Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are the Deluxe hotels worth it?

Going to WDW first time want to have a really good experience. Is staying at the deluxe hotels really worth an extra $100 a day? Now we have a budget but an extra $100 a day is not going to break it, but is it a good use of the money?

This one time on Friends . . .

Re: Are the Deluxe hotels worth it?

It really depends. Which deluxe resort(s) are you looking at and how long are you planning to be in your room. Personally, I am usually not in the room long enough to really make it worth the money, but for your first time, I'd recommend it.

Some of the deluxe ones, like the Yacht & Beach Club, Boardwalk, Grand Floridian, Poly, and Contemporary have great locations in relation to the theme parks. Wilderness Lodge isn't on the monorail line but you have the boat to the Magic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom Lodge has the Savannah.

I think you'd have a good time at a moderate but if you can fit a deluxe in your budget without giving up too much, I'd say go for it.

• Yes?

I used to think there wasn't a difference until we stayed in a deluxe and now we won't ever go back to mod or value. We got spoiled. There just seems to be a much more relaxed feeling at the deluxe resorts, in my opinion. I don't feel as rushed, the transportation seems to run smoother and more often, the cms seem more at ease...I don't know...maybe it's just me but I have never regretted spending the extra money on Deluxe. The only ones we haven't stayed in yet are Grand Floridian(we will be in Dec), Polynesian, Yacht Club and Boardwalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• Disneyholic

Depends on what you want, I pay the extra for the following:
    • Close proximity to local Parks - Poly wins out here as it has monorail access to MK and a short walk to TTC for access to Epcot via monorail. Beach & Yacht are a boat ride away from both MGM and Epcot. To me less buss=less fuss.
    • Amenities - Spa's and such, trust me after walking all day you will be sore, and slipping into a Jacuzzi at the WL while the kids swim in the pool is a great way to unwind. They also have premium restaurants and better pools, they generally have more recreation options.
    • Less crowded - Some more so than others, but generally has fewer rooms so fewer people to fight for a seat on the bus.
    • Bigger rooms - Yup you get what you pay for, if you don't like tripping over each other and all the stuffed animals they kids talk you out of you might want the extra room.
    • Internet Access - The deluxe resorts are being refurbed now to have High speed internet, HD plasma TV's etc. I know the Contemporary and Wilderness lodge have them STD now.
    • Fridge, coffee maker, hairdryer, iron, ironing board, etc. - Fridge saves you a lot of money by keeping soda and water etc in the room so you don't have to buy them, the rest well if you need them they are nice to have handy.
    • Daycare/kids clubs - Up to four hours if you really need some time apart from the kids. (or the kids from their parents) there is a fee for the service but from what I have heard they are quite nice.
    • Valet Parking - used to be free for resort guests, I have not driven down there in nine years so may not be anymore. But its nice not to have to figure out which white rental sedan is yours and where you parked last week...

Also the deluxe resort staff seems to stay put and do a little extra. For example when the maid learned it was my daughter's birthday at the end of the week we awoke to find a bag on the door with helium balloons, a Disney trivia game, a card from Mickey Mouse, and some other goodies. (New CM in "mousekeeping" get rotated about but the deluxe seem to stay on longer so less newbies to worry with, older CM seem to think the new CM don't have any stake in the resort and don't care about the magic as much and leave sooner)

They also do a candy crawl at Easter at the deluxe resorts, and they have special free extras like the flag family and tours at WL, ladybug release and torch lighting ceremonies with the fire dancers at the poly. IMHO I like them and was so disappointed in Caribbean Beach we never we put off going to WDW unless we can afford the extra for the Deluxe hotels.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by evilqueenrocks View Post
    I used to think there wasn't a difference until we stayed in a deluxe and now we won't ever go back to mod or value. We got spoiled. There just seems to be a much more relaxed feeling at the deluxe resorts, in my opinion. I don't feel as rushed, the transportation seems to run smoother and more often, the cms seem more at ease...I don't know...maybe it's just me but I have never regretted spending the extra money on Deluxe. The only ones we haven't stayed in yet are Grand Floridian(we will be in Dec), Polynesian, Yacht Club and Boardwalk.

Don't forget if you cry about not getting your room due to mechanical problems they give you a suite for no extra charge...

But Queenie you have to try the Poly, its not Hawii but next best thing and the food is less expensive...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• golly gawrrsh

ohhhh there are a couple we'd LOVE to stay at but when booking time comes around we end up saying - it's just a hotel - we are only sleeping there not hanging out there so why bother - and we haven't

we've stayed at Caribbean, Riverside, Pop, Music (though we won't stay there again) Coronado and for us - just don't see the need to spend the extra $1000 a week to upgrade from the MOD and even more to upgrade from the value.

that being said - one of these trips we'll stay at the Polly or Animal Kingdom but right now it's just not worth it for us.

We've actually been looking into buying a trailer and staying at Fort Wilderness but that's a whole other experience.

• Mousketeer

I've never stayed at the budget, but I enjoyed my stay at the moderate Coronado springs. I've also stayed at the Yatch Club and Grand Floridian.

You can't beat being right on the monorail line, and the service at the nicer resorts was very good. So if your a stay in the room enjoy the resort person, go for it. if your only in your room to sleep, go moderate.

To me - it does matter. But I know plenty of folks who think of a hotel as just a place to simply shower & sleep. And that is cool.
    I like the hotel to be part of the whole vacation experience. So we go deluxe.

• Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Don't forget if you cry about not getting your room due to mechanical problems they give you a suite for no extra charge...
    Haha! It worked for me and I didn't even have to shed a tear! I have got to get that video uploaded. We took video of the suite as well as photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

Hi Guys new to the site
    just booked 14 days at GF any tips on how to get best standard rooms

Thx

• Mouse Extra Dave

I went to Delux and loved it, but couldn't afford it...so I joined the DVC
    "You are not the first to pass this way..."
    Mouse Extra
    feeding the Disney addiction daily
    http://www.mouseextra.com/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

My take on it is if you really have the money to spare, go for the deluxe. If you're having to scrimp on other things like fine dining, souvenirs and special events, a moderate is perfectly fine. There is a nicer ambiance in the deluxe resorts, with more interesting modes of transportation, depending on where you stay. And there's nothing like stepping out on your tower balcony at the Contemporary and enjoying a view over the busy Seven Seas Lagoon and the Magic Kingdom, or looking out of your window at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and seeing a giraffe feeding a dozen feet away!

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandPlanner View Post
    Going to WDW first time want to have a really good experience. Is staying at the deluxe hotels really worth an extra $100 a day? Now we have a budget but an extra $100 a day is not going to break it, but is it a good use of the money?
    In a word, no. I spend as much time as I can in the parks so the resort just needs to be OK for me.

I have stayed at the Contemporary and loved it. We viewed the fireworks every night from our balcony. We had a great view of MK and avoided crowds every night by taking the Monorail back to the room just before the fireworks began.

We have also stayed at the All Star Movies. The crowds on the buses are not so fun, but we are able to stay at WDW for much longer periods of time, and that is more important to us.

If we had the extra money, I would definitely do a Deluxe just to experience Disney the best way possible.
    If at first you don't succeed... skydiving isn't for you!

• Banned User

I only do the All-Star Resorts.
    They have an arcade and a food court and a pool - that's all I care about it. I spent all of my spare time in the parks where the real fun is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast