• Drunk On Disney

Question The White House at Epcot

I was just reading "The Imagineer's Guide To Epcot" and I read that they chose to use an American-style mansion to house American Adventure rather than re-create an American government building.

It got me thinking:

Wouldn't a White House replica be really cool? I am sure many visitors to Epcot have never been to the White House, and it would be a really cool facade to see.

Anyone agree?

• Banned User

Re: The White House at Epcot

I woould like to see this happen!

• World Traveler

Yeah, but some people might picket this White House when they want to protest something.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
    Yeah, but some people might picket this White House when they want to protest something.
    Somehow, I seriously doubt that. Especially considering the location of Epcot itself, and where the building is located.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

I think it might be not so good for two reasons:
    1. Let's say our president does something stupid (like that would ever happen! ), well, having the White House there might produce a negative reaction in some guests due to whatever DC scandal is currently in the headlines. Disney parks are meant to be an escape from reality; a place to go to forget about politics not be reminded of them.
    2. It wouldn't be an original, unique building like all the other pavilions there.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    2. It wouldn't be an original, unique building like all the other pavilions there.
    Many of the buildings in World Showcase are unique, but some (like the Temple of Heaven in China and the Eifel Tower) are replicas of famous places.

As for people connecting a replica of the White House with a hatred for any sitting president: if Disney was worried about this they would have no Hall of Presidents.

• World Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    As for people connecting a replica of the White House with a hatred for any sitting president: if Disney was worried about this they would have no Hall of Presidents.
    I've never experienced this myself, but I have heard that there is some heckling some times at the Hall Of Presidents.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Many of the buildings in World Showcase are unique, but some (like the Temple of Heaven in China and the Eifel Tower) are replicas of famous places.

I agree with you on both points except that Hall of Presidents is inside, not outside. It's not the first thing people see when they pass by the pavilion.

I guess I look at it this way; would it be a good idea to have the equivalent of whatever the Mexican White House is rather of the current pyramid? Or for that matter the "White House" of any of the other countries. What I could definitely see is a scale model of the capital buildings from the various countries in all the pavilions.

Maybe something styled after the White House would be cool, but I guess I can't see an exact replica.

• A Dark Future

I've never experienced this myself, but I have heard that there is some heckling some times at the Hall Of Presidents.
    Yeah... one particular day last year when I went there was annoying booing and hissing. It was so irritating..

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I have seen many booing and hissing at the Hall of Presidents, and then it becomes a competition to clap the loudest for your favorite president. The main reason I don't go there that much anymore. Gets me too frustrated.

As for a White House replica...I don't know about that, but about 10 years ago I beleive they did have a fairly large replica of the Capitol building made out of Legos on display. It was right next to the gift shop, where I beleive the Kidcot station is now. Anyone else remember this?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• If We Can Dream It...

During the crowded times of the year there is always someone heckling the current pres. As for a replica white house I think it would be very cool but, realisticly speaking there is no room. I doubt many people would picket it simply because it is a building, not an actual person. And as for the rest of WS being 99% unique building, not quite, the Italy pavilion, for instance, is almost entirely replicas.
    - Horizonsfan

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Yeah... one particular day last year when I went there was annoying booing and hissing. It was so irritating..
    Understatement.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Especially when you're trying to nap in there.

*blink*

WOT?

• Banned User

ok hissing and booing an AA is just silly. but then I wonder about the caliber of some of the visitors to disney these days.

• Drunk On Disney

I always boo Woodrow Wilson. Boo boo boo. He deserves it.