Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• love my friends

Re: WDW Invasion--Trekkie Dad's pictorial report

wow keep them coming trekkie.,. did you bike ride while there

Friends for life

• most magical vaca ever

Awesome report Trekkie!

Reading all these WDW TR's is making me VERY excited for my family's next trip
    ~~~~~~

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Great pics!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

OK, here we go to Disney's Animal Kingdom! (If you want to see all my AK pictures--without commentary--click here.

The bus from the Beach Club to AK got us there before the park opened, unlike the bus bringing our fellow MCers. So we got some inline entertainment--a talking potted palm.

Once in, we had to wait for the rope drop on Discovery Island. As soon as we could we headed straight for Expedition Everest.

As soon as we finished the ride, we headed for the rapids ride, but on the way we passed Dusty, FB, and several others on the way to Everest. Dusty told us they'd go to the Safari next--which was where we would go as soon as we got off the rafts. The raft was a walk-on. In fact, we were the only ones on our raft. Jimmie's poncho didn't keep her from getting soaked. I fared a little better, but it really didn't take that long to dry out.

At the safari, the gang was a little ahead of us in line, so they let others pass so we could join them. We pretty much filled our own jeep. Here are a few of the better pictures from the safari. (The driver didn't believe in stopping for more than a fraction of a second.)

And the lame ending:

Then we hoofed it back across the park to get FPs for Everest on the way to Dinosaur!

Here we are!

After that, Jimmie and I had time to ride the spinning wild mouse thingy before the meet. It was fun but cheesy. I was thinking, "When Disney does cheesy, it's REALLY cheesy." And that section of the park was.

On to the meet. We pretty much filled up this little shelter on the water near Flame Tree Barbecue.

And we met two Mice Chatters I only knew in name: Figment1986 and his mom Cmash. Figment is a little camera shy.

But I managed to get a couple shots of him, anyway.

Everyone was taking pictures of this alligator.

We went our own way after the meet. First we stopped to take some pictures of the Tree of Life. Here's one:

And then we were off to the Village of Harambe and the train to the Eco Station. (no pix)

Then we did the two trails. First, a few pictures from the trail in Africa.

A couple more shots of the Tree of Life.

And then it was off to the Jungle Trek in Asia. A komodo dragon:

A "very serious" warning.

Do you like bats?

Looks like this tiger is off duty.

A stunning background.

Hey, look, bikes!

And one last shot before leaving the trail.

And it was back to

to cash in those fastpasses. (And I got a T-shirt to take home, too.)

I bet you can't guess where this is. It's my final shot in Animal Kingdom.

It's called the "Olden Gate Bridge." I wonder who came up with that one.

But the day was far from over. We would be going back to Epcot for the Illuminations dessert. That will be my next installment.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

At the safari, the gang was a little ahead of us in line, so they let others pass so we could join them.
    As if I haven't been impressed enough with your trip report, the above line has made you guys into my favorite park stormers - very classy!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

After our day at Animal Kingdom, we took the bus back to the Beach Club for some rest and headed into Epcot for dinner. Jimmie wanted teppanyaki or tempura. It turned out there was no waiting to get into Tempura Kiku, one of the two restaurants upstairs in the main building in Japan.

Jimmie had her tempura, and I had a tempura and sushi combo.

After dinner, we headed for China. Here are some shots of the interior.

And replicas of the terra cotta warriors.

Then we saw the circlevision movie. We picked up our extra magic hour wristbands near Mexico and worked our way around to Great Britain, where the Mice Chatters were meeting for dessert and Illuminations.

Check out this movie.

Afterwards we stood for a group shot. This is what it looks from inside the group.

And we still had time to play in Epcot.

So guess where we headed.

Mission: Space!

But even after Mission: Space we had time to see the circlevision movie in Canada. And then we called it a night.

All my Epcot pictures can be seen here.
    Last edited by Trekkie Dad; 11-07-2006 at 09:25 PM.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

For our final day at WDW, we headed for

Disney MGM Studios!

It was raining when we first got up, so we really didn't try to make the extra magic hours. By the time we got there (by boat), the rain had stopped, but I had my raincoat along anyway.

Of course we headed straight for the Tower of Terror.

Jimmie has never liked this ride, but she will do it once. I am no fan of drop rides, but ToT is an exception. I hadn't ridden the WDW version since 2000, but I remembered how the elevator car moved from one shaft to another. And while it was unpredictable, the drop sequence didn't feel as intense as the one at DCA. (Either that, or I've become more tolerant of the drops.)

Here's a couple shots of the gift shop entrance.

Then we headed for Rockin' Roller Coaster.

It's a quick way to get a new rockin' hairdo.

We met up with some other Mcers at the Little Mermaid show. I think a couple of them were already tired.

Then it was on to Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

This is just like the real one, with footprints and everything!

Who'd have thought Jimmie's hands were identical to Audry Hepburn's?

And Fishbulb must be related to a certain famous waterfowl.

The ride inside was fun, but I took no pictures. Jimmie and I dashed over to take in one of her DL favorites: Star Tours. Here, it's a little different on the outside.

The Saturday meet was a little jumbled, with people coming and going. Witches of Morva shared a scrapbook of his(?) trip to DCA. It was hilarious. I did manage to sneak a shot of this group of Mice Age/Mice Chat movers and shakers. Do I really need to name them?

OK, Monorail Man, Al Lutz, Fishbulb, Kevin Yee, and Dustysage.

Jimmie and I joined MM, Al, Kevin and a couple others for lunch at the ABC Comissary. We listened and got a preview of Al's report. Al has high expectations for Disney. While his criticisms may seem harsh at times, you know he really cares and wants the parks to give the best experience possible to their guests. We split up again, but planned to see the Lights! Motors! Action! show later that day.

I put my camera in sport mode and shot a lot of pictures of the show. I'll pick a few to post in this thread, but the rest can be found in my DisneyMGM folder on photobucket.

After the show, Jimmie took the boat back to the Beach Club, and I headed for the Magic Kingdom to ride the Jungle Cruise. And then we would spend our last evening in Epcot. But that will be in the next installment.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Thanks again for the excellent photo report, and THANK YOU for identifying the players. I've been online in Disney forums for years now, and this is the first time I've actually seen a picture of Al and Kevin Yee!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

While we were in Disney MGM, I mentioned to Wolfy I hadn't yet done the Jungle Cruise in MK. She said it was better and surprising. So while Jimmie took the boat back to our hotel, I hopped on a bus (and the monorail) to the Magic Kingdom for one last visit. The parade was blocking Main Street, so I took the train to Frontierland and walked to the Jungle Cruise from there.

The JC layout is definitely different, but the jokes are remarkably similar to the ones told in Disneyland at least a decade ago. Here af a few of my better shots.

The elephant bathing pool was near the end of the ride (after going through a tunnel).

And of course, no jungle cruise is complete without the back side of water.

I did accomplish one mission though. I found the wind chimes Jimmie had been seeking all week, and I had them sent home. They should be arriving any day now.

For our last evening, Jimmie and I walked into Epcot. I had a couple more shots of Beverly, and headed for one last ride on Mission: Space. We found Dusty, FB, and the Clinksalots there. Dusty and one other went green, with the rest of us riding orange. Then we parted ways for the last time.

Jimmie and I finished our evening in Epcot noshing our way around World Showcase.

The next morning we were up early to catch our bus to the airport. That afternoon we were back in Sacramento.

The hotel shuttle picked us up at the curb

and when we got back to our car, its battery was dead. I have no idea how the dome light got left on. AAA came to the rescue, and our arrival at home was only delayed by about an hour.

The full collection of pictures is organized into five folders:
    Magic Kingdom
    Epcot
    Animal Kingdom
    Disney MGM, and
    Other WDW.

The End.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

GREAT report TrekkieDad!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain