Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• If We Can Dream It...

Lightbulb A simple idea for UOE...

I think I have found a way to refurb the Universe of Energy that will appeal to most of the public and is co$t effective to appeal to WDW management.

My Idea:
    The show will follow the same premise with Ellen Degeneres & Alex Trebek returning to their rolls. By doing this, you can cut some costs down by being able to re-use safety spiels, signage & more. It also doesn't hurt that Ellen's popularity has soared again because of her talk show. This time though Dr. Judy Peterson (stupid judy) will be played by.....Kelly Rippa, this switch allows for a more common, comedic, actor to take over for Jaimie Lee Curtis, an actress who's career has cooled quite a bit over the years. Using Kelly is logical because she already has a career with disney, and because of the character she's playing there is a small amount of comedic irony added in. Finally, Bill Nye could be replaced, and I know many will cringe, by Regis Philbin. Once again, this is logical because of his existing contract with Disney. As for the films, theater 1 & the pre-show's films could just be re-shot with little to no script changes. No changes to the diorama, other than the introductory audio and re-introduction of smelitzers to the diorama. And lastly, theater 2's films could be rewritten, updated to showcase the latest energy needs, discoveries, etc. The riddiculous blacklight radio tower & broadcast could be removed/replaced. By what, I'm not quite sure. Like I said, I think this way of a refurb could appeal to many with it's cost, freshness, and lack of disney characters.

Thoughts? Comments?
    - Horizonsfan

Thumbs up Re: A simple idea for UOE...

Oh yeah, ditch the Bill Nye thing. He's ancient history, in addition to having a bad rep for being an a-hole in person. How bout getting the Mythbusters or someone like that on it instead? They're around NOW, they're hip, cool, and more people know 'em.

• If We Can Dream It...

Re: A simple idea for UOE...

Wow! I never knew Bill Nye was a jerk in real life!

Myth Busters isn't a bad idea but, I'm not sure how lasting of "celebrities" they are.
    - Horizonsfan

• ...TWO BITS!

When I first rode this attraction back in summer 2002 (also being my first WDW trip), the only thing that appealed to me was the ride vehicles. The dinorama and films were interesting for a while. To me, it doesn't really have a great repeatability...

Unfortunately, what you're proposing just doesn't appeal to me much. It might appeal to others though

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Blog Entries

UOE needs something drastic to regain popularity. The Ellen overlay just makes the whole experience even shallower. At least under the old system it had the wonderfully cool screen with all the portions that moved and told the story and experience well. Now it just seems like a lame ride with a jeopardy overlay. I'd rather see it lose all of the shallow characters (even though I like Ellen) and get back to a more serious but still fun tone.

• Disney: A Way of Life

I could never, ever see replacing Bill Nye with Regis Philbin...Regis and Energy do not make sense whatsever to me. I mean, going back to the age of the dinosaurs with Regis seems ridiculous. But the ride does need an upgrade, when I go to WDW it is just a long ride to cool down from the sometimes insanely high Florida temperatures.
    "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    UOE needs something drastic to regain popularity. The Ellen overlay just makes the whole experience even shallower. At least under the old system it had the wonderfully cool screen with all the portions that moved and told the story and experience well. Now it just seems like a lame ride with a jeopardy overlay. I'd rather see it lose all of the shallow characters (even though I like Ellen) and get back to a more serious but still fun tone.
    I have to agree with kcnole on this one. I would love them to avoid putting well known faces in the attraction and get back to something that is more serious but still interesting. The problem with the new UOE is that they felt they had to add some kind of story to the attraction when one really isn't needed. Also everytime I see the pathetic pre-show for UOE I think of the original Radok preshow with the moving tiles which was amazing!

Blog Entries

Thanks I couldn't think of the name of the preshow. Those radok tiles were something else.

• If We Can Dream It...

Well, no offense is taken here, that idead took me literally 5 seconds to come up with. As for returning it to the original: bad idea! The pre-show was cool in the way it worked, but, past that it was probably the driest pavilion in future world. A good future world pavilion has about 50-60% education & about 50-40% entertainment, the original UOE had about 80% education (IMO). Some may disagree with me but, returning to the original script and show format is asking for trouble. Try and keep in mind the fact that what the day customer wants and what AP's/Disney Fans want are somewhat different, not saying that's a good thing, just a fact.
    - Horizonsfan

Blog Entries

I didn't say to return it to the original, just that it needed to be something entirely different than it is now. The Ellen overlay makes the attraction very shallow. I don't know if you ever saw the radok tiles in the original but they were a marvel, unfortunately they were hard to keep working, but they were great when they were.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Those radok tiles in the original were amazing, but I still thought that the original exhibit was still very dry. It's like they wanted to showcase the dinosaur technology but didn't spend much (ahem) energy developing a cohesive way to present it.

As far as how to revitalize it, I'm not so sure that it could be done without gutting a majority (if not the whole thing) of the attraction and starting over. Possibly minimizing the dino part of it and incorporating more scenes of different energy sources. A solar energy room with a blazing hot sun, a wind tunnel with turbines surrounding the ride vehicles, a steam room, a mini-dam with mist spraying at the riders, and maybe even a room where there's a huge working Tesla coils in addition to the dinos might work well.
    I don't know, but when I think of energy, I tend to think of action (not
    necessarily thrills) and there's a lack of it in UoE. All one remembers from it is the dinos, not the message.

Blog Entries

I agree. I think that if they were going to do a minor refurb where they changed the ride that I'd rather see it go back to a more educational and less shallow experience, but I do remember being bored outside of the preshow and dinosaur portion as a kid.

I'd like to see your idea in some form. It would take gutting the entire building but turn it into a dark ride. Cut out the movies and make it a ride through various energy displays. I think Epcot needs more classic dark ride type experiences since Horizons and WOM left and that's an area that could use one. It's a shame, out of the original pavilions that I would have not minded losing at all, UOE is the first one on my list. I'd have definitely wanted to lose it before Horizons.

I'd really like to see them get a good sponsor there to give it a major refurb. You'd think with the amount of money that the oil companies are taking in right now and the beating they're taking in the press that they could use some good PR. This would be a good place to do it.

• If We Can Dream It...

I love the idea of a dark ride, so don't get me wrong when I say this: The problem with turning it into a dark ride is that you would have to have MAJOR reconstruction of the building. Plus, it would be very crammed in there since you would have to construct a queue and more. Of course this is all figuring that they would build an Epcot quality queue and ride.

I think the current ride is still some what educational, especially in the second theater.
    - Horizonsfan

• We Choose to Go!

All ideas are encouraged and welcomed! Even poor ones (not implying Horizon's idea is! might have a springboard effect toward more acceptible ones. The premise though was to update with more current celebreties. This is where this attraction misses it's mark. It is about real people. Current people. While most figures are cartoony like the Pirates at POTC (except for Jack) or based on set historical examples like the Presidents or those in American Adventure, UOE has a real person. Not somebody in a film persona, like Jack or those in Great Movie Ride, but somebody on television as themselves. This is 'the bad idea'. Disney tried to play on popularity with an actor from their TV shows. Just think if they did it with Tim Allen? Or Drew Carry? In all cases the show would soon become dated, and guests would be focusing on the peronality rather that the show. Take out Ellen et al, put in more dinosaurs (use the 'angler fish' sytem on those teradactyls flying overhead) and create some real cool new ride effects. Make it timeless with no dated references to what is cool or popular today.

• If We Can Dream It...

I'm glad to hear other people's ideas and thoughts on the pavilion. (so please do!) In a way, with how future world is "supposed" to work, all pavilions eventually become dated (with old information) and are "supposed" to be redone every 10 years.
    - Horizonsfan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast