Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are late august crowds like?

What are the crowds the last week of august like, we are thinking we would maybe spend 7 nights down there and then head back home on labor day. What do you think? good idea? bad idea?
    Also I am sure the weather will be deadful, but I think we will manage as long as we take our breaks. Also, we have to go before school starts and go during value season and the week i picked fits all of that.

Thanks in adcvance

Re: What are late august crowds like?

Bad crowds. I don't think they die down until after labor day.

• Creepy Old Crypt-Dweller

Yes, it's rather busy that time of year and oppressively hot and humid. If at all possible, put it off a month or two. The weather is nicer and the crowds are much smaller.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I went there august 15 this year and they were not bad at all. I got there at opening hour, got all the big rides done by noon, there were no lines for people eater rides such as Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I had so much time that I was able to ride several of the rides twice, because the lines were not bad and even watch the fireworks. I rode Space Mountain right before the park closed and the line was less than 30 minutes. I rode Thunder at night and the line went by fast compared to the lines it gets during the day.

I honestly had a good time, didn't get rushed, pushed shoved, hit, etc. The only thing I hated was the bottleneck pieces of eight store as we got off Pirates the second time.

So when I went there, during a wednesday, they were not bad at all. But Dustysage told me I was lucky I guess. If you do go, I suggest going on a wednesday.

I never even had to bust out the mister, but do wear sunscreen!

I do admit though, take your breaks. Because around 2 PM, the weather and exhaustion we had from walking all day and having noting but a McDonalds breakfast really started to get people such as myself irritated.

So take breaks, drink water, and eat healthy food all throughout the day!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I went there august 15 this year and they were not bad at all. I got there at opening hour, got all the big rides done by noon, there were no lines for people eater rides such as Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I had so much time that I was able to ride several of the rides twice, because the lines were not bad and even watch the fireworks. I rode Space Mountain right before the park closed and the line was less than 30 minutes. I rode Thunder at night and the line went by fast compared to the lines it gets during the day.

I honestly had a good time, didn't get rushed, pushed shoved, hit, etc. The only thing I hated was the bottleneck pieces of eight store as we got off Pirates the second time.

So when I went there, during a wednesday, they were not bad at all. But Dustysage told me I was lucky I guess. If you do go, I suggest going on a wednesday.

I never even had to bust out the mister, but do wear sunscreen!

i agree a wendesday is the best day to go in august

Friends for life

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    i agree a wendesday is the best day to go in august
    I must have been lucky on more than one occassion though because a few years ago, I went in August, and once again, the crowds were not bad, but then again I believe that I went mid week. I think I went on a Tuesday. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, during work/school days are the best times to go.

• Minion

ORGOCH: I'll tell ya's what August crowds is like at Walt Dizzy Whirl. They's just as rude, nasty 'n obnoxious as all the rest a the crowds they got goin' there all year 'round. Sometimes it's 'nuff ta make a witch wanna' turn 'em all inta frogs!! But most of 'em's already old toads, so why bother?

ORDDU: Negative today much, dear?

This is what I hear everywhere I ask. Some say they are bad but some also say that this is a good time to go. The dates I am specifically thinking are August 24-31. this is Value Season for the values at least so thats what originally led me to think of going these dates but I do want to know what crowds are like. We would be gone before Labor Day weekend 'officailly' started.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I travel that week every year, and do not think it is very crowded at all. It definitely is hot and humid, and there are probably more people than after Day, but it is by no means unbearable. I think at most some lines get to be about 45 minutes, and those are the main ones, Everest, Soarin', etc. Just get to those early and utilize FastPass, and you'll have no problem. It definitely is nowhere near unbearable levels of people.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

ORGOCH: I say if'n ya don't like crowds just stay home 'n call the whole thing off! Yer better off with a mess a frog legs ta munch on, whilst sluggin' down some brew from yer cauldron. Least ways that's what I's plannin' on doin'!

The crowds in August are generally fat, fatter and how is this one gonna fit in the coffin due to Disney's Free Dining Plan!

But that is assuming they have free dining again, they might.
    And if you are right and lines get no more than 45 minutes long then i will have to go. Any more than 45 minutes is what i would consider bad crowds. I dont know what locals consider crowded but this is probably th e most i would take. The crowds on our last and first trip were worse than that.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Keep in mind that things change though too. While I have seen an increase in crowds this time of the year, I really don't think it is that crowded, and lines are really manageable still.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Lines are manageble because everyone is busy EATING!

And free dining will be back. It's already been offered to selected markets, including the UK ... and it will be offered to all WDW resort guests ON THE SPOT who choose to book for next year starting 12/1.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Lines are manageble because everyone is busy EATING!

And free dining will be back. It's already been offered to selected markets, including the UK ... and it will be offered to all WDW resort guests ON THE SPOT who choose to book for next year starting 12/1.
    Do(will) you have to book through Disney to get this free dining, or do you just have to stay onsite. Also do you have to buy tickets to the parks to get it, or can you use other tickets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast