built in the 20K location other than a playground, and at least something related to Beastly Kingdom other than one lonely yeti. I'd also like to see another monorail resort but that's expanding not enhancing.
    disney world: 24
    contemporary, polynesian, caribbean beach, dolphin, wilderness lodge, dixie landings, port orleans

disneyland: 2
    next trip: september 2009 @ the disneyland hotel

• Believes in fairy tales

I would definitely argue for more money being put into the existing parks. Not necessarily expanding them, but upgrading/adding rides to them.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Fix and expand.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I agree about MGM being in a bad location. They really didn't leave any room for expansion, unless they want to cross the street and have the highway go straight through the park.

I think they need to fix and expand within the current parks. There are so many attractions that should probably go but that's a whole other issue.

• keep moving forward...

and that park would have a lot to live up to...remember when animal kingdom and DCA opened alot of people thought it was overkill...true that one of them was overkill but that is for lack of themeing and entertainmant value.

• Minion

Fix and expand what's there. Specifically, I'd like to see more "family" rides added. Haven't seen it yet, but it seems like the Nemo ride at Living Seas is a step in that direction. Be cool to see the monorail expanded as well.

• Mouse Extra Dave

In general, and without details on what the 5th gate is, I would say they should do things like expand AK and MGM, along with adding the Villians area to MK and perhaps a new country or 2 to WS.

However, if the 5th gate is Disney's America??? I'd have to think about that one.

• Banned User

there is plenty of room for expansion at mgm the whole area behind the car stunt show can be taken down and redeveloped. that is alot of space. but they need refurbing and adding to all the parks. but no beastly kingdome, bring in real life animals like australia or brazilian rainforest type areas. that is much better.

• We'll hold them at bay

I would rather see them add several rides to MGM (james bond, Incredibles, Harry Potter, more Star Wars) and at least 2 lands to DAK. My picks would be America (both North and South) and Narnia (replacing the old Beastly Kingdom idea)