Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Space Mountain: An Embarrassment

OK, so it's been too quiet around here of late, so the spirit moved me to create this thread.

My conclusion: Space Mountain is an abysmal embarrassment in its current 2006 state. It's dirty, loud, and rough with tacky effects. It's pre-post shows don't wow like they once did either. Version 2.0 should have been installed 10-15 years ago.

The future: who knows? I have heard from a few sources that Space Mountain is going under in '07 or early '08 for a major overhaul and updating, heard that the $$$ is trickling down the pipes (with some likely going to Jungle Cruise and possibly Pirates too). But I've also heard this isn't the case at all. And that's what other Disney gadflys have said too.

If Space Mtn isn't getting any work that is just incredibly lame but not surprising as TWDC has shown it doesn't believe in keeping its parks (especially in Florida) fresh.

Now, anyone want to argue that the attraction is great the way it is? Or that it's pathetic state makes it 'a classic' that shouldn't be touched. Or anyone think it's as good as it always has been (if so, you had better ridden in the 70s and 80s)?

Let's see what we stirred up.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Re: Space Mountain: An Embarrassment

i thought space mountain was a delight to ride, it felt like it had character , granted that i had never ridden it before this last October. That said , i thought i was awesome. dirty? looked clean to me , Loud? kinda , Rough? i didn't think so , Tacky? never , the queue is much much cooler than here on the west coast , if you want rough ride come ride the Matterhorn

My Maleficent tattoo

Thematically this ride is desperately calling for help, but, it is one of my favorite rides at WDW, it probably even sits firmly in my top 3. As a ride I think it is great, not too tall, which is important for me.

Theming wise, I think this attraction needs serious help. Looking at the DL refurb, its easy to see that the love is just not there for our SM. This is really sad because it's the one thing that we can stick in the face of the Disneylanders, WDW got Space Mountain first! With a building that size and a Tomorrowland like MK's, WDI has an opportunity to make a new world-class attraction that would rejuvenate the Magic Kingdom, just like Everest did to Animal Kingdom.

If anything else, I would just like them to fix up the queue, because every time I've been in it, it seems to be practically falling apart.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Circle of Ancients

I REALLY liked MK's Space Mtn.

But I still think Disneylands is better.

• Banned User

We could always try to run it down to far that it breaks and has to be replaced... much like what happened at Disneyland

• Banned User

One genuine problem is that it's rough as hell.
    The new rebuild in Disneyland is smooth as a baby's bottom.

The comparison is similar to the original Tower of Terror in Orlando and the new version in Tokyo. The new one is incredibly smooth, while the original is far far rougher.

It will be interesting to see how smooth the Matterhorn is when it reopens because it appears they've replaced most of the track.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara View Post
    The new rebuild in Disneyland is smooth as a baby's bottom.
    alright i will second that , ours is as smooth as a baby's bottom , i really did like the queue in Florida better though... well maybe not the post queue

My Maleficent tattoo

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    OK, so it's been too quiet around here of late, so the spirit moved me to create this thread.

My conclusion: Space Mountain is an abysmal embarrassment in its current 2006 state. It's dirty, loud, and rough with tacky effects. It's pre-post shows don't wow like they once did either. Version 2.0 should have been installed 10-15 years ago.
    Agreed. I first rode SM in 1978. Loved it. But that was then.

Now, it IS an abyssmal embarrassment! Indoor coasters do not have to be this rough and bland. SM on the east coast should be as solid as SM on the west coast.

The future: who knows? I have heard from a few sources that Space Mountain is going under in '07 or early '08 for a major overhaul and updating, heard that the $$$ is trickling down the pipes (with some likely going to Jungle Cruise and possibly Pirates too). But I've also heard this isn't the case at all. And that's what other Disney gadflys have said too.
    Do your sources say anything about the new E-Ticket?

Uh-oh.

Don't tell me that a rehabbed Space Mountain will be MK's next E-Ticket?

If Space Mtn isn't getting any work that is just incredibly lame but not surprising as TWDC has shown it doesn't believe in keeping its parks (especially in Florida) fresh.
    Given the sorry *ss 'bonus' being offered to new hires in Anaheim if they stay on the job for ninety days... it wouldn't surprise me if WDC continues to let their parks wither on the vine like this. Disney doesn't seem to be interested in keeping quality cast members. So why would they be interested in quality attractions?

Now, anyone want to argue that the attraction is great the way it is? Or that it's pathetic state makes it 'a classic' that shouldn't be touched. Or anyone think it's as good as it always has been (if so, you had better ridden in the 70s and 80s)?

Let's see what we stirred up.
    Rode it in the seventies and eighties. And once in the nineties, for nostalgia's sake.

Tear it up and build anew. It's done.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• 88 mph

Right now, I think the main issue and focus is the popularity of the ride. I'm guessing SM in MK seems to be getting alot of guests, so WDC thinks that hey, the ride is fine, lots of people are still going on it so it must be fine. Now lets work on Stitch's escape.

*SM in DL got revamped because of poor track supports.

• Jambo!

Quote Originally Posted by Y more J View Post
    Right now, I think the main issue and focus is the popularity of the ride. I'm guessing SM in MK seems to be getting alot of guests, so WDC thinks that hey, the ride is fine, lots of people are still going on it so it must be fine. Now lets work on Stitch's escape.

*SM in DL got revamped because of poor track supports.
    Space Mountain at any park much less WDW is never lacking in popularity. But even in the off season you will usually have 30-45 min. waits minimum and fastpasses sell out by early afternoon during peak seasons. So popularity Space Mountain has, there's just been a lot of rumors lately of refurbs for various attractions, such as Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise, and the numbers being put up with the refurbs suggest something rather large, not some simple paint things here, tighten bolts there.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmGreen View Post
    if you want rough ride come ride the Matterhorn
    Ain't that the truth. I'm hoping that the big rehab for the Matterhorn includes a smoother ride. DL Space Mountain is much smoother since the reopening.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by goofgeek View Post
    So popularity Space Mountain has, there's just been a lot of rumors lately of refurbs for various attractions, such as Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise, and the numbers being put up with the refurbs suggest something rather large, not some simple paint things here, tighten bolts there.
    I'm coming down to WDW this Christmas so i dont know waht the condition is right now, but last I remembered, space mountain in WDW was always kinda loud and rough. Also for all you WDWers out there, a revamp (considering that they want to include a musical portion and new track) of space mountain will probably take 2 years or longer like DL did and being a Disneyland Local, that is not a fun 2 years at all.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I like the track layout better than DL's. No g-forces, just crazy crazy whiplash from going around unexpected turns.

The rest of the area in the park can't support Space going down for a year and change. If Laugh Floor reaches Turtle Talk levels of popularity and maybe if Stitch Encounter is salvaged into something that draws interest, then pull the trigger.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Y more J View Post
    space mountain will probably take 2 years or longer like DL did and being a Disneyland Local, that is not a fun 2 years at all.
    And that is too long. Anything longer than a week tends to worry WDW mgment according to what we hear. It was bad enough that Pirates was down for months that they had to RE-OPEN it during Spring Break week and minimal show opperating conditions (while Disneyland's attraction did NOT re-open).

• Vehicle rotating backward

Also remember that to a certain extent Space Mountain is the Matterhorn of WDW. It's the second biggest icon in the MK and it kind of represents the old school. Orlandites might complain about how everyone else's doesn't seem so dang aged, but that could be tantamount to someone walking into Anaheim and saying the Matterhorn needs an Everest makeover.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast