Blog Entries

Is there room at the Disney Studios?

As we're all aware, the backlot tour at DS is a horrible waste of time. I rather enjoy the water special effects sequence and the catastrophe canyon portion but the rest is very boring since they removed all the houses from backstage. I've had an idea running around in my head that would seem like fun. I've been told that it would never happen because it's too much like what Universal does in California (which I've never been to, so I don't know) and that there's not enough space. Anyhow I could see it bringing some life back into the tour. Anyhow, here's my idea.

Instead of making the tour be the backlot tour (which it isn't really anymore), why not change this into the Disney Studios Special Effects Tour. The basic premise would be that we would take a tram through several set pieces where we would see special effects demonstrated before us.

We'd still start at the water special effects sequence and take in that entire show (which I think is still promising. I just wish they'd drop the Pearl Harbor tie in). After that we'd move to tram loading and start our tour. During this tour we'd still go through catastrophe canyon but we'd drop the silly idea about it actually being a production set and just make it a special effects simulator which it functions well as. In addition, several sound stages would be added to the backlot area that the tram would travel through. Each of these soundstages would demonstrate some other fun special effect such as a major storm, explosions, etc... I'm not smart enough to figure out what each soundstage would have but I'd think you could probably build at least 3-4 more little attractions in that backstage area similar to catastrophe canyon.

Between the soundstages we could still have props scattered around and the tour guide could give us information about what kind of movies these props were from and how these special effects are used in the movies, etc... I think it could make the tram tour a fun attraction again and with some creativity, it could be different enough to not be declared a copy of USH's tour. Is there enough room to add something like this backstage anymore?

Re: Is there room at the Disney Studios?

That is a great idea! I wouldn't necesary call it a copy of the Universal tram tour in Hollywood since that is a true working studio. But I do love the idea of simulating a working studio with a showcase of special effects in different soundstages. It would give them something to run with since the entire working studio concept has long since collapsed on them. And it would bring a unique experience to WDW since there would be nothing else like it in Central Florida. Something like this definitely has the potential to become the flagship attraction for MGM.
    Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up.

Yea...get rid of the Pearl Habor stuff and go back to the basic forum of sharing a behind the scenes look of Disney history (live action, animation, television.) it scares me (it really does) that many who are young have no sense as to why Disney Studious was so amazing. Just think of how cool it would be if Disney devoted an area to just those who voiced the characters we love. Sure, it may seem to some that we may be breaking the magic by revealing such information...but this is what we want to know when we go on a behind the scenes tour.

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

Rumor has it (not sure how accurate) they are gonna get rid of the current water tank show and replace it w/ a pirate themed one..not sure..there are cooler props in the ramp up to the water tank show than in the boneyards of the shuttle portioni...I hope if they change everything they put some of the con air and armageddon props in the boneyards and ditch some of the extra haunted mansion crypts and maybe the 2 caddilacs from the gun in betty lou's handbag and tin men...I dont think it will happen though...as far as re vamping the shuttle portion..I think the beginning of the end started when they put in LMA...it ruined the ambiance of the tour w/ a bunch of stunt drivers revving their engines and turning the tour itself into about a 3rd of it being a promotion machine for LMA...driving through the "practice facility" and sometimes through the actual stunt show set itself after Catastrophe Canyon....I hope they do fix it up..as a former BLT CM I have a special place in my heart for it but I don't see it happening =o(

• KING OF CABMF'S

Smile Re: Is there room at the Disney Studios?

I dont know. there are just these simple thing on the side like backstage tours that keep tourists entertained while we ride tower of terror
    ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
    1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
    2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
    3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
    4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
    5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
    6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
    7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
    8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
    9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
    AND FINALLY...
    10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
    [:

Darien IL- a suburb 25 mins west of Chicago

the studios needs another E ticket towards the back of the park ...LMA is only 3x's a day so it doesn't draw people back there all day and once you've seen it...I dunno maybe its just me but I dont see much excitement in seeing it again in the same Disney trip...whereas a good ride you can go on again and again..oh well all speculation but probably nothing will happen for some time ...unless they do something useful with the old Millionaire space...again heard diff rumors whats goin in there ...I think the last I heard was a toy story ride but that could have changed totally

• Banned User

Two new attractions are currently planned for the Studios. None of the Backlot Tour will need to be removed in order to install these two new attractions.

• Banned User

if you remove the studio tour and catastrophy canyon you have tons of space to expand. the tour is outdated and frankly a waste of time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, Millionaire was a casualty for expansion. I much rather would have kept that and lost the Tour, or revised it in some form instead of keeping it as a shadow as its former self.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Blog Entries

Two new attractions are currently planned for the Studios.
    I know about the toy story ride dubbed Midway Mania. The only other thing I've even heard bantered around would be the extra cost broadway style show that a survey was done on recently. I wouldn't consider that an extra attraction for MGM since its just another extra pay event. What is the other attraction?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

There were rumors floating about a Nightmare Before Christmas dark ride. I doubt it's really happening, but wishful thinking for me.

• Banned User

If they built that... then rehabbed mansion anyway... we would all be happy..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I think the world would be a better place for that.

• Banned User

why put a broadway style extra pay show at MGM? that seems silly to me. there is still plenty of room at the resort to build a state of the art theater if they want to or better yet, put it at downtown disney. maybe get rid of curce.