Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
  1. #46

    • Ardent WDW Enthusiast
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    177

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    If/When Disney loses the MGM name rights, GMR will not have to be gutted. Much like the Rodger Rabbit ride at DL, theres a difference in the contracts between something used for marketing and new shows and established attractions. The GMR could remain forever so long as they want, but they could not build a new ride with MGM copyrighted materail without a new contract.

  2. #47

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,619

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Here is my feeling on the hat. Each "weenie" as they call it in each park is based on fantasy. This is the only Disney park that uses a replica of an actual existing structure as its focal point. Every Disney park has something based on fantasy in this place -- a castle, a sphere, a huge tree with intricate carvings, a huge fountain with a giant sun behind it. While it can be argued that the Chinese Theatre is in a sense a castle, it still is just a movie theatre in Hollywood that shows the latest junk coming out of Hollywood lately. Not only that but directly across the street is the El Capitan Theatre which Disney helped restore to its glory days and now shows exclusively Disney movies along with elaborate stage shows.

    If you travel to the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, you will find this same hat near their animation section. So there still is a tie-in with this hat and movie making. The hat is entirely appropriate in the MGM-Disney Studios.

  3. #48

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,038
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Here is my feeling on the hat. Each "weenie" as they call it in each park is based on fantasy. This is the only Disney park that uses a replica of an actual existing structure as its focal point. Every Disney park has something based on fantasy in this place -- a castle, a sphere, a huge tree with intricate carvings, a huge fountain with a giant sun behind it. While it can be argued that the Chinese Theatre is in a sense a castle, it still is just a movie theatre in Hollywood that shows the latest junk coming out of Hollywood lately. Not only that but directly across the street is the El Capitan Theatre which Disney helped restore to its glory days and now shows exclusively Disney movies along with elaborate stage shows.

    If you travel to the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, you will find this same hat near their animation section. So there still is a tie-in with this hat and movie making. The hat is entirely appropriate in the MGM-Disney Studios.
    All of the other central weenies are also logical. You don't see many 100' tall hats in the world these days. The Chinese Theater still remains a cultural icon of the glitz and glamour of Hollywood's golden days.

    The Animation Building at the Walt Disney Studios is a new building built in the middle-to-late 1990s. It is apart of Eisner's big name architecture kick.

  4. #49

    • Ardent WDW Enthusiast
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toledo, OH
    Posts
    177

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    How many geodesic spheres do you see in the world, or for that matter giant trees with animals carved into the bark? And as for the castle, its a caracture of a castle, its obvously too ornate and has too much glass for a middle ages castle, and much to small and not practical (way to many flights of stairs and too narrow for much rooms on each floor) for a rennisanse palace.

    I guess I just dont see the problem with honoring the pinicle Disney Golden Age Film with a spot at the end of Golden Age Hollywood.

  5. #50

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,038
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Main Street, USA (especially the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris versions) is much more ornate than its real life inspiration. Main Streets only began to look as colorful and clean as they do (the revive Main Street projects) after Disneyland's Main Street, USA. It is not unusual for a real Main Street to end with a court house, city hall or other important building. The world we "know" ends in the fantasy we are entering.

    The world's first geodesic sphere sits amongst Future World. Its name, Spaceship Earth, also evokes the hamony of the world presented in World Showcase. It is both unfamiliar (in its actual architecture) and familiar (in its shape).

    The Tree of Life stands in the middle of a park about the world of nature. Trees can grow to amazing sizes and live extremely long lives. A tree makes a fitting symbol for the power of mother nature.

    The Scorcerer's hat is an iconic symbol of Mickey Mouse. I wouldn't be surprised for more people to associate Scorcerer Mickey with Fantasmic! than Fantasia or The Scorcerer's Apprentice. A large hat such as that is also not culturally iconic of the golden Hollywood that never was. It offsets the realism and detail established by its surroundings. It is actually because of placing items in front of the designed focal point that the Partners statues were erected at most of the Magic Kingdoms.

  6. #51

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,035

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    I urge anyone attending the stockholders meeting in New Orleans to rise to their feet when the Q&A with Bob Iger starts and begin chanting 'Mr. Iger, Tear Down That Hat!!!'

  7. #52

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,038
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    I urge anyone attending the stockholders meeting in New Orleans to rise to their feet when the Q&A with Bob Iger starts and begin chanting 'Mr. Iger, Tear Down That Hat!!!'
    If not, will the bombing begin in five minutes?

  8. #53

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    352

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Man, do I hate the hat. I guess they forgot that MGM already had a symbol--The Great Movie ride. And The Earful Tower--two really. The hat is just ugly. It ruins the atmosphere of the whole area and makes everything seem so crowded. It completely takes you out of the nostalgic, retro Hollywood, Art Deco feeling of the park.

  9. #54

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,642

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    I like it better then the copy-cat globe structure at the front that screams universal...

  10. #55

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    352

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Aw, I love that thing--it jsut feels so classic. I don't think it's particularly Universal-ish. The more I talk about the things I like in the park, the more the hat angers me. Everything else there is so perfect and beautiful and appealing to me: the whole "Hollywood that never was" just really strikes a chord. And then there's that....thing. That huge, monstrous...THING in the middle.

  11. #56

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,478

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    When did the Earful Tower disappear? I hadn't paid attention.

  12. #57

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Can We Lose the Hat?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    When did the Earful Tower disappear? I hadn't paid attention.
    Maybe they meant that the Earful Tower dissappeared in a metaphorical sense seeing as the hat has taking over. If the hat wasnt so freaking huge and blocking everything in sight of the park, I would be okay with it. But the fact that the entire thing is just a trading pin shop unnerves me! They shouldve put the hat on top of a building or something. But i guess you cant fight the laziness of the Disney World execs to fix that problem...not for now anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Its a new day/any one want to lose weight with me :)
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum Gibson Girls
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 07:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •